Your Favourite Low-End Beater Guitar

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Stencil, Oct 22, 2021.

1. wabash slim

wabash slim I Bleed Orange

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I got an early '60s Danelectro Convertible in a trade for a well used EV 635 mike.

LivingMyDream, mrfixitmi and Stencil like this.
  2. Dumbthumbs

Dumbthumbs Gretschie

Nov 28, 2020
    New Mexico
    In my hacienda the humidity stays very low. No toddlers, dogs or curious pickers. So, I leave them uncased. As for a beater, I suppose the G5120 is my grabbit. Cheapest Gretsch I own and surprisingly the most stable as far as tuning. G5120.jpg
    Oh, and its kinda purdy.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2021
  3. dswo

dswo Electromatic

Apr 8, 2017
    East Carolina
    Does that guitar play as good as it looks?

4. Stingray70

Stingray70 Electromatic

Oct 18, 2021
    Michigan
    I'm seeing what I consider to be some really nice "beater" guitars on here...

On the other hand, I think I have what most people would consider a "very low end," $143 on sale, guitar that I think punches well above it's weight. It's an Indio "Helix" that sits out and gets played almost every day. I don't play this guitar just because it's always handy, I play it because I really like it. I am able to play this guitar better than I play many of my helix.jpg more expensive guitars. It just suits me and how I play. The shape of the headstock and the feel of the neck are are somewhat similar to an Ibanez, only not quite as extreme as a "wizard" neck. The body is similar to a Jackson "Dinky."

The bridge humbucker, although low in output, has a really nice sounding "crunch." The single coil middle and neck pickups don't sound at all "Stratty," but they nevertheless do have some interesting clean tones. It has a 2 point Wilkinson bridge and will stay in tune for days as long as I don't get too aggressive with the whammy bar which really isn't my thing anyway.. The fretboard is dead level, slightly rounded and has zero fret buzz and once set has been very stable.

I don't know, maybe I just got lucky and got the best one out of the batch but I wouldn't part with this guitar for several times what I paid for it. IMHO it just goes to show that you can't always judge a guitar just by the name on the headstock.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2021
  5. markeebee

markeebee Country Gent

Wow, that's very, um, serendipitous.

I was going to make a NGD post about how chuffed I am with a cheap guitar that I picked up, and then suddenly there's a whole thread.....

Anyways, my friend is doing some recording with the singer from The Hives and has been sending my droolsome pictures of the early 60s Epiphone solid bodies that they're using.

So, I had a little look around and found this. 250 quid.

[​IMG]

It's a reissue of a '66 Wilshire, made in 2007 in Epiphone's factory in Indonesia.

And you know what? It's really really good. Light as a feather, super skinny neck, really low action, really bright and loud pickups. The guy I bought it from had obviously gigged it a lot, its pretty weather beaten but I kinda feel that adds to the appeal. It feels like the ultimate three chord punk rock guitar, and at the moment I'm genuinely enjoying more than my guitars that cost ten times as much.

6. markeebee

markeebee Country Gent

So, ah, I bought another one....

[​IMG]

7. NowEarThis

NowEarThis Gretschie

Jun 23, 2021
    Northern Rivers NSW Australia
    Don’t keep ‘em. If they’re not to my liking, I move them on…that is…for some stupid reason… I bought it in the first place.

mrfixitmi likes this.
  8. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    Squier Tele, best cheap guitar ever.

LivingMyDream and mrfixitmi like this.
  9. Stencil

Stencil Gretschie

Oct 19, 2009
    Gif-sur-Yvette, or the AF lounge
    Thanks for educating me. Prior to your post, I would have imagined some kind of Danelectro-branded 60s ragtop. ☺️

mrfixitmi and wabash slim like this.
  10. WingZero

WingZero Electromatic

Oct 21, 2021
    Québec City, Canada
    Godin SD, its such a beater that I have to re-assemble it. but for the price its a steal - like most Godin

Emmett, LivingMyDream and mrfixitmi like this.
  11. Lacking Talent

Lacking Talent Country Gent

Aug 5, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    At the moment, I'd have to say...

Grestch-JD-05-19-used-Like-New.jpg

Runamok and Emmett like this.
  12. Emmett

Emmett Gretschie

Feb 25, 2013
    New York / Iowa
    A few years ago I bought a beginners Squier Strat off Craigslist for $75. My plan was to have a guitar I could take anywhere and not care what happened to it. What did happen was it turned out to be an incredibly playable guitar with a beautiful neck profile. I've rarely seen cheap Squier guitars with a lot of neck wear but, if you look at mine, I think you'll agree that I got my money's worth.

Attached Files:

new6659 likes this.
  13. Emmett

Emmett Gretschie

Feb 25, 2013
    New York / Iowa
  14. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    Sandy Eggo
    41DBAA86-2EC4-42DA-B552-97B29E43E251.jpeg

My beater on the left, my oldest boy's beater bass, and my youngest sons best vintage snare

15. I like the motif. You don’t keep it in a case.
    You keep it in a junk drawer?

La de da de de, la de da de da

Last edited: Nov 23, 2021
  16. MIke M

MIke M Electromatic

Jul 28, 2021
    My Franken Tele
    92 Tele with new Roasted Neck, neck humbucker and area 58 Strat pickup for middle

Pull the Tone Control and get all 7 pickup configurations

IMG_3643.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.