Yin-yang Telecasters

loudnlousy

Gretschified
Oct 18, 2015
Germany
Nice guitars, Ed.
Although I like the brass hardware on the white one, I would not have changed the hardware on these because the rose-gold looks really special. It`s quite a rare feature on a Fender Tele.

SpaceCowboy

Electromatic
Aug 16, 2019
Austin
Double-binding should just be standard on Tele's, it looks so sharp! I switched the pickguards for you just to see what it looks like, you're welcome! :D

Attachments

• pickguard_switcheroo.jpg
    pickguard_switcheroo.jpg
    488.4 KB · Views: 7

SpaceCowboy

Electromatic
Aug 16, 2019
Austin
it works great with the binding colors. Maybe should be an aged white on the black guitar, but I too was surprised to like the black guard on the white guitar. Definitely the binding that sells it.

Wayne Gretschzky

Country Gent
Aug 27, 2008
East Coast
What is that bridge on the Daybreak? It looks substantial...
Substantial is a good descriptor. That's a solid brass unit I sourced from a Chinese seller on Ebay. I was trying to find all brass components, and the options for the tele-style bridge were few. There were a couple 70's era Fender units made of solid brass out there, but they were all aged looking, and this wasn't a relic project. I was hesitant on buying something from a Chinese seller, but the deal went flawlessly. I wish I had purchased two of them in retrospect. There's a similar unit on Ebay now from a Hungry-based seller. It's a more modern style... and I'm considering it for the Black tele. The only component that I wasn't able to fine a brass version of are the tuners. I've come across some sets that are aged/relic'd... but I'm looking for new.

Ricochet

Senior Gretsch-Talker
Nov 13, 2009
Monkey Island
Substantial is a good descriptor. That's a solid brass unit I sourced from a Chinese seller on Ebay. I was trying to find all brass components, and the options for the tele-style bridge were few. There were a couple 70's era Fender units made of solid brass out there, but they were all aged looking, and this wasn't a relic project. I was hesitant on buying something from a Chinese seller, but the deal went flawlessly. I wish I had purchased two of them in retrospect. There's a similar unit on Ebay now from a Hungry-based seller. It's a more modern style... and I'm considering it for the Black tele. The only component that I wasn't able to fine a brass version of are the tuners. I've come across some sets that are aged/relic'd... but I'm looking for new.

Cool find. Had I known I would be tempted to get two as well. I love brass hardware. I wonder what it's modeled after? A Schroeder maybe?

I had to buy an ABM Custom Shop solid brass Tele bridge annoyingly only available in "aged" finish(why?).

Ha, I've been on the lookout for brass tuners for a looong time. No luck so far. Those "antique" finished ones on Asian websites are almost comical in a strictly non-funny manner.

Wayne Gretschzky

Country Gent
Aug 27, 2008
East Coast
I think I decided on brass, to replace the super glossy gold components on the Daybreak Tele because I've been salivating over vintage White Falcons for much of my adult life. Those vintage guitars always have the dull/worn gold hardware, and against the off-white (yellowed) finish it just established an aesthetic I'm attracted to. I wouldn't kick a brand new Falcon outta bed... but the shiny new gold hardware would be a point of contention.

The brassy gold emulates that dull worn vintage gold plating well, without looking "old". I'm really happy with the result. And... before anybody asks about the weight implications of brass hardware, I've not recognized a noticeable difference.

Ricochet

Senior Gretsch-Talker
Nov 13, 2009
Monkey Island
Rickard makes beautiful 10:1 brass banjo tuners which I use on one of my Firebirds. I didn't mention them cause of the "Banjo thing" but on second thought, why not?
Sweet talk your wallet first...

I opted for Boxwood buttons.
1653453904289.jpeg

Last edited:

Emergence

Gretschie
May 25, 2022
New York
Cool guitars. Telecasters are different. You can buy one cheap and modify it into the guitar if your dreams or you can spend your kids’ tuition on one and have it made for you. Or you can create one de novo from the parts bin. That’s philosophically different from Gretsch but an equally valid way of getting a great guitar.

Wayne Gretschzky

Country Gent
Aug 27, 2008
East Coast
Cool guitars. Telecasters are different. You can buy one cheap and modify it into the guitar if your dreams or you can spend your kids’ tuition on one and have it made for you. Or you can create one de novo from the parts bin. That’s philosophically different from Gretsch but an equally valid way of getting a great guitar.
I don't know about that.... I think your three categories are also applicable to Gretsch archtops. I've bought expensive examples to get all the features I wanted. I've also bought less expensive models brand new, only to immediately upgrade them to high-end components that I desired. And, I've also purchased a lower-end husk, and outfitted it with almost everything from my parts collection. I really enjoy the results of each of these exercises.

Emergence

Gretschie
May 25, 2022
New York
I don't know about that.... I think your three categories are also applicable to Gretsch archtops. I've bought expensive examples to get all the features I wanted. I've also bought less expensive models brand new, only to immediately upgrade them to high-end components that I desired. And, I've also purchased a lower-end husk, and outfitted it with almost everything from my parts collection. I really enjoy the results of each of these exercises.
I can’t fault your logic except to say that to me, set neck guitars were meant to be played as pretty much as made and there was never a Fender made that wouldn’t benefit from personalization. One man’s opinion based on his experience.