Wow!!! My 5420 has just come alive!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by Trash Kidd, Sep 15, 2021.

1. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    I've got a TV Hot Rod harness for a future 5422T upgrade. Not installed yet.

I can say that the TV Classics in my Phoenix (Hot Rod Wiring) do seem a little louder than my other Gretsches with a tone switch wiring.

That said, you're getting "all pickup" tone with a HR circuit. A lot less wiring for the pups signal to go through, and less pots. Any tone EQ will be at the amp.

Proper pup height/pole settings are VERY critical with this circuit. Time adjusting is well worth it.

My Phoenix went from meh to WOW once I adjusted the TV's like I've previously posted. Such an even string balance, and pup to pup balance.

Guess I'm a HR circuit fan. Just basic plug in and play. Simple sweet tone.

Marv666 and Trash Kidd like this.
  2. Dave Murray

Dave Murray Gretschie

Feb 27, 2016
    Indio, CA
    Nobbod
    Nobody should be afraid to do their own set-up work. First, it's easy and it is not brain surgery. There are plenty (in fact too many) videos that will show you how to do everything, including the dreaded Truss Rod adjustment, which is no big deal. I have 35 guitars. If I had to go to a tech to do things like adjust the truss rod, the pickup height, action, and other simple tasks like that I'd go bankrupt. Plus, it's fun and makes you feel like you are part of the guitar. As you find, adjusting pickup height and pole pieces can make a huge difference in the sound of a guitar, and all it takes is turning one small screwdriver!

new6659, capnhiho and G5422T like this.
  3. capnhiho

capnhiho Country Gent

Feb 16, 2013
    California
    I realize that TVJ wiring harnesses aren’t made of pixie dust or similar - and that any harness with upgraded components and wiring will be an improvement over the cheap OEM wiring. The advantage to TVJ’s is their experience producing upgrades for Gretsch guitars. I found the sweep of the volume pots and adjustability of the tone control to be far more useful than the original controls. I found their prices to be reasonable compared to the work of others, and their customer service has been excellent (spoke with Tom himself a couple of times!).

I’ve had TVJ make a couple of custom harnesses for me too: my G5245T Double Jet is essentially a Hot Rod harness with a master tone control added, and I had a harness made for my Epi Joe Pass. My plan has been to leave the original pickups in these guitars, and the new wiring “woke up” the BTFT’s and Epi humbuckers. I don’t feel the need to replace pickups in either one!

4. Marv666

Marv666 Gretschie

Jul 26, 2020
    Germany
    Does it affect tone too if you leave everything fully open all the time?

cqscqs likes this.
  5. capnhiho

capnhiho Country Gent

Feb 16, 2013
    California
    I’d have to say that wide open doesn’t make much difference, but if you do make adjustments the improved sweeps of the pots are much more useful.

YMMV

Marv666 likes this.
  6. Mr Twangy

Mr Twangy Electromatic

Dec 27, 2020
    Canada
    That TV Jones pickup and pole piece adjustment guide works great for my humble Blacktop Filters too.

7. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Heck yes. They are a Filtertron.

Mr Twangy and epimetheus81 like this.
  8. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Friend of Fred

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    I’ve twice gone with a TVJ wiring harness.
    In the 5420 it didn’t do much as far as tone enhancement. The switches TV uses are better. I suppose if you use the knobs they’re better, but I usually go full throttle anyway.
    In my 90’s 6120 the new harness was a definite improvement.

cqscqs, dswo, Marv666 and 2 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.