Your first electric guitar. Pic's or it didn't happen.

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by rockinforJesus, Sep 3, 2017.

1. markeebee

markeebee Country Gent

My first was a Rapier too. Mine was the Wilson branded model and had slightly different pickups and controls to the one in your picture, same as this one:

[​IMG]

Within about a year I had stripped the finish off because I thought wood finished guitars were more 'classy'. I made a right pig's ear of it and it looked awful.

2. arty

arty Gretschie

Aug 5, 2017
    Wales UK
    There is some good stuff here. My first was a Dallas Tuxedo, then a Futurama then a Burns Sonic. They would make good money nowadays. A Tuxedo was found in John Lennons attic a while ago and it sold for loadsa money Happy days (sigh)

rockinforJesus likes this.
  3. Mudshark

Mudshark Synchromatic

Jul 20, 2012
    Canada
    IMG_0450.jpg
    Raven guitar: Although this photo taken at a local guitar guitar show I still have mine in a case downstairs.

Raven was first electric, my first acoustic was also a Raven because my father ’s hardware company sold Raven guitars. Raven was brand of guitars made for a Canadian importer in the 60's. They were manufactured by the Matsumoku Factory in Japan which made all sorts of guitars under license. At (Simpson) Sears this guitar may have been branded Pan or Silvertone. Bolt on neck but very playable guitar for a 12 year old who wanted to be a rock star.

thunder58 and rockinforJesus like this.
  4. hcsterg

hcsterg Friend of Fred

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    The 1st electric I touched was in 1968. I was intrigued by this red and white bizarre stringed instrument that belonged to a cousin of mine. He offered me to play it unplugged, sat on his bed and the guitar resting on my knees like a lap steel, because I was a child unable to handle it. It was nothing else than a Dakota Red Fender Stratocaster in a rough brown case lined orange. Sorry, no pics...

The 1st electric I played was a right-hand Fender Lead II, all black, in early 1980. A (wealthy) friend of mine, who had bought a Les Paul, had lent it to me so we could (try to) play together. Sorry again, no pics...

The 1st electric I bought was my venerable 1980 Left-Handed Gibson ES335-TD, with matching case. I was a student and worked all my holiday time to afford her in summer 1981. So she was a 2nd hand guitar, and let me tell you that lefty guitars were nonexistent in local shops of my region, at that time. I paid 5500 Francs for her, that is to say the equivalent of 839 Euros today. The shopkeeper was a cool man (a kind of Larry Carlton clone) and he accepted a deposit for the reservation, telling me "once you'll get her, you'll never part with her..." He was right : I still own her. So, picture :

[​IMG]

A+!

5. PDMan

PDMan Electromatic

Dec 26, 2016
    Nashville, TN
    My first electric guitar was a Telecaster Thinline, which I purchased new in 1973 and still own. It originally was bright yellow with a pearloid pickguard, but over the years, it has darkened considerably and the pickguard has turned pinkish. It was stolen about 20 years ago but I found it on EBay and got it back. The picture was taken when the guitar was just a couple of years old. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
    thunder58, Dave-B, db62 and 3 others like this.
  6. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    My first guitar was a global. Not sure of the model but it looked similar to this one. I had it 6 months then bought an Ibanez PF-200 in wine red like this one. I don't have pictures I can get to of either one and I don't still have them
    IMG_3374.JPG IMG_3375.JPG

7. benjwri

benjwri Country Gent

Oct 27, 2011
    Central ON Can
    This is my third electric...the first two had a short stay. Purchased in '59 but I can only find this one from '60. As you can see I was still a kid! My'59Annie.jpg

thunder58, Dave-B, G DynaTron and 3 others like this.
  8. emitex

emitex Synchromatic

Aug 21, 2014
    NYC
    Mid-70s Ampeg GE-500 Super Stud

[​IMG]

9. Rusty Silver

Rusty Silver Synchromatic

American Stratocaster standard 1990 suburst.

Sold few years ago, sadly no pictures saved....

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
  10. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    My first was this 1965 Kent Polaris 1. My dad bought it for me brand new and I played the daylights out of it. Once it was a sunburst. I took this pic 15 minutes ago.

PS: I haven't touched it in three years - it was still in tune.

Kent Polaris 1.jpg

11. PDMan

PDMan Electromatic

Dec 26, 2016
    Nashville, TN
    My dad had a "Zim-Gar" that was very similar to this. It was originally sunburst, but he sanded it down and painted it white. Still plays and holds tune pretty well.

Tony65x55 likes this.
  12. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    It was a Maya Lead similar to this one but with a maple board. A real piece of sh*t of the lowest possible quality. Microphonic pickups. Awry-bolted-on neck and sharp frets.
    Got it brandnew as a christmas present funded by my parents, my grandparents and my godfather around 1979 or so. I was so happy.
    In these days it cost a ridiculouly high sum of money. Today you could buy two decent beginer`s guitars for the same price.
    ....Not everything was better in "the good old times". upload_2017-9-4_20-20-28.jpeg

13. hcsterg

hcsterg Friend of Fred

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    loundlousy, this guitar is the same black Fender Lead II that my pal lent to me in 1980. I remember that he bought it new for 3300 Francs, that is to say 504 Euros today. And yes, I agree : it was a ridiculously high sum of money...

A+!

loudnlousy likes this.
  14. My first purely electric guitar is a 1966 Fender Stratocaster. It was used for a lot of gigs in the late 60s and early 70s. It's in great shape.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

15. JC higgy

JC higgy Gretschified

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    The first electric guitar i owned was bought for me by my dad ,a used Satellite 65T like this below,it isn't mine ,i sold that a long time ago,in fact i may have given it away.I was only 9 or 10 at the time so dad didn't want to get anything too good, just in case i gave up.I have pics of me holding it back then but none in puter.

[​IMG]

16. Highroller

Highroller Country Gent

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Let's see ... 1972 (maybe '71) ... Japanese SG knockoff by a company called Bradley. It was the house brand at my local area music store. The case bit the dust years ago, and it's been decades since I've played it, but yes, I do still have it!

[​IMG]

btw, note that groovin' shag carpet! LoL! Ah, the '70's!

---

17. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Friend of Fred

I started on an Alvarez acoustic. I wasn't all in when I decided to try electric, so I got a First Act ME502. It was just like this except it was blue and came with a practice amp. I didn't appreciate the single bridge humbucker at the time, so even though I decided I like playing an electric, I gave the First Act to a young boy at the church, and I moved on to a Dean Evo XM. I gave that one to my nephew when he wanted to learn to play, and I moved up to Epiphone LP, and I had that one until this last year.
    [​IMG]

18. Kitvin713

Kitvin713 Gretschie

Jan 10, 2017
    Fresno, CA, U.S.A.
    IMG_3896.JPG My first is this squier bullet strat that came is one of those value packs still plays fine despite ten years of abuse. I've blocked off the trem because I broke the arm off inside it and never got it out. Sanded all the paint off it was black. Right now I'm trying to rewire the pick guard because the pots are worn out. But it still plays good so what else really matters

19. organic

organic Synchromatic

Jan 22, 2011
    Worcester UK
    Strangely enough, I did the exact same thing and also made a mess of it :D

Also replaced the knobs with chickenhead ones.

20. Scarabeus

Scarabeus Gretschie

May 17, 2014
    Dallas
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.