Your very favorite comfort food(s)?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by TSims1, Aug 25, 2020.

1. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    For me, nothing beats the Egyptian home cooking I grew up with. My mom is an Ontario farm girl, but when she married into my dad's Egyptian family, she learned how to cook all the Egyptian classics better than anyone.

Cinnamon beef stew with rice. Macarona bechamel (basically Egyptian lasagna, made with rigatoni and bechamel sauce and cinammon). Kofta. Lamb stew with okra. Fried boiled eggs. Fattah (rice with pita bread soaked in a garlicky broth). Grape leaves stuffed with meat and rice. Molokhia (jute mallow soup). Fried eggplant. Tamiya (falafel made with fava beans, parsley, and lots of garlic).

Suddenly I'm extremely hungry.

2. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Lol pretty much all of them. Some favorites are . . .

Won ton soup
    Paella
    Fried chicken, chicken fried steak, or fried fish

3. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

Reading this thread has gotten me thinking of baked pork chops with sauerkraut and sliced apples with mashed potatoes...

4. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Didn't mention poutine or maple syrup.
    I've spent a little time in Hamilton decades ago when the Studebaker factory was up and running. My Dad worked in R&D and we'd go up for a few weeks here and there when he'd set up machines. Being up there did get me started on malt vinegar on French fries, tho. I do enjoy a LaBatt's as well. What's funny is that the last time I was up there, I was mistaken for a local twice.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2020
    section2, pmac11, TSims1 and 2 others like this.
  5. oneforsorrow

oneforsorrow Gretschie

May 15, 2020
    Iowa
    I just finished peeling and seeding 5 lbs of Hatch green chili's. Roasted them on the grill with some hickory and while they were sweating, I cooked up some burgers from a local grower. Sauteed onions and fresh Hatch green chili's with some extra sharp Tillamook Cheddar on toasted buns with Hellman's mayo. Side dish was diced Japanese sweet potatoes tossed in olive oil and seasoned with smoked paprika, fresh pepper, and cinnamon (also roasted on the grill inside foil boats).

So either that, or pizza. Any pizza. I love pizza.

Oh, vanilla milk. Sometimes that's the cure for whatever ails me. Just some milk with a dash of sugar and a dash of vanilla mixed via stick blender and instant comfort.

@TSims1 Congrats on the weight loss. I need to lose 10 myself. Put it on when all our tour dates got cancelled.

@TV the Wired Turtle that actually sounds like a lovely elixer!

bone, section2, TSims1 and 3 others like this.
  6. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    I‘m a vegetarian since two months. Works great. I‘ve lost 8 kg within that time (17.6 lbs.) so I‘ve reached my ideal weight.
    My favorite comfort food?
    9E250321-9CAC-4688-98B4-924998C57136.jpeg
    Spaghetti aglio e olio!

7. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Almost any kind of junk food ..... but I've gotten away from it as I've gotten older . Candy is my favorite , then pizza , then chips . Here's a song I use to play a long time ago ..... Oh , I'm a big fan of shrimp scampi

Last edited: Aug 26, 2020
    ZackyDog and TSims1 like this.
  8. michelb

michelb Gretschie

Mar 27, 2020
    Belgium
    Slow cooked: T-Bone, ribeye, pulled porc, pulled beef
    Pasta: Carbonnara, Mac 'n Cheese, bolognese, pesto and chicken, tiger chrimps, ... (if it's a good combo I'll fall in love with it)
    beef burgers with the perfect pistolet bun, bacon, egg and abbey cheese.

section2, ZackyDog and TSims1 like this.
  9. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    Mmmm... good question.
    I like to eat and to cook as well.
    I’m not vegetarian (at all :)) but I love salads. Raw Radicchio salad mix (a variety of it that in Italy is called ‘Radicchio Cicorino’ not as bitter tasting as the regular Radicchio salad that you probably already have heard or ate of. It could be either green or red and usually grow up only in Autumn and only in certain Central Italian regions) are godsend. You add some ‘Ox Heart’ tomato slice (a type of tomato not too sweet but with a very ‘meaty’ consistency with the shape of, you know, a heart), some olive oil, a drop or two of apple vinegar, sprinkle some sea salt and you’re set.
    I could eat that every day for the rest of my life.

10. Robbie

Robbie Friend of Fred

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    Grilled Cheese, Prime Rib Roast Beef and Mary Browns Fried Chicken

section2, ZackyDog and TSims1 like this.
  11. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Italian food seems to be one of the most popular choices in the US. My best friend's Italian mom always had a kettle of tomato sauce bubbling away on the stove. I couldn't get out of their house without a second supper. Having had Italian friends, I can't eat at places like Olive Garden. I'm used to the real thing. Same with Mexican food. Oddly, the best lasagna I've ever had was in London, England. Go figure.

Conversely, I'm not at all partial to most Polish foods. Pierogi, kielbasa, mushrooms, dill pickles, and some pastries are great, but I can't handle most of it, sadly. Gas inducing cabbage, borscht (was a constant meal when Studebakers was on lay-offs or they were on strike), pickled pig's feet, head cheese, kiszka (blood sausage, like haggis but with garlic), onions in everything, and fish. Both of my grandmothers were Polish. One could cook amazing meals. The other, well, couldn't. She was a sweetheart, could get roses to grow on rocks, but she would boil steak. Thankfully, my Mom learned tp cook from hers.

One great thing about America is that we truly are a melting pot. We get such a variety of different tastes and foods from all of the folks that have settle here. I've learned to love gyros and red pepper steak, kabobs and BBQ, pastries of all sorts (kieflies, anyone?) and everything else from A to Z. Bon Appetit!

section2, ZackyDog, TubeLife and 2 others like this.
  12. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    It was the grilled corn on the cob that caught my eye. The fried bologna sandwich pushed it over the top.

section2 likes this.
  13. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    Toronto is wildly multi cultural with excellent food from all over the world. That being said, the best Thai food I ever had was in Brunswick Maine. Across the road from the Naval Air Base.

14. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    I’m Italian and I cook Italian and my girlfriend is Mexican and she cooks great Mexican food. Between the two of us we will never be skinny.

audept, new6659, Robbie and 8 others like this.
  15. toddfan

toddfan Synchromatic

Mar 12, 2012
    Kansas
    Without a doubt:

BBQ

16. GretschPraise

GretschPraise Gretschie

Jun 26, 2017
    Tampa Bay
    It's hard to imagine 14 extra lbs on your thin frame Tony. If you think it's tough now, just wait till you pass 40! LOL. Listen to the wife, eat healthy whole foods, and work some serious cardio into your daily routine. You'll thank yourself when you're 65. As for comfort foods, my current habit is organic blue corn chips with roasted red pepper humus, washed down with cabernet or merlot (red wine is for heart health ;-)

section2 and oneforsorrow like this.
  17. Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser Country Gent

Jan 14, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Mexican, but it has to be in a state which is not more than one state away from the border.

oneforsorrow and ZackyDog like this.
  18. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Country Gent

Choucroute:

choucroute-garnie.jpeg
    The Alsace way.

But what I have for lunch most of the times when homeworking is a basic continental breakfast: a large bowl of warm chocolate (Banania brand, at least 4 times the recommended dose so that it's black and thick), fresh baguette bread and butter (extra large dose there again). Plus maybe one fresh croissant. When I used to go often in Spain for work, I was bringing Paladin chocolate powder back home. Even better than Banania. Yummy if not healthy..

bone, new6659, section2 and 1 other person like this.
  19. Trash Kidd

Trash Kidd Country Gent

Dec 14, 2015
    London U.K.
    Indian curry for me please!

audept, Dave-B, calebaaron666 and 5 others like this.
  20. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    YESSSS!. I have yet to meet a family here in America that thinks of Indian the way we do back home in the UK. (Except Americans of Indian decent of course). It’s a staple food in my family and three of the five of us consider it our favorite ethnic food.
    Fortunately there is a great Indian neighborhood with dozens of restaurants and stores here in Chicago. I miss having Indian takeaway after a night in the pub though!

section2 and Trash Kidd like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.