You guys called it...NDD...again...lol

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by RRGuitarCo, Sep 25, 2021.

1. RRGuitarCo

RRGuitarCo Gretschie

May 23, 2021
    San Diego CA
    WELP! I was forewarned but didn't listen. @Bertotti and @Highroller totally called it :D:D:D
    I tried to resist and hold out but I'm only human. The more I got into it, the more the drums sucked me in.
    Recently, I very reluctantly parted ways with my beloved Rosewood Tenny to my BFF on account of his surviving brain, lung and thyroid cancer all in the last year. All while gigging and working 3 bands at once!
    Now I've been looking at 6120's & 6119's to replace it but today I got a screaming deal from the nicest guy on a brand new set of Brooklyn's in beautiful Creme Oyster.
    Just the right sizes so I can straddle Jazz and Rock styles. I'm in love :)
    Now I just need to resist the urge to sell off guitars to buy cymbals lol.
    vnwmhpjg7g1af4mxepu7.jpg
    yiainvlrg8oruplgma8e.jpg
    wt5btkojlwzzufy2dlot.jpg

2. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Wow that's a sexy set!

RRGuitarCo likes this.
  3. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Oh man cymbals are just as bad if not worse! Don't go play any Meinl or Paiste or other high-dollar offerings from the common lines! I got sucked into Meinl Byzance earlier this year. Cost as much or more than a custom Collectors kit I bought from DW! But if you do try them I can't speak highly enough about the Byzance line! Actually, you really should try them! Especially the 15" hats and the Transitional ride and crash ride. They will fulfill a lot of your needs!

RRGuitarCo likes this.
  4. Gregor

Gregor Country Gent

Beautiful. Lots of good beats to be had on those. My dad owned a set of Gretsch drums in pearl white, many years ago now. They were gorgeous and allowed him to play in 3 different bands when he was in his late eighties...you just need the right equipment I keep telling my wife.
    Enjoy!!!

section2 and RRGuitarCo like this.
  5. dougmon

dougmon Synchromatic

Jan 9, 2013
    California
    That set is quite nice. Can't you just get away with adding a hi-hat? Oh, yeah, and a crash? And a ride? That won't be much, right?;)

RRGuitarCo and Bertotti like this.
  6. oneforsorrow

oneforsorrow Synchromatic

May 15, 2020
    Iowa
  7. RRGuitarCo

RRGuitarCo Gretschie

May 23, 2021
    San Diego CA
    I know right?!

Don't you tempt me with a good time!
    Thanks for the rec, I'll have to check those out.

I'm plan to finish building this kit right, so please don't judge if y'all see me living out of my truck lol

Indeed....

section2, Bertotti and Henry like this.
  8. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    I - M - SO - JELL - US ....... Drums ...... Always wanted a set . And I almost had a set when I was young . It's what started my musical journey back in 1964 .
    You see , I saw this guy in a band on The Ed Sullivan Show , Him and 3 other guys . 2 guitars and 1 bass player and then the drummer . The drummer was so cool looking swinging his hair back and forth while playing .... I think they were all from Liverpool , England . I often wonder what became of those 4 young lads ....... ;)

Jeff67, oneforsorrow and RRGuitarCo like this.
  9. Highroller

Highroller Country Gent

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Ah, those are gorgeous! I love the un-drilled look on kick drums. Are you keeping that Catalina Maple kit you got not too long ago? I'd think they'd nicely complement the Brooklyns - set up the Cats for rock, the Brooklyns for jazz.

And yeah, buy lots and lots of cymbals! ;)

RRGuitarCo likes this.
  10. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I had a fat finger moment I have the 16 Byzance vintage pure hats. Absolutely love them.
    https://meinlcymbals.com/en/products/b16vph-m3964.html I won't list all the new ones this year. It was over the top.

TSims1 likes this.
  11. RRGuitarCo

RRGuitarCo Gretschie

May 23, 2021
    San Diego CA
    Well the Catalina kit lives at my shop, set up for rock n roll. I bought it so we'd have a kit already setup since we keep having big jam sessions. Turns out I really like playing drums lol.
    This sweet baby is coming home with me. Setup for jazz. With, you guessed it...lots and lots of cymbals!
    :eek::eek:Don't do this to me bro, I have to financially recover from this kit first :oops:

Bertotti likes this.
  12. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    You're hooked, there is no help, you will be assimilated!

gtttrrr, RRGuitarCo and section2 like this.
  13. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    From one Gretsch drummer to another, let me just say that those are absolutely stunning! What a gorgeous kit. What are the sizes?

And yeah, cymbals can be a whole other rabbit hole. Luckily, there are always plenty of good used cymbals to be found at reasonable prices. I get along well with thin A. Zildjians from the 70s and Sabians from the 80s. They sound fantastic and they don't break the bank.

Bertotti, RRGuitarCo and oneforsorrow like this.
  14. RRGuitarCo

RRGuitarCo Gretschie

May 23, 2021
    San Diego CA
    Thanks! I'm absolutely in love with this finish. I believe the sizes are 8x12, 14x14, 14x20 and 5.5x14.
    I plan on upgrading the snare with the USA bell brass snare in a year or 2.
    Thanks for the hot tip on the cymbals, I'll have to check those out.

section2 likes this.
  15. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Country Gent

That's a gorgeous kit, congratulations.

roadjunkie and RRGuitarCo like this.
  16. Gregor

Gregor Country Gent

Two of them got old and two didn't.

RRGuitarCo likes this.
  17. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Country Gent

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    Congrats on that great looking set.
    Luckily my house has no room for a set of drums or I'd have to buy a set.
    Enjoy your drumming.

18. RRGuitarCo

RRGuitarCo Gretschie

May 23, 2021
    San Diego CA
    Thanks!

19. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    Nice! I love those jazz sizes. They sound great, they're easy to carry, and they don't take up too much space on small stages.

I've never played the bell brass snare, but it looks beautiful. Apparently the thing weighs 20 pounds! Being a brass drum, I imagine it's got a ton of personality (with volume to match). For my money, though, the Ludwig Supraphonic is still the best metal snare drum on the market. Its little (and more affordable) cousin, the Acrolite, is fantastic too.

RRGuitarCo likes this.
  20. Highroller

Highroller Country Gent

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    I agree - I've bought and sold a fair number of snare drums over the years and keep going back to the Supraphonics. I've got a 400 and a 402. I've had an Acrolite too, and liked it, but decided eventually that with the Supras on hand, no real point in keeping the Acro. Used it as trade-in fodder on a Guild 12-string!

Tell the truth, I get a lot more use out of that Guild than I did the Acrolite.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.