Writing music with garageband

Discussion in 'Songs in the key of Gretsch' started by lukez8513, Feb 5, 2013.

1. lukez8513

lukez8513 Gretschie

Dec 27, 2011
    I've been using GarageBand to write music and give demos to the guys for listening before practice. It's been working great, thought I'd share this one, tell me what u think. It's called mercy brown

http://youtu.be/gv2eMqIjCNA

2. Staggerlee

Staggerlee Country Gent

Jul 19, 2012
    Twin Cities
    This is surprisingly good. I'm against using consumer software for serious recording, but this is good. The mix can be thickened up a little, but Im not sure how much flexibility Garageband has for mixing. Otherwise, the guitar sounds great

3. lukez8513

lukez8513 Gretschie

Dec 27, 2011
    It doesn't come with many tools, but perfect for quick recording for demos

4. Staggerlee

Staggerlee Country Gent

Jul 19, 2012
    Twin Cities
    For demo purposes this is absolutely amazing actually. Do you use loops for drums and bass?

5. lukez8513

lukez8513 Gretschie

Dec 27, 2011
    I use drum loops (yuck) and I recorded an upright bass. But it does have bass simulators in the app which don't sound half bad.

6. lukez8513

lukez8513 Gretschie

Dec 27, 2011
    The drum loop is the only artificial part actually. The rest was recorded with a mic and amps blah blah blah

7. G-Whiz

G-Whiz Country Gent

Dec 30, 2011
    Virginia
    Them fake drums don't sound half bad.

8. Mr Swisher

Mr Swisher Synchromatic

Jun 12, 2012
    England
    That is great, really enjoyed that.

9. speedicut

speedicut Friend of Fred

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    Nice job and great song!

10. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    Sounds really good I use pro tools but recently started to play around with garage band makes me think I need to spend more time with it

11. Barty

Barty Gretschie

Jul 28, 2010
    Sydney
    This is great. Very impressive what you can do with a good song and garageband!

12. lukez8513

lukez8513 Gretschie

Dec 27, 2011
    Thanks for the positive feedback

13. Skev

Skev Country Gent

Jul 16, 2011
    France
    Very nice!! Thanks for sharing! I don t have mac so no garage band for me !

14. Sakana

Sakana Gretschie

Nov 12, 2012
    Denmark
    Wow, sounds great!
    On a set a lousy speakers, I'm not sure I'd be able to tell any difference from expensive software. Great playing and thanks for sharing.

15. 6stings

6stings Friend of Fred

Aug 14, 2010
    Norway
  16. organic

organic Synchromatic

Jan 22, 2011
    Worcester UK
    I started using garageband then upgraded to Logic Pro while still only part way through my 1st project. As a former owner of a home studio with 32 channel mixer, half a dozen synths and whatever, I'm absolutely delighted with how easy garageband/logic is in comparison.

I'm also in the situation where I'm not able to play in a band, and this means I'm able to write and record music in whatever bits of spare time I get. Given me a new lease of life, music-wise.

17. Mikus11

Mikus11 Synchromatic

Jan 4, 2012
    London ON Canada
    Questions - have started fooling around with garageband myself.

How are you plugging mic's and guitars into your computer? I have the adapter from my kid's xbox game Rocksmith and that seems to get signal into it. I have a USB mic but what if I want a better mic?

I can probably get a lot better sound from my amp than the modeling amps

18. LittleRedRooster

LittleRedRooster Synchromatic

Dec 10, 2009
    Falls Church VA
    Why are you against them? When you consider that most of what is coming out of the studios today is mostly over compressed dog turds that get recompressed again when played over the air, I think my Garage Band recordings sound pretty nifty.

I saw a great quote from Geoff Emerick where his worst complaint was engineers in ProTools "fixing" the timing of recordings until they were sterile and boring.

19. telespank

telespank Synchromatic

Feb 25, 2011
    Davidson, NC
    I think it sounds very good. I'll take a good drum loop over a bad drummer any time, and it seems like Garageband has some good loops. I'd even bring the drums up in the mix a couple dB.

20. Staggerlee

Staggerlee Country Gent

Jul 19, 2012
    Twin Cities
    I have been using Pro Tools for years. I am aware of the fact that there are other DAWs that are or may be better than Pro Tools, and that run smoother. Still Pro Tools is a professional recording software. You can edit things in such details, that are just not possibl with Garageband, Audacity or any other cheap/free software. PT plug ins are world class quality. They really are. It's hard for someone who doesn't record seriously to appreciate the flexibility and quality of professional DAWs. It's like playing a White Falcon in a Roland Cube amp.

The reason for overcompression is because bands have to complete in the loudness wars. If your record is not loud enough compared to others, it will sound weaker and "not as good". It's all about perception.

In terms of fixing a record until it's sterile and boring - I play in a live band. I am a stickler for quality tone, timing and everything else. My bandmates are not. They don't mind if things sound out of tune, out of time or missmatched in terms of volume. It doesn't bother them but it bothers me. I have "fixed" a lot of records made by people who don't have the same quality control as me. It's a long discussion for sure.,

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.