Your 5 Guitar influences before you were 25

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by hippdog, Oct 9, 2020.

1. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I've worked Leo Kottke twice. Genuine, down to earth, and incredibly talented. And, yeah, he'd be a really tough act to follow.

Xochi2 and mrfixitmi like this.
  2. Alathea

Alathea Electromatic

Dec 2, 2018
    NE
    Heh-
    Before you were 25, who were the top electric guitarists who influenced your style of playing?
    2. Before you were 25, which electric guitarists did you think represented Guitar playing at its best.
    3. At your current age: who do you think represents Electric Guitar playing at its best?

Before I was 25 in the early 2000s I would say Green Day, GNR, Stevie Ray Vaughn, or Vito Bratta/Extreme/Eddie (for technique, again, not so much as being articulate- he was the baroque of guitar)

Representing playing at its best- Stevie, Mark Knopfler, Jimmy Hendrix (for being a pioneer, not so much for being technically articulate), Brian May, Johnny Cash

At my current age Id say Brian Setzer, Reverend Horton, Django Rheinhardt, Knopfler, Kaki King/Andy Mckee/Hedges, Bullet for My Valentine (cause I still like emo/punk, but the playing technique all kinda blends together). Hank Marvin. Malcolm, Johnny, Chet Atkins, that guy from Hee Haw for rhythm players that were amazing and on the ball. I am 43. I still like and appreciate Queen, LZ, Greta Van Fleet, 60s surf/rock/folk, and other things, but stylistically after awhile the players all develop a similar sound as they emulate each other. I find it more easy and accurate to describe bands that I like rather than players when I think of what kinds of guitar playing that I like, and for practicing.

mrfixitmi likes this.
  3. Xochi2

Xochi2 Electromatic

Oct 5, 2020
    Wisconsin
    1) Eric Clapton, Jimi Hendrix, Alvin Lee (Woodstock - "I'm Going Home"), Jimmy Page, Carlos Santana
    2) Those mentioned in #1, plus... Chet Atkins, Jeff "Skunk" Baxter, Jeff Beck, Mike Bloomfield, Al Di Meola, Duane Eddy, Les Paul
    3) Those mentioned in #1 & #2, plus... Duane Allman, John Lee Hooker, B.B. King, John Mayer, Prince, Derek Trucks, Stevie Ray Vaughan
    (There are sooooo many more.....)

Last edited: Oct 13, 2020
    Rmccamey and mrfixitmi like this.
  4. orphan

orphan Electromatic

Aug 5, 2010
    MA
    Duane Eddy
    The Ventures
    Beatles
    Hendrix

That's all before I was 25....

Xochi2 and MentalTossFlycoon like this.
  5. THE BALD REVEREND

THE BALD REVEREND Electromatic

Jul 14, 2020
    MILAN - ITALY
    Hi , the challenge is intriguing !!
    First of all i would to underline that i've never been so fascinated by simply virtuoso guitarists , and that i always thought that any instrumentist must FIRST SERVE THE SONG .
    After that her my hyper-personal answers :
    1 ) Dave Alvin From the Blasters ( always loved his dry and frantic licks ) and SRV ( no words about his fluidity and growl ) , plus Slowhand
    2 ) Slowhand , Jimmy Page , SRV , EVH , Brian Setzer
    3 ) Blasters' era Dave Alvin is still a reference to me , as well as SRV , Slowhand , T-Bone Walker and BB King .

But this is such un incomplete ranking .....

Let's Gretsch from Italy !

mrfixitmi likes this.
  6. amp360

amp360 Gretschie

Oct 21, 2012
    Maryland
    This really should include your age for context. I'm in my early 40s.

Here's the challenge. It's a 3 part challenge.
    1. Before you were 25, who were the top electric guitarists who influenced your style of playing?
    George Harrison, Brian Setzer, Dave Davies, Mark Knopfler, The Ventures
    2. Before you were 25, which electric guitarists did you think represented Guitar playing at its best.
    Eric Clapton, Mark Knopfler, Waddy Watchel
    3. At your current age: who do you think represents Electric Guitar playing at its best?
    Jim Hall, Henry Kaiser, Wes Montgomery, Chet Atkins

mrfixitmi likes this.
  7. UlisesV

UlisesV Electromatic

Apr 27, 2019
    Monterrey, Mexico
    1.- Nokie Edwards, Chet Atkins.
    2.- Chet Atkins, Nokie Edwards
    3.- Chet Atkins, Jerry Reed, Marcel Dadi, Buster B. Jones, Tommy Emmanuel

sleeperNY and mrfixitmi like this.
  8. RobSzat

RobSzat Electromatic

Feb 8, 2020
    Philly
    I’m 40, started playing at 15 and took lots of time off in between

1. Tom Morello, Clapton, Peter Tosh, Brad Nowell, Dave Matthews, Dimebag were who I tried to copy

2. SRV, Hendrix, Clapton, Paige, EVH, Dick Dale, Slash were who I could never get close to

3. Billy Gibbons, Dan Auerbach, Jack White, All of list 2, John Mayer, Andy the demo guy, ****, really it’s all just Billy Gibbons!!!

mrfixitmi likes this.
  9. MentalTossFlycoon

MentalTossFlycoon Gretschie

Dec 22, 2018
    Texas
    1. Nokie Edwards, John Fogerty, Andy Powell & Ted Turner( they count as one because they played that way), Brian Setzer, King Edward Van Halen.
    2. Brian Setzer, Andy Powell & Ted Turner, Jimmie Vaughn, Robin Trower, Roy Buchanan
    3, Brian Setzer, Jimmie Vaughn. Danny Gatton, Evan Johns, Junior Brown.

mrfixitmi likes this.
  10. afire

afire Country Gent

That was the appeal of Clapton to me too. Not that I could do it well, but if you squinted your ears real hard, you could hear some recognizable Clapton in some of my playing.

11. Electrosynthesis

Electrosynthesis Electromatic

May 11, 2011
    São Paulo
    1. Mark Knopfler
    2. Mark Knopfler, David Gilmour, Jimmy Page, Jimmy Hendrix, Lanny Gordin (brazilian legend)
    3. JJ Cale, Brian Setzer, Grant Green, Lanny Gordin

mrfixitmi and MentalTossFlycoon like this.
  12. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    Scotty Moore, James Burton, George Harrison, Keith Richards, John Fogerty and dozens more after them.

13. Likeabrave

Likeabrave Synchromatic

Feb 11, 2010
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    I wanted to play like:
    • Steve Howe
    • Eddie Van Halen
    • Angus Young
    • Jimi Hendrix
    • Billy GIbbons
    I though the best were:
    • Steve Howe
    • Eddie Van Halen
    • Brian May
    • Randy Rhodes
    • Jimi Hendrix
    Today, I most appreciate:
    • Billy Gibbons
    • Brian May
    • Jimi Hendrix
    • John Frusciante
    • Joe Walsh

14. johnny g

johnny g Country Gent

Sep 2, 2017
    union, ms
    Chet with a 6120
    Travis with a ES Super 400
    Jerry Reed

Last edited: Oct 13, 2020
  15. Dave Murray

Dave Murray Electromatic

Feb 27, 2016
    Indio, CA
    If you like Tommy Emmanuel, then you simply must include Chet Atkins, the man who Tommy emulated. I find it interesting that nobody in this string seems to have mentioned Chet. That's probably because nobody in this string can play like he did. I certainly can't, but yeah, I can copy an Eric Clapton or B.B. King lick.

16. lbrous2

lbrous2 Electromatic

Nov 23, 2017
    Florida
    Leslie West/ Rory Gallagher/ Johnny Winter/ George Harrison/ Frank Zappa/ Carlos Santana

17. Abeno Matto

Abeno Matto Gretschie

May 8, 2014
    Japan
    Keith Richards, Joe Perry, Jimmy Page, Steve Hackett, Alex Lifeson.
    At least thirty others came to mind.

18. DasherF

DasherF Electromatic

Aug 28, 2020
    Minneapolis, Mn
    You know, I think different worlds are allowed...it shows your diversity in music.
    My #1 is George Harrson (for me it started with the Beatles), Stephen Stills, Joe Walsh, yeah, Keith, Andy Powell, Ted Turner, Laurie Weisfeild, Duane Allman, Dicky Betts, Gary Rossington, Allan Collins, Ed King, and a host of others not coming to me right now...
    2. Stephen, Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page, Jimi, Johnny Winter, Jerry Garcia once I heard him, +++++.
    3. So, so many...everyone I mentioned and various others listed, most notably SRV, EVH, Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Steve Morse, Robert Fripp, MuddyManinen...hand me a notebook...
    Everyone does their thing for a reason...an' they do it good.

TubeLife likes this.
  19. Butch Ammon

Butch Ammon Gretschie

Jan 3, 2016
    Richmond, VA
    #1 influence of above all ---- Eric Clapton. I was probably 10 years old when I first heard Cream and the song "Sunshine Of Your Love", and thought to myself, "What is that?" :cool:

#2 influence --- Randy Bachman of BTO, back in the 70's. It's back when I took guitar lessons (acoustic) at first, and then said, "I WANT TO ROCK", and begged my parents for an electric guitar, and soon learned "Takin' Care of Business", "You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet", etc.... and haven't looked back.

#3 influence --- Peter Frampton. Like most guitar players, I was blown away by "Frampton Comes Alive" in the 70's and his use of the Talkbox. I saw Frampton in concert back in the late 70's and it was awesome, from what I remember... The whole concert arena was full of "smoke" --- yeah, that type of smoke! LOL! :D

#4 influence (and most important) --- Looking back, as a young but serious guitar player, I wanted to see who Frampton, BTO, Clapton, etc... were influenced by, and realized it was The Beatles. I started learning more and more Beatles songs, and added them to my own personal "guitar playlist". :cool:

20. kt66

kt66 Gretschie

Jan 21, 2016
    London
    1. Before you were 25, who were the top electric guitarists who influenced your style of playing?

1) Peter Buck, Paul Weller, Pete Townshend
    2) Tom Verlaine, Jimi Hendrix, Pete Townshend
    3)Tom Verlaine, Charlie Byrd, Steve Cropper

JeffreyLeePierre likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.