Your 5 Guitar influences before you were 25

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by hippdog, Oct 9, 2020.

1. kbps320

kbps320 Electromatic

Dec 24, 2019
    New Jersey
    There are so many that I am leaving out but these were the top players that I heard at that time period in my life.
    1. Jeff Beck , Jimmy Page , Eric Clapton ,Scotty Moore, Link Wray
    2. Jeff Beck , Jimmy Page , Eric Clapton ,Scotty Moore, Yngwie Malmsteen, Uli Roth , SRV

3. Soley based on live performances I have seen : Freddie King, Brian Setzer , Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page, Johnny Winter, SRV , Albert Collins, Otis Rush

JeffreyLeePierre likes this.
  2. RG7X

RG7X Synchromatic

Nov 11, 2018
    Los Angeles
    1. Buddy Holly
    2. Jason Becker
    3. Jeff Loomis
    4. Yngwie Malmsteen
    5. Kirk Hammett / James Hetfield

3. OzzPocket

OzzPocket Gretschie

Aug 11, 2020
    NYS
    5 before 25...well, I had way more than 5 so it's hard to limit.....but, just off the top of my head (and in no particular order)

1) Brian Setzer 2) Robby Krieger 3) Tony Iommi 4) Chuck Berry 5) Jimi Hendrix (with a bonus of Ritchie Blackmore and Martin Barre)

4. GHook

GHook Gretschie

Sep 3, 2010
    wnc
    Let's see....Paul McCartney, James Jamerson were the two at the top of the heap. I started life as a bass player. As far as guitar players, probably Dwyane Eddie, Trini Lopez.

5. bobkat

bobkat Country Gent

Jun 2, 2008
    Valparaiso Indiana
    1. Billy Gibbons, John Denver, Peter Frampton, Eric Clapton, Carl Perkins, Don
    Rich, Jimmy Page.

2. Chet Atkins, Roy Clarke, Peter Frampton, Al Demiola, Jimmy Page, Jeff Beck, Jerry Reed, Les Paul.

3. Brian Seltzer, Paul Pigat, Joel Patterson, Deke Dickerson, Jack White, Billy Gibbons, Keb Moe.

6. Roger49

Roger49 Country Gent

Feb 18, 2015
    Germany
    1. Hank Marvin, George Harrison, Pete Townshend, Jeff Beck, Chet Atkins
    2. Hank Marvin, Chet Atkins, David Gilmore, Chuck Berry
    3. Tommy Emanuel (electric and acoustic!), Martin Barre, J J Cale, Mark Knopfler

audept likes this.
  7. speedicut

speedicut Friend of Fred

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    Before age 25 it would have been Jimmy Page, Dave Davies, Jerry Reed, Davod Gilmour, and probably the dude from Steppenwolf...

8. peter679

peter679 Gretschie

Aug 10, 2010
    Purgatory, NJ
    Before I was 25 (I'm 50 I'll be 51 in a 2 weeks)...
    Angus Young was my 1st guitar hero.. I was in 3rd/4th grade and was just in love with AC/DC
    Eddie Van Halen.. funny after his passing I said to a friend (fellow player) and said "you know I'd listen to Jimi, Jimmy, Angus etc and I'd say ok I can figure alot of this out.. but with Eddie I was like WTF did he just do how did he get that sound". LOL So not till the last year or 2 did I try to play some Van Halen.
    Jimi Hendrix - He is on my Mount Rushmore
    Jimmy Page - always loved his playing..
    I was/still am a Punk and when Hair metal got big I was even more of a punk - Ian Mackaye from Minor Threat/Fugazi just loved his playing and still do.
    .. add in The Rev, Setzer of course, Al DiMeola once I got older I got sooooo into listening and watching his playing he's maybe the best ever and of course the Godfather of Shred! Alex Lifeson, Dimebag, Zakk Wylde as well there are so many more I can say too.

9. old mark

old mark Gretschie

I was 25 a LONG time ago...Steve Cropper, Cornell Dupree, Les Paul, Tal Farlow, Buddy Holley.

audept likes this.
  10. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    1. George Harrison, Eric Clapton, Martin Barre, Pete Townsend, Steve Cropper
    2. The same
    3. Tommy Emmanuel, Chet, all three Hellecasters, Santana, Mark Knopfler,

To add some info---there are many guitarists that could, and should, fit into all three groups. Starting with Django and Wes Montgomery, including so many jazz and session players (Glen Campbell, Roy Clark, Tommy Tedesco, et al) , Classical musicians like Segovia, and modern players like Tommy E, Johnny A and too many others to name. I'm not primarily a guitar player, but a keyboard guy that does both, like Steve Winwood. There are myriad players in many genres in many instruments and many genres. Came across a guy on yootoob yesterday playing Bach's Toccata and Fugue in Dm---on a balalaika. Foreign folk groups like Otava Yo, The Hu Band, and Rodrigo y Gabriela should also have place worthy of their talent. It's too wide a world to limit things to just five.

11. Steveric

Steveric Electromatic

Jun 11, 2020
    Portsmouth uk
    Les paul ,cliff galop, Scotty more,dick Dale,
    Now darrel Higham brian setzer link ray but I still like the above
    also django reinhardt Robert Johnson

12. Lucky Jim

Lucky Jim Electromatic

Friday
    Kent, England
    I'm old skool so:

#1 Duane Eddy, Hank Marvin, Cliff Gallup, Scotty Moore, Chet Atkins, Roy Buchanan, Jimmy Raney, James Burton.
    #2 Cliff Gallup, Chet Atkins, Jimmy Page, Ray Flacke, Jeff Beck, Jerry Reed.
    #3 Jeff Beck, Chet Atkins, Robben Ford, Larry Carlton, Jimmy Bryant, Richard Thompson

And others too numerous to mention.

audept likes this.
  13. DangerousD

DangerousD Electromatic

Thursday
    Colorado
    1. Buck Dharma, Mark Farner, Jimmy Page, Ted Nugent, Ritchie Blackmore
    2. Jimi Hendrix, Eddie Van Halen, Eric Clapton, Jimmy Page, Peter Frampton
    3. Jeff Beck, Frank Marino, Danny Gatlin, Eddie Van Halen, Roy Clark

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020 at 7:10 PM
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.