yep, it's a NGGD!! new Gretsch guitar day!

Discussion in 'Gretsch "Roots" Acoustic Forum' started by Randy99CL, Sep 25, 2021.

1. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Country Gent

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    At the end of my last thread I mentioned that I'd ordered a Jim Dandy and it arrived today. As I explained, I have avoided buying an acoustic to collect electrics but finally ran out of excuses and found one I really like.

This thing is amazing, wow! I've watched tons of reviews that raved but you never know until you have one in your hands...and this is incredible! I was stunned by how good my Streamliners are for the money but this one sets a new record for quality per dollar, must be the best in the world!
    On sale at MF for $149.99 and mine is flawless! Not one mark or flaw or imperfection anywhere and I've looked it over verrrry closely, expecting to find problems.

I love the satin Black finish, doesn't show fingerprints and the back of the neck is slippery under my hand. The fretboard is smooth and straight and shows pretty grain with the bridge matching the color and grain. The neck feels fantastic with smooth, even frets and no buzzing. The action is a little high but I'll adjust that after it settles in my apartment for a few days.
    I love the 24" scale and the body size is really comfortable and easy to play.

But I am blown away by the sound! It's gorgeous , much fuller (full-range) than I expected and I love it. I know it's not got the bottom end of bigger bodies but there is plenty of bass for me. My ears are most sensitive to midrange and that is where these little guitars excel.
    It sounds surprisingly big, much bigger than I expected. Big and full for such a small box.
    I'm really surprised by the sustain, I swear this thing carries a chord longer than many of my solidbodies do, again I am really impressed.
    Overall it feels solid and tight and high quality, I just don't know how Gretsch can do it but that is why they are so popular; they are excellent parlor guitars for an amazingly low price.
    Gretsch Jim Dandy Black.jpg

2. BrianW

BrianW Country Gent

Oct 21, 2014
    Vancouver Island
    Hey congrats!! Gotta love it when a "deal" works out that well to your liking... now don't keep the neighbours up too late :p

cheers

Randy99CL likes this.
  3. Jerzey Bob

Jerzey Bob Synchromatic

Apr 3, 2021
    North Jersey
    nice. If you ever want to beef up the bottom end, try some of those hybrid sets of strings that have heavier 4,5,6's.

Randy99CL likes this.
  4. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    AH-HA !! ..... so last week you started this thread ......

Screen Shot 2021-09-25 at 7.48.32 AM.png

CAUGHT YA !! You've just enabled yourself ....sneaky guy :p:p

Congratulations Randy , she's a fine guitar as I just played on last week at my local GC . Enjoy my friend :)

Randy99CL and Electrosynthesis like this.
  5. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    Congrats on your new guitar.
    I tried one of these and was a bit disappointed: The frets on that one were very un-even and sharp. Maybe I tried a monday-morning-production...
    Good that your`s is a nice one.

Randy99CL likes this.
  6. Highroller

Highroller Country Gent

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    I like those little parlor models. Congrats! I've got a Recording King - very similar type thing. Super fun to play - as long as you don't need anything above the 12th fret!

Side note: I stumbled across an old you-tube video the other day, somebody playing a $2400 Gibson parlor model. I'll tell 'ya - it didn't sound any better than our $150 ones! At least to these ears. That makes yours an exceptional value!

Randy99CL likes this.
  7. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Country Gent

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    Congrats Randy and HNGD. Thanks for the review.

Randy99CL and Runamok like this.
  8. Pine Apple Slim

Pine Apple Slim Country Gent

Dec 14, 2011
    North Alabama
    I have 2 of them.
    The first one I modded with electric guitar strings and a lipstick soundhole pickup/vol knob. It made a fun little traditional slide/blues axe but that's not a style I play all the time. The mods worked great but I lost the remarkable for the price acoustic tone out of the deal.
    So later I got another one and left it totally stock for knock around campfire guitar/ dont want to take my Martin situations.

Randy99CL likes this.
  9. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Country Gent

Congratulations, wish you lots of fun playing it.

Randy99CL likes this.
  10. JC higgy

JC higgy Gretschified

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Congrats Randy!

Randy99CL likes this.
  11. Lacking Talent

Lacking Talent Country Gent

Aug 5, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Congrats! Still lovin' mine...

12. juks

juks Country Gent

Nov 26, 2020
    Fremont, California
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.