Your favorite practice amp?

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by ErickT94, May 12, 2020.

1. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I would soooooooo cash that in!o_O
    What, like $15,000!!!

2. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Sometimes a Champ is too damn big. 20200529_191421.jpg
    Joke! Sounds poopy

Groutsch likes this.
  3. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I’ve got a slew of ‘80s Marshall solid state practice combos all sharing the same base tonality but different in output.

I had a Laney Solid state LX20R Extreme 8" combo I quite liked before it crapped out on me.

4. jjudas

jjudas Electromatic

Jan 24, 2019
    Metro New Orleans
    I'm using a Randall RG80 and a RMS 20watt.

BohemianLikeMe and stiv like this.
  5. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    One of my favorite guitar players, Dex Romweber of Flat Duo Jets, has used the RG80 with his Silvertone all his life and sounded great.
    I’ve been many times tempted to know what the fuss was about that amp. Fer sure, it sounded awesome in Dex’s hands.

jjudas and BohemianLikeMe like this.
  6. BohemianLikeMe

BohemianLikeMe Gretschie

Apr 18, 2020
    Prague, CZ
    Yeah, that RG80 sounds really good on Dex's recent stuff. I also remember reading somewhere that he used a Sano or something for the first FDJ album. Edit: I stand corrected, apparently it was a Conn accordion amp. Long story short, weird amps make cool records.

For those who don't know, here's a few good interviews with Dex, and check out Two Headed Cow, the documentary about him!

https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/24724-dex-romwebers-silvertone-soul?page=2

https://www.silvertoneworld.net/silvertone_artists/DexterRomweber/dex_article.htm

Last edited: May 30, 2020
    jjudas and stiv like this.
  7. Stonepicking

Stonepicking Gretschie

Sep 14, 2018
    Portsmouth uk
    Never posted any pics of my transplanted Goodsell Champton.

IMG_20200517_122500_237.jpg IMG_20200517_122500_221.jpg

pmac11, MKunie, wildeman and 3 others like this.
  8. Runamok

Runamok Gretschie

Aug 25, 2017
    USA midwest
    What I wonder: how much eventual hearing loss from using headphones a lot?

9. fender62custom

fender62custom Gretschified

Mar 3, 2012
    Helidon, Australia
    I love my Blues Jr... they can obviously rock n roll but l can get good home volume... crank the master volume right up... volume on 2... sweet clean & nobody complaining

G5422T likes this.
  10. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Just have to really watch your volume. My Audio Technica M40x phones work great but will clip when pushed, its a bonus i think cause it keeps me from playing too loud.

G5422T, Runamok and fender62custom like this.
  11. Runamok

Runamok Gretschie

Aug 25, 2017
    USA midwest
    Get what you are saying. Glad it works for you.
    Its not literally complaining neighbors, in my case I’m just trying to be cooperative. Sometimes silence is nice too.

I like playing SOME weekend mornings on a sunny deck. Don’t think anyone cares to hear the neighbor play scales, etc. any more than I want to hear mowing lawns. Especially if they are on their patios enjoying morning coffee & the sound of the breeze & birds, the clatter of unicorn hooves in the driveway.

I don’t play electric alot, but have leaned more that direction recently. Also, my Gretsch acoustic has no on-guitar control, requires a D.I. box into a Blues Jr. It also needs an extension chord, is at the limits of weight I want to lug.

How recent your model?
    I find that I can’t fine-tune the volume & tone enough on a blues junior to suit (though mine is a 22+ yr old original, perhaps they’ve found a solution to some of the issues I have). Though the same could be said about my bluetooth speakers.

I can’t get exactly the tone on a little Micro Cube either, but its at hand, adjustable volume in the range I usually want in a ‘practice amp’ & can run on batteries. It really needs a couple of dual function knobs like they put on the Katana Mk IIs & maybe 2 more watts.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
  12. Runamok

Runamok Gretschie

Aug 25, 2017
    USA midwest
    Much as I like good headphones...
    Tinnitus may be an eventual result of frequent headphone use.

Gibbsy likes this.
  13. Gibbsy

Gibbsy Gretschie

May 6, 2020
    London, UK
    Whenever I use headphones, and to be honest, quite a bit, my ears feel blocked afterwards, despite, in my opinion, not being overloud.

Runamok likes this.
  14. Runamok

Runamok Gretschie

Aug 25, 2017
    USA midwest
    Tinnitus sucks. If you’ve felt all thick-headed (maybe the beer) with your ears ringing after standing in front of cranked amps, or can’t stand high-pitched noise from your amp, its not pleasant to hear it most, or all of the time.

I have a mild case. But taking 2 aspirin can make it more prominent.
    Might be why there were so few passengers on my last plane trip — they’re hearing the whine in my ears!?

15. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I use headphones at times it does make the noise in my ears a bit worse but I have lives with this since I was a kid. The military made it worse I hear that hi pitched fuzz 24/7 7 days a week. If you choose to you can ignore it but it is always there. It is worse in quiet environments. I use Beyerdynamic DT880 pro semi open headphones these seem to have the least amount of affect on my ringing ears that any other I have tried closed headphones are the worse with earbuds, noise-canceling seem to make it worse. Fyi

16. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    Well, this sucks. I can ignore the Tinnitus much of the time until someone talks about it......Thanks for nut’n:(

As for headphones, I use them, open back only and at fairly low volume and not for long periods of time in order to not aggravate the Tinnitus.

My Tinnitus has had periods in the past so extreme I was almost throwing up but I’m much better now at managing it. I still can’t have total silence, I must have white noise especially when going to sleep.

Runamok likes this.
  17. jreading

jreading Electromatic

Apr 20, 2020
    Northern Virginia
    Blackstar Club 40 mk II is awesome. Switchable to 4w, all-tube and british/american modeling + usb out.

[​IMG]

G5422T likes this.
  18. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Mine is like locust all the time in my ears, about as loud as they are in the tress.

radd and Runamok like this.
  19. Runamok

Runamok Gretschie

Aug 25, 2017
    USA midwest
    I guess it comes down to what people consider practice volume, what they consider "practice," whether you have / are in the market for a new, more recent amp, etc.

Speaking of locusts & other noisy insects:

Aren’t Cicadas gonna be on their 17 year cycle this year?
    (Actually that’s partly a myth. Its more like 13).

20. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I have seen that. I do not know if it is true. I remember a bad year once in Iowa when I was growing up. I actually like the sound of the critters in the trees probably why it doesn’t bother me to much. Sometimes people have to say thing a couple time though if their Boise are exceptionally low.

Good point, what is practice volume. I see those pedal guys using a DB meter but in some places even their volumes may be to loud. As a kid I could turn that analog volume down on any tv and still hear it. My folks would ask why’s the volume off. And oddly I can still pick out sounds Others can’t hear. Which to me makes no sense but it seems when I really need to I can sort of filter or ignore the ringing. Not to derail those thread. We should run a different one for ringing. Back to amps. I think I mentioned before it would be best for anyone looking for a practice rig to not limit themselves to a wattage range, in my book tut can be irrelevant! My 120 watt half stack shines loud but like I have mentioned with judicial tweaking sounds good at low volumes as well. There can be some good deals on big amps as well because people don’t want the weight the wattage, need a change, or cash. For my orange micro deal to sound good to me it has to be quite loud! But at that point it sounds good. I only tried the headphones out ones and was kind of ambivalent to the sound. So my thoughts are start a list,
    Prioritize what your wants are but leave out wattage. Instead try to describe the tone you want what range of volume you want to cover what bells and whistles to do you like. For instance do you want built in eq like Mesa does? A tone stack, active like my triple xxx or passive like most other amps, and for newer people active like me means I stay all controls at noon that is where they are neutral if I turn one down it cuts that range it I turn it up it boosts. Passive is not able to boost it just cuts. Anywho some people just want a tone knob and that it with a volume then ride your guitar volume to adjust tone and some dynamics or use eq pedals. Do you want other things like built in attenuators master volume Bluetooth headphone jack usb. Sorry got long winded again. Just get some idea of what you want since and tone wise then start asking questions you’ll be surprised what will and won’t work.

when I started I wanted a home amp and something I could use to ply out at small places as well. There was an amp in the store the man way playing that just filled the room but it was a couple hundred over my self imposed budget. So I wound up with a affordable Marshall mg50dfx, sounded good in the store so I thought it would be fine. I got home and within a couple days I just couldn’t stand it as I started playing around and searching for the tone I heard form the other amp in the store. I called the store 450 miles away and told them Inhad to have the amp I had heard and wanted to return this one. They had a one week policy but because O was so far away they let me come back at two weeks and swap. My point be prepared is to be prepared to try some amps. I always wonder if I would have been happy if O hadn’t heard a full tune amp first but I did and I have not been satisfied with any SS amp yet. So try another of amps find the one that sounds best to you find out how long you can try it at home and still return it if needed and play the heck out of it at home. I have found I really don’t know if I love the alp until I have played it somewhere other than the store. Good luck!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.