Your Favourite Low-End Beater Guitar

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Stencil, Oct 22, 2021.

1. Stencil

Stencil Gretschie

Oct 19, 2009
    Gif-sur-Yvette, or the AF lounge
    G’day, eh,

Even in this isolated outpost of the GAS empire, I am sure that many of you have a sleeper / dark horse / Q-Ship / beater / ugly duckling / underestimated… guitar in your collection, that punches way above its weight.

It would be great to read these unsung heroes’ stories. Photos get you bonus points, as do non-Gretsch guitars.

My own contribution is my Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar, that cost about €350 new, plus another €350 of parts and a couple of days labour.
    36B0824E-03BA-4B51-9898-95BEB7D5A09D.jpeg

NowEarThis, Dumbthumbs, Floo and 13 others like this.
  2. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    " Beater Guitar " ..... never heard of such a thing :p

3. hcsterg

hcsterg Friend of Fred

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Well, I do not own such a guitar... :confused:

But it's me, OK ? :D

A+!

thunder58, Stencil and mrfixitmi like this.
  4. wabash slim

wabash slim I Bleed Orange

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    $50 Epi flattop. It's my "always out of the case" guitar.

5. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    For me it's probably between my RC320 (think I wound up ~$475-500 in total acquisition cost between the guitar & the mods):
    [​IMG]
    Club Jet (~$350 for guitar + parts):
    [​IMG]
    & DeArmond M65 (also around ~$350 after the mods IIRC):
    [​IMG]

Runamok, Jeff67, mister rain and 5 others like this.
  6. Mr Swisher

Mr Swisher Synchromatic

Jun 12, 2012
    England
    I'm so lazy if I kept mine in the cases I'd only ever play the same one. So they are all out all the time, in a big stand.

7. wabash slim

wabash slim I Bleed Orange

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Mine are cased due to humidity, toddler fingers, and dog's nose.

8. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Friend of Fred

Mine would be an Alex Chase Cobra 12-string electric. As I recall, it was right in the $300 neighborhood, and although it's no Ric, I do like it.

Alex Chase Cobra - 12 string -3.JPG

Attached Files:

BobbyMac, radd, Stencil and 6 others like this.
  9. capnhiho

capnhiho Country Gent

Feb 16, 2013
    California
    upload_2021-10-22_16-6-46.jpeg
    It’s been several years, but this one has been a favorite for a couple of reasons:
    1) It’s a GC Black Friday door buster Epi LP Special with P90’s (instead of the usual generic Epi buckers). I bought it for my granddaughter’s Christmas gift from Grandpa back in 2012. I think I paid 85 bucks for it.
    2) It’s also a labor of love… After a thorough setup it played and sounded fabulous! Action was low and stable, and the P90 tone was awesome… I actually preferred this guitar to my much pricier PRS SE Soapbar.

Her interest in guitar has diminished but she still has it nine years later…

Emmett, Mr Twangy, radd and 7 others like this.
  10. My hello kitty spectacular. It plays really well. Also has a Mathew mcaaughny sticker in the middle. That’s was added after the photo.

Attached Files:

11. mrfixitmi

mrfixitmi Country Gent

Mar 20, 2010
    Michigan
    The Johnson Swamp Stomper, bought it used for $6o. Great sound, plays well, and according to my 83 year old mother it doubles as a cheese grater.

Attached Files:

Jeff67, Stencil, new6659 and 2 others like this.
  12. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I d9nf know that I’d call it a “beater”, but I bought a used Squier ‘70s Thinline Tele from Winnie Thomas which has won a place in my heart. It’s not an expensive instrument, by any means, but very competent, and sounds great.

mrfixitmi and Stencil like this.
  13. LongJohn

LongJohn Synchromatic

Apr 22, 2016
    Queens, NY
    Another vote for the Tele. Mine's a MIM Nashville purchased from a G.C scratch and dent sale. It's the one guitar I would take out to jam/gig with and not worry about dinging. Workhorse and plays easily.

14. montereyjack66

montereyjack66 Country Gent

Feb 29, 2012
    LA-ish
    Preferably with a p-90 of questionable ancestory.

15. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    It’s very hard to find a guitar that is more simple or rugged than a Tele. It’s also hard to find a guitar that sounds better than a Tele.

16. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    This Firefly 338. $189!

AB3361F6-3B5A-4472-9DAC-66DB2695957F.jpeg

GlenP, dswo, LivingMyDream and 7 others like this.
  17. AZBrahma

AZBrahma Gretschie

Dec 18, 2020
    Arizona
    Godin Session HT. Paid $380 new and it is a very good guitar by any measure. Sits out next to my desk. Strings sound like rubber bands at this point, time to change them.

18. GlenP

GlenP Country Gent

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    My Takamine, well according to Don Felder & Glenn Frey a Takamine is a beater guitar.

I find it ironic that Glenn Frey has a signature Takamine, after that infamous dust-up off-stage where Don Felder smashed Takamine in lieu of a resignation letter and walked off until H. E. double hockeysticks froze over. (it was described in better detail in Don Felder's book)

They could have capitalized on that with a Don Felder signature guitar, image a slogan like: "When you have just about had enough of your bandmate, don't resort to fisticuffs, smash a Takamine."

Also, Pete Townsend has been known to play a Takamine on occasion, but I don't think he ever actually smashed one.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2021
  19. OzzPocket

OzzPocket Synchromatic

Aug 11, 2020
    NYS
    My Aria Pro II.....my very first electric, that actually saw me through high school, all of college, and several years after....I screwed down the bridge on it, replaced the pickups, the switch, and the nut(with a bone nut, rather than the plastic that it came with), also added Sperzel locking tuners.....and it went from being nearly unplayable, to being halfway decent (and it's even made in Japan, so it has THAT going for it)....I've had it since about 1983....and I often still grab it first when I just want to plink for a few minutes....probably because I don't keep it in a case...

20. Teledriver

Teledriver Synchromatic

Feb 12, 2011
    Iowa City, IA
    My favorite low-end beater is my mom. Beat my lower-end many a time!! Would still if she could catch me! She's still my favorite!
    I just wish she was a member here to read this. Piano was her thing and for most of that generation (born in 1938), but she appreciates my guitar and the stuff I play. It's the thought that counts.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.