Yin-yang Telecasters

Wayne Gretschzky

Country Gent
Aug 27, 2008
East Coast
Just to keep my cosmic mojo aligned... I picked up a Fender Midnight Telecaster (2018 limited release) to pair up with my Fender Daybreak Telecaster (2020 limited release). The Daybreak is an off-white color, and the black double-binding really appealed to me. However the gaudy rose-gold hardware did not. So... I've replaced everything but the tuners with solid brass components, and I'm very pleased with the result. That same hardware exists on the black guitar, so I'm mulling over if I should do the same thing. But for now, it plays great, and makes for a cool companion to the white one, with each rocking the cool 60s era double body binding and rosewood fretboard.

Yin-yang Tele's..jpeg

Randy99CL

Country Gent
Feb 17, 2020
Albuquerque
It's funny that very few Teles can be called beautiful, they're slabs with a neck and strings, but those two are truly beautiful. Dressed up in their best evening wear, ready for a night on the town.

NJDevil

Country Gent
Jul 9, 2014
Commack, NY
That is one reason I love Teles, the no nonsense guitar…
I've always thought the same and have listened to Telecaster devotees how usable, inexpensive and tonally brilliant it can be as a boat paddle and survive a nuclear bomb! Then when I see an Ibanez Josh Smith model, Suhr models and many others require a player to take out a 2nd mortgage to afford one, I just scratch my head.

@Wayne Gretschzky - I sure am smitten with your yin/yang duo. Nice job and play 'em in good health!

Synchro

The artist formerly known as: Synchro
Staff member
Jun 2, 2008
Tucson
I've always thought the same and have listened to Telecaster devotees how usable, inexpensive and tonally brilliant it can be as a boat paddle and survive a nuclear bomb! Then when I see an Ibanez Josh Smith model, Suhr models and many others require a player to take out a 2nd mortgage to afford one, I just scratch my head.

@Wayne Gretschzky - I sure am smitten with your yin/yang duo. Nice job and play 'em in good health!
I will paraphrase something a read about the Tele; ‘it’s hard to imagine less being more’. If you think about it, the Tele is about as minimalistic as a two pickup electric guitar could possibly be. Yet, it remains one of the best electric guitars in the world.

General_Lee

Gretschie
Apr 23, 2022
Manitoba, Canada
Stunning pair. Congrats. I've always loved binding on Teles and have owned a few, including a gorgeous Lake Placid Blue American Original. Somehow though, I keep coming back to my '52 style ash body butterscotch blonde black guard. I guess you never really do get over your first love...🤔

jvin248

Gretschie
May 16, 2017
Near Detroit

Looks great as a pair!

Have you ever tried 'the Kirchen mod'? Rotate the control plate for V-T-Switch to the rear. It's my auto-Tele mod with any I get. Often 'regular' Teles look odd to me when I see them ;)

drmilktruck

I Bleed Orange
May 17, 2009
Plymouth, MN
I'm thinking of doing a Tele with a Yin-Yang scheme in honor of our son, who's from Korea. Getting the lines between the colors front and back crisp and accurate would be the hard part. Maybe a guitar skin would be easier.

Kind of like this one made for Jason Becker, but more faithful to the original symbol.

1653260072925.png

Last edited:

drmilktruck

I Bleed Orange
May 17, 2009
Plymouth, MN
That is nice colour combo, should work well on a guitar. I think it's the dots that make it more Chinese, but I'm not all that versed in Taoism. 😬

Nor am I, but Wikipedia helps! There are versions in China, Vietnam, Korea and Japan. The Korean is different with the colors and the horizontal divider rather than vertical.

1653311063213.png