Your Gear of the Year

drmilktruck

I Bleed Orange
May 17, 2009
Plymouth, MN
Well, lets see. I’m in this forum because I got my first Gretsch this year so I’d have to nominate my 6609 Players Series Broadkaster. How could I not, with top shelf MIJ build quality, amazing tone (thank you Full’Trons), great playability (love that neck and ebony fretboard), and IMO one of the most beautiful finishes I’ve ever seen. Perfect bookmatched flame maple.

792c113b-d96e-48fd-a9fd-dbe9fff2774d-jpeg.172084

View attachment 172084 View attachment 172085 View attachment 172086 View attachment 172087

That is one damn pretty guitar! I wouldn't kick it out of bed for eating crackers.

WingZero

Electromatic
Oct 21, 2021
Québec City, Canada
Oh that's cool. I'm glad it works for you!

After a long wait I had one finally delivered today.. and it doesn't work properly. It's stuck in a reboot loop. Only way to get it to work is to unplug the unit completely for 5 minutes and restart from there. Then you get about 20 minutes to play before the reboot loop restarts.

It's frustrating.. and I'm probably just going to get my money back and stick with my trusty pedal board (which I was hoping to ditch).
Man that sucks, I'd suggest to try contact their support first, they have been quite fast at replacing defective units in the early batches, don't know how it works now.

:D:D
Yeah, this has been on my radar since it came out and hopefully I’ll get one in ‘22. Had to hold off since I bought my 6609 this year. Being able to capture pedals as well as amps is a big draw for me done I have about 3 dozen pedals. :D

What I like the most is the sound, its damn good, but also the ease of use and form factor. Just to give you an idea, yesterday at a rehearsal, my band mate tube amp broke as he was getting ready to play his first chords. in 2 minutes I had a very basic setup (clean, crunch, lead) ready for him on my actual patches and routed independently. he could play the whole night. Of course it was not perfect, I did it in 2 minutes, maybe if I had taken 4 minutes it would have been

Ktone

Electromatic
Oct 31, 2021
SE PA USA
What I like the most is the sound, its damn good, but also the ease of use and form factor. Just to give you an idea, yesterday at a rehearsal, my band mate tube amp broke as he was getting ready to play his first chords. in 2 minutes I had a very basic setup (clean, crunch, lead) ready for him on my actual patches and routed independently. he could play the whole night. Of course it was not perfect, I did it in 2 minutes, maybe if I had taken 4 minutes it would have been
Good to hear it’s that easy on the fly. And you can have, what, 4 instruments input at once, right? And they each can have there own unique signal path?

64ChevSS

Gretschie
Dec 24, 2016
Innisfil, Ontario
I couldn't help myself - I bought another cheap, vintage, Canadian made solid state amp.
It is the bigger brother of the TS-15 that I already have two of. Got it for $70 in excellent shape for a 40 year old amp and only a two minute detour on my way home from work.

Mic's Traynor TS-20.jpg

Much better than the TS-15 - master volume and real spring reverb added and a 10" AlNiCo speaker. Capable of loud cleans and a bit of breakup - but the distortion sucks pretty bad.

For some reason I like these old Traynor TS amps - set it up clean and when I dig in a bit I get a bit of crunch that suits my crappy playing.

WingZero

Electromatic
Oct 21, 2021
Québec City, Canada
Good to hear it’s that easy on the fly. And you can have, what, 4 instruments input at once, right? And they each can have there own unique signal path?
Yes, I was using 2 already because depending on the songs I use my strat (input 1), or my gretsch (input 2). no need to unplug/plug everytime. I just put the guitar on the stand and take the other one. No need to cut the volume or sound either as in every preset I could specify which input were ON or OFF.

Ktone

Electromatic
Oct 31, 2021
SE PA USA
Yes, I was using 2 already because depending on the songs I use my strat (input 1), or my gretsch (input 2). no need to unplug/plug everytime. I just put the guitar on the stand and take the other one. No need to cut the volume or sound either as in every preset I could specify which input were ON or OFF.
Yes, the QC seems like a really awesome piece of tech. The DSP power, touch screen, and organizational design are really attractive when considering against a Kemper, or Helix. Downsides currently are the number of amp captures built in, the number and quality of the effects (per reviewers), and the lack of a PC or Mac app to create/edit conveniently without only using the touch screen and dials. Also a lack of easy access to community captures is another issue I’ve heard about. All of the downsides are due to the QC being in early production and will be overcome as some time passes but for now, these things are what make people like me still think about a Kemper or Helix. I’ve pretty much decided on the QC but since I have a good collection of amps and pedals, I can take my time and be sure.

hcsterg

Friend of Fred
Feb 13, 2012
France
You had me at blue! (I wish I could like Duesenberg more. They make great guitars but should be honest about where the instruments come from.)

Yes. It's somewhat like Swiss watches : if 50% of the parts and the final assembly are made in Switzerland, the watch can bear the mention "Swiss Made"... :D

I wonder if the Duesenberg woodwork is not made by Samick, in Korea ? o_O

A+!

afire

Friend of Fred
Feb 12, 2009
Where the action is!
No guitars in 2021. But I have been busy wasting money nonetheless. My GOTY is a toss-up.

1931 Alpina-Gruen Techni-Quadron in 18k gold. It's a grail kind of watch. These Doctor's watches (so-named for the oversized seconds register, allegedly useful for taking a pulse) are pretty much the pinnacle of Gruen watches I've had a few over the years in silver or steel, but picking one up in 18k solid gold in practically unused condition after 90 years, at a price I could live with is something that's taken over 20 years of hunting.
IMG_0567.jpg

1923 Gruen Precision 14k green gold tank. It's an uncatalogued model, not something I was looking for or even knew existed. It kind of fell into my lap. It's a little more understated than my usual taste in watches, but it's perfectly proportioned and very elegant on the wrist. It's almost the only watch I've been wearing since getting it a few months ago.
IMG_0745-XL.jpg

WingZero

Electromatic
Oct 21, 2021
Québec City, Canada
Yes, the QC seems like a really awesome piece of tech. The DSP power, touch screen, and organizational design are really attractive when considering against a Kemper, or Helix. Downsides currently are the number of amp captures built in, the number and quality of the effects (per reviewers), and the lack of a PC or Mac app to create/edit conveniently without only using the touch screen and dials. Also a lack of easy access to community captures is another issue I’ve heard about. All of the downsides are due to the QC being in early production and will be overcome as some time passes but for now, these things are what make people like me still think about a Kemper or Helix. I’ve pretty much decided on the QC but since I have a good collection of amps and pedals, I can take my time and be sure.
I think you are right on pretty much everything, I don't really agree on the quantity of amps being a problem, yes it pales compared to the 200 of AxeFx, but it covers every genre possible, and you have a ton of included captures. Where it lacks the most is effects, you don't have a lot of options I agree, I am not a big effect guy and I think they are minimal. But what is there is good. As you mention its in early stage.
The editor to me is no big deal as I think its very easy to do your setup on the device, what I'd like is a PC data management, having access to 1000s of captures quickly makes the device unorganized, its easy to get lost, and not to make it tidy, this currently is IMO the biggest drawback in term of experience. Consider this though, at the moment an Helix or Kemper is not going to be a lost if you ever buy a QC, you could capture profiles or helix models and then sell them, same goes for your amps ;)