YouTube complaint

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Jelly Roll Horton, Aug 30, 2020.

1. Jelly Roll Horton

Jelly Roll Horton Country Gent

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    I am this close to giving up on YT. It seems most of the music videos I click on give me an error message and won’t load. This is a fairly recent and consistent situation. None of the suggested "fixes" work. There is a wealth of material there for learning, jamming, and practice, but it’s not accessible in any reliable way. No problem with ads, though! They load every time! It used to be a great site. :cool: I suspect google got too rich, and needed more money. :rolleyes:
    End of rant.

thunder58 likes this.
  2. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    That stinks. Perhaps a connection issue? Otherwise, demand a refund o_O

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2020
    Waxhead likes this.
  3. rake_ether

rake_ether Gretschie

Aug 24, 2019
    Athens, GA USA
    Hmm, don't have any idea what that problem could be. I've had no issues with YT and have watched a number of videos this weekend and in the past.

4. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Synchromatic

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    I spend too much time watching YT videos, average an hour or more every day and have for years.
    Today the site is working flawlessly for me, just as it always has. No changes even with the recent Win10 upgrade.

I've used free adblockers for years with absolutely no problems. Never see an ad, never get any wait while they load, just seamless videos with no indication there are any advertisements being blocked.

Currently uBlock Origin is working perfectly for me.

Edit: I've seen that sometimes flaky, badly-written advertisements can cause computer problems that get blamed on the service. Blocking those ads really helps.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2020
  5. OzzPocket

OzzPocket Gretschie

Aug 11, 2020
    NYS
    No problems here.....not sure what browser you're using....try clearing your cache/cookies.....sometimes things get "messed up" and that can fix it.......also, the old stand-by (if you haven't tried it)....restart the computer.....but clear your cache/cookies first.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2020
    Tadhg, pmac11 and ZackyDog like this.
  6. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    Yes, this.

7. Jelly Roll Horton

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    All Apple devices.

Z-dog, I've run all those.

Here's the message I get:

An error occurred. Please try again later. (Playback ID: vc1jIOJtmxdQzQAu)
    Learn More

The "Learn More suggests what you suggested.

I run AdBlocker, but it's disabled for YT.

8. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    If it says that there's an error, just hit refresh. That's a rare problem for me. Otherwise, I have no issues with yootoob.
    Adblocker works wonders.

9. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    Sorry, no problems with youtube other than how a series of ads are embedded in some videos at different points during the video....annoying.

TheMicster and OzzPocket like this.
  10. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Updated to latest OS? I run all Apple too and have no problem. My problem is when I search for something, often clicking a link on the Google results will tell me there’s an error.

Tadhg likes this.
  11. Gregor

Gregor Synchromatic

Oct 17, 2018
    New Brunswick, Canada
    No YT concerns here and I use it a lot as well. Particularly like the looper and custom speed functions for learning songs. No idea how to help you..I use Adblock as well with Windows 10
    and have no problem.

12. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    When did you start getting the error, before or after what’s happening at your location? It might be related is what I’m suggesting. That’s all I can say on the subject considering the rules.

13. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    It’s almost impossible to address some of these issues, because what one person sees when they visit a page is not what someone else will see. That applies here at G-T, at YouTube, and pretty much anywhere else. Advertising drives the Internet and most Internet advertising is directed to a specific user and their browsing histories. That isn’t Gretsch-Talk at work, it is pretty much everywhere.

There is an Internet site I visit which is not in the U.S. If I open that site, I will see adds for Sinasoid Cables, because I was looking for a specific cable a week or so back and checked out Sinasoid’s site. During the prior visit, I saw ads from Sweetwater. If you search for information about New Zealand, don’t be surprised if you see adds for New Zealand vacations.

Unfortunately, some ads are poorly formatted and cause problems. Ironically, the web sites where these ads appear usually don’t have any way to even know the content of most ads. Sometimes there will be users here at G-T who are going through a living hell because of some ad, and if I try to duplicate the problem, I see something completely different. About all anyone can do is fall back on the old adages, clear you browser cache, spin around and click your heels three times. I assure you, I donkt like it any more than you do.

IMO, YouTube has peaked. When I visit, I commonly see ads for paid YouTube services. It’s free, but less free than it used to be. Depending upon the video, the ads can be ridiculous. The other day, I watched something about an hour long and was treated to the same ad for Walgreen’s every 5 minutes or so.

bone likes this.
  14. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    @Jelly Roll Horton , this happened to me a few weeks ago .

I called my carrier ( Verizon ) and asked them to trouble shoot with me as they " taped into " my computer . She cleared the cache / cookies thing with me as @OzzPocket and @ZackyDog have recommended . I also cleared all the " history " on my computer . I have an Apple MAC .

The rep had stated that it's possible that my computer is older ( my guess is it's 10 yrs old ) and cannot support " some " of the newer technology out there .
    The rep suggested contacting You Tube which is impossible ... sorry .

With all that was said and done , it seemed that my problem fixed itself within a week and a half . Keep doing everything you can and be patient , it may all work out

ZackyDog likes this.
  15. Tadhg

Tadhg Gretschie

Aug 8, 2019
    Qld - Australia
    Yep - that's a valid issue. I was on a 2008 iMac the other day. Running OS X 10.8.4. Safari wouldn't open YouTube. Chrome would, but Chrome no longer supports that old a copy of OS X. I updated OS X to 10.11 (last version for a 2008 iMac - had to upgrade RAM), problems went away.[/USER]

JeffreyLeePierre and thunder58 like this.
  16. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    I've been getting that same message more often these days. I suspect it's an older computer compatibility issue. Time to upgrade or you'll be left behind.

17. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Gretschie

Nov 18, 2019
    Beaverton, OR, USA
    Apple devices, as in what exactly? iPhone? iPod Touch? macOS system (MacBook, iMac, etc.)?

18. Jelly Roll Horton

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    All of those, except the ipod.

19. Jelly Roll Horton

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    Running all current operating systems. Ipad and macbook are new. I’ll try ckearing the cache again, and see if that works, though it hasn’t in the past.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.