Your 5 Guitar influences before you were 25

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by hippdog, Oct 9, 2020.

1. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Country Gent

Robert Quine!
    Right call.

mrfixitmi, ishtar and calebaaron666 like this.
  2. RomanS

RomanS Gretschie

May 26, 2010
    Vienna, Austria
    Darn, forgot to mention JC Wilsey, Chris Isaak's former guitar player, huge influence for my own playing, first guy who made me appreciate clean guitar tones as a teen.

3. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    ............... if my playing can influence just one young player , then all my years of effort have been worth it .

4. Robbie

Robbie Friend of Fred

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    Hendrix
    Clapton
    Muddy
    Randy Bachman
    Zappa

mrfixitmi, Freshy and ishtar like this.
  5. salvatore

salvatore Gretschie

Nov 29, 2017
    Durham, NC
    For me, it was how the guitar was placed in the song.

The songs as a whole influenced me more than than the individual guitar playing, although say, the rhythm guitar playing of Lennon on “All My Lovin’ made the song what it is.

Before I was 25, I’d say I felt an affinity with these five players:
    John Lennon
    Stephen Stills
    Phil Manzanera
    Don Rich
    Steve Cropper

This list hasn’t changed over time.

6. mrfixitmi

mrfixitmi Synchromatic

Mar 20, 2010
    Michigan
    This is a tough one, some you may not be as popular as others, but I am basing this on personal contact.
    1. Edward Zielinski (Uncle who played a Gretsch in a polka band)
    2. Eric Clapton (Played my dead Kay acoustic in a radio station, and could make it sing).
    3. Earl Klugh (Playing at Baker's Keyboard lounge, we warmed up for him, he was so humble)
    4. J.B Hutto (Met him in California at a promotion event with my Grandmother, earth shattering slide guitar playing, nice guy!)
    5. Dave Mason met him at a concert during a blizzard, where only a handful of people showed up, he got off the stage, and sat among the people and played requests.

ishtar likes this.
  7. jdgladw

jdgladw Electromatic

Aug 11, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Have you heard Escape? What a crazy album! I'd also recommend Painted Dessert with Ikue Mori and Marc Ribot if you haven't heard it.

I saw that you mentioned Kid Congo Powers in your list. Great then and great now. I saw him a couple of years ago with his band The Pink Monkey Birds. They were fantastic. Love his stuff.

8. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    Before 25? Rory, Leslie West, Ritchie Blackmore, Jimi, Brian May.
    Second category.. as above..

Now? Angus, Brian and ummm..

mrfixitmi, Freshy and ishtar like this.
  9. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Country Gent

Robert Quine: I only know what he did with the Voidoids and with Lou Reed. I usually hardly find interest in guitarists' records, I like them better when they play on real songs :D. But I'll give Escape a try.

Kid Congo: I dig everything he did, from the early Gun Club cassette recorder traces to the Pink Monkey Birds. His voice is really cool too. And on top if that, he's a nice guy: I had a quick chat with him backstage after a gig where we had opened for the Gun Club, in Lyon, France back in the early 90s. He was kind enough to accept the demo cassette I handed to him saying it would be cool to me that he reciprocally owns it since I had all Gun Club and Cramps records where he played. But of course I never knew if he ever tried to listen to it.

mrfixitmi, ishtar and RomanS like this.
  10. Freshy

Freshy Synchromatic

Sep 30, 2017
    Homosassa FLA
    8 thru 12
    Tommy Smothers, Ricky Nelson
    13 thru 18
    Jimi Hendrix, Steve Miller
    18 thru 25
    Joe Walsh, Tommy Bolin

mrfixitmi and ishtar like this.
  11. Highroller

Highroller Synchromatic

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    1. Before you were 25, who were the top electric guitarists who influenced your style of playing?

That was a very long time ago, and covers a ton of ground musically. From the 60’s I’d have to include Pete Townshend, Keith Richards, Neil Young and Jorma Kaukonen. From the early 70’s I’d add Mick Ronson, Phil Manzanera and Glen Buxton. My 25th birthday was in 1982, so by then you’re adding the CBGB groups – Poison Ivy, Lenny Kaye, Tom Verlaine and Richard Lloyd. Within a few years of that, the west coast and post-punk stuff – Billy Zoom, Andy Gill, William Reid, Dave Edmunds, Peter Buck, Thurston Moore and Lee Renaldo.

2. Before you were 25, which electric guitarists did you think represented Guitar playing at its best.

For most of that time, the late Danny Gatton was my #1 example of the best a player could be, with Steve Howe coming in a distant second. Both had technique and skill that I could never hope to achieve and as such, didn’t have a lot of influence on my own playing. But when you heard them, you knew you were hearing something special.

3. At your current age: who do you think represents Electric Guitar playing at its best?

Hang around long enough and you’ll absorb something from practically everybody, both as a player and a listener. Guys like Chet Atkins and Les Paul - I paid ZERO attention to them at 25, but love their stuff now.

Guitar music covers a lot of different styles and genres. Is Johnny Marr better or worse than Mark Knopfler? Django Reinhardt or Carlos Montoya? I was never a Van Halen fan, but son of a gun, Eddie could shred like nobody’s business. He practically reinvented hard rock guitar in 1978. But was he any “better” than Santana ripping thru Soul Sacrifice at Woodstock? Who’s to say?

I dunno, it’s sort of amazing that almost 100 years of great guitar sounds are nothing more than a keyboard stroke away for most of us these days. You don’t even need to build a record collection any more. It’s all out there any time you want it. I say take in as much as you can and enjoy it all!

Last edited: Oct 10, 2020
    mrfixitmi, ishtar and JC higgy like this.
  12. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Oh God yes,Danny Gatton was in there ,always blew me away ,what a talent! And he always made me laugh with what he came up with,i like that in a player.

And of course Fran and Rick from Quo,i got the bug to collect guitars after seeing Rick's rack of them at the Live at the Birmingham NEC gig shown on tv back in 81/82,well,i'm pretty sure that's what started it anyway!:)

ishtar likes this.
  13. Cassotto

Cassotto Gretschie

Jun 16, 2019
    Spain
    1) George Harrison, George Harrison, George Harrison, George Harrison, George Harrison.
    2) George Harrison, George Harrison, George Harrison, George Harrison, George Harrison.
    3) Chuck Berry, Scotty Moore, Carl Perkins, Richard Hawley... and George Harrison.

mrfixitmi and ishtar like this.
  14. ishtar

ishtar Country Gent

This is hard.... And I might feel differently later...

1. Before you were 25, who were the top electric guitarists who influenced your style of playing?
    Larry Carlton, B.B. King, George Benson, Adrian Belew, Pat Metheny

2. Before you were 25, which electric guitarists did you think represented Guitar playing at its best.
    Joe Pass, Larry Carlton, George Benson, Pat Metheny, Joni Mitchell

3. At your current age: who do you think represents Electric Guitar playing at its best?
    Bill Frisell, Ry Cooder, Mark Knopfler, Jim Hall, Larry Carlton

mrfixitmi and Freshy like this.
  15. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    Influence: Clapton, Hendrix, Townsend, Knopfler, Brian May
    Best: SRV, Clapton, Hendrix, EVH, Gilmour
    Now: Gilmour, Jeff Beck, Setzer, Kurt Risenwinkel, Hendrix

Too bad it's only five per category. Jimmy Page, Chet Atkins, Keith Richards , Jerry Garcia and Pat Martino should be on those lists.

mrfixitmi likes this.
  16. phil66

phil66 Gretschie

Dec 5, 2019
    Indiana
    Not even sure where to begin. Johnny Winters. Doc Watson, Cheat Atkins, Roy Clark, Hendrix. Keith Richards. the list just goes on and on

pmac11 and mrfixitmi like this.
  17. rot hodder

rot hodder Electromatic

Feb 6, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    I first picked up a guitar in the early 80s, so
    <25 - EVH, SRV, Angus, Chris Masuak & Mark Knopfler
    @25 - EVH, Billy Gibbons, Mark Knopfler, David Gilmour & Johnny Marr
    25 +25 - David Gilmour, Mark Knopfler, Marty Willson Piper, Elliot Easton & Malcolm.
    I'll probably change my mind in 5 minutes.

mrfixitmi likes this.
  18. Bravefaces

Bravefaces Gretschie

Jan 13, 2014
    Central Australia NT
    For me not much has changed, in fact nothing. I love great song writers over great players. But the majority of mine are both.

Jim Moginie and Martin Rotsey of Midnight Oil are THE most influential for me and they can't be separated. Their interplay is inspiring they finish each others parts like twins finish each others sentences. Tommy Emmanuel , & he was playing a lot of electric at the time but as I have matured I have grown with him and his playing, his playing not mine unfortunately. Mark Knopfler the most 'pop" of the players in my list but he is other worldly when it comes to finger playing of the electric guitar with no nails or pics. SRV opened doors to other worlds of music for me before I was 25.

Post 25 I'd have to say Chris Cheney and Brian Setzer, they kicked the door off the hinges that Jim Moginie opened into the world of Gretsch guitars for me.

mrfixitmi likes this.
  19. Alanqa

Alanqa Gretschie

Aug 22, 2019
    Lancashire UK
    My 5 before 25 (In the order I discovered them) are:

George Harrison
    Hank Marvin
    David Gilmour
    Johnny Marr
    Billy Duffy

mrfixitmi likes this.
  20. lathoto

lathoto Gretschie

Apr 23, 2020
    Ohio
    1. Neil Young
    2. Mark Knopfler
    3. Chet Atkins

mrfixitmi likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.