Your very favorite comfort food(s)?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by TSims1, Aug 25, 2020.

1. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Gretschie

Nov 18, 2019
    Beaverton, OR, USA
    Some of my favorite comfort foods:
    - Meatloaf (I make my own sometimes)
    - Americanized/westernized Chinese restaurant combo meals - It seems there's a certain style of this that are done by only some Chinese restaurants. They don't all do combo meals the same way, and some don't seem to make combo meals at all, offering just a main dish and rice etc.. I like the type of Chinese combo meals that have maybe 3-4 items, like subgum chow mein, sweet & sour pork, fried sesame chicken, pork fried rice, etc.. Something like this (and similar types of combo meals):
    [​IMG]

- Hamburgers
    - Snack foods like potato chips, shoestring potatoes, corn chips, etc.. Also when I was in Brazil, I discovered Brazilian cheese bread (päo de queijo) sold in many cafes & restaurants, and there's now a company that sells a frozen version in the US that you can bake in the oven: https://brazibites.com
    - Banana bread

JeffreyLeePierre and ZackyDog like this.
  2. CatTones

CatTones Gretschie

Jul 28, 2017
    Boston
    Wow keep it up everyone it’s really interesting on what people eat and especially when it’s coming from peoples different backgrounds Awesome Love it.

me it’s Pizza Pizza and then Tacos !!!

cheers !!!!!

rockinforJesus and TubeLife like this.
  3. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

Once upon a time in China, I was honored with a deboned duck foot. I was told to dig in as it was very special.

CatTones, Zeek and TSims1 like this.
  4. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

So.....did you? And....?

CatTones likes this.
  5. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

I recall trying to pick it up with some chop sticks and it sort of dangled from them like a limp glove. It was at a banquet with a lot of stuff going around so i was able to hide it somewhere on my plate:oops:

CatTones likes this.
  6. Pcampbell

Pcampbell Gretschie

Feb 26, 2017
    Memphis, Tennessee
    If you're just going to go all out, it's tough to beat a plate of cheese fries (and don't hold back on the bacon on those cheese fries, either). Just don't tell the arteries what you're doing.

bone likes this.
  7. Lacking Talent

Lacking Talent Synchromatic

Aug 5, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Oh, Yes. For maximum comfort, that absolutely must accompany a late breakfast of har gow, shumai, soup dumplings, spare ribs, baked sweet barbecue pork buns, sticky rice, etc., followed by a long midday nap.

ZackyDog and dougmon like this.
  8. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Malaysian Chicken Curry or Indonesian Beef Rendang. I'm up for all the spicy SE Asian food including Thai, Vietnamese, Burmese, Laotian. I regularly cook all these plus plenty of Indian dishes. Thai street food is particularly tasty.

Trash Kidd likes this.
  9. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    It's not all that it's quacked up to be.

I'll be here all week. Try the veal. Tip your waitress.

bone and CatTones like this.
  10. DennisC

DennisC Synchromatic

May 11, 2017
    Germany
    Hazelnut cookies work great, too.

And are easy to make. Flour, grinded hazelnut, sugar, about the same amount of each (this isn't rocket fuel, no precision required here), and then add vegetable oil (some solid kind of fat might work, too) while stirring with a machine until the dough builds little ... uh ... pieces ... of like a cm diameter that coagulate ... I hate washing my hands, so I avoid touching it, take two spoons and shovel and punch them into shape ... kinda shape, they look pretty random ... in the oven and they're ready when they're hard enough.

Add anything and they will be worse. Hazelnuts are among the best things you can eat anyway, because they taste like hazelnuts.

11. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I love spaghetti but it is murder to a diet. I was in a position once where an employer bounced every check for 9 months. I literally had one bowl every day for nine months! Didn’t eat it much after that for close to 20 years now I’ll eat a giant bowl every couple weeks. A great stew is a good comfort food or a well made sheppards pie! But my favorite is a good breakfast scramble or omelet with sausage gravy And a half order of biscuits and gravy! Or my absolute #1 would be hotdogs with cheese ketchup and tatter tots on top!

Last edited: Aug 29, 2020
    ZackyDog likes this.
  12. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Oh and let’s not forget poutine! The best place here uses smoked pork on theirs! So French fries cheese curds gravy and smoke pork! Mmmmmmm

pmac11 likes this.
  13. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Can't get poutine, good or bad, here in Hoosierland. You'd think that the Culver's burger chain could pull that off easily. They've got cheese curds, beef gravy and good fries. Poutine is a great 3AM after a gig meal. Alcohol may or may not have a factor in this.

pmac11 likes this.
  14. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Goodness, I have never had a Culver's meal I liked. I would hate to see them irreparably tarnish poutine's name!

15. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I'd rather do Culver's than McDonalds, tho that's not saying much. Culver's burgers are much like Steak n Shake. Culver's mushroom & Swiss burgers are fine.

Bertotti likes this.
  16. MTurner

MTurner Friend of Fred

Aug 17, 2010
    Clayton, North Carolina, USA
    I keep hearing about poutine here on the forum. I so want to try it. But finding it in North Carolina would be quite a trick.

Road trip to Canada!

pmac11 and new6659 like this.
  17. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    By a country mile... Pizza with a base of a well made tomato sauce, plenty of fresh herbs, and a decent cheese.

audept and Bertotti like this.
  18. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I was on the road for work last week and was in a hurry to finish a long drive sorry I stopped at McDonalds. I haven’t had one of their burgers for quite awhile and now I remember why. Made me so sick I was ill within an hour.

pmac11 and new6659 like this.
  19. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    French fries, add in cheese curds, cover in brown gravy. Simple. It's not rocket surgery.

pmac11 likes this.
  20. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    It is amazing how bad some places can manage to make it though. I was in a place in Savage Mn and theirs was ok. Now that I’ve had it with smoked pork I really miss it when it isn’t there. I would like to see someone use pepper jack cheese curds. Mmmmmmmmm. Thanks @TSims1 I think I’ve gained five pounds just reading this thread!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.