Would you take the plunge? Gretsch 6119 content

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by El Marin, Apr 30, 2021.

1. El Marin

El Marin Gretschie

Hi

I was lurking for a guitar. I moved to Estonia for job reasons. I brought my acoustic with me, my faithful Martin 0-28 12 fretter with me. Actually is my travel guitar. But I miss some electric r'n'r thing, so I started lurking around the world

I came across a 6119 Tennesian Rose quite cheap in Japan for 633,26€ in Japan... sending is expensive, around 316,63€ but the owner accept offers. Top looks OK, fretboard is full of japanese DNA (I hope) and many more things. It comes with a case. No strings so bridge is out. Owner says the bridge is there and included :D Comes also with a case...

I find it too a bargain...

Then check the pics and has some serious scars on the back and sides.

Well, me, myself, am a beater and really don't care much about being pristine. All my guitars have battle scars bigger than those. I gig a lot, before Covid I was earning my bread as guitar player, originals, acoustic sets, rockabilly bands and gun for hire. I am not a good player but I can manage to play with everybody with lots of attitude and presence. No fear at all. Jack of all trades, master of none but it works fine for me so far.

List says:

I am ok with that :D

Usin G**gle translator, it happens to say somethin like this:

"It seems to be made in 2000 from the serial number.
    I bought it from a friend.
    There are scratches, but there is no problem with the electrical system.
    The neck is in good condition, but setup is recommended.
    Since the bridge is not fixed, it is not included in the photo, but it is included."

I asked him if the trus rod works and witch kind of bridge is with the guitar...

I will post the add... I really don't care if somebody gets it before me. But I really am liking get this guitar as a #2 (just in case stringbreak) for my band where I play a 6120 because my #2 actually is borrowed from a band mate.

Whatcha think about this?

https://reverb.com/item/32711879-gretsch-tennessee-rose-2000-rose-burgundy

Wjensen, Marv666 and MrWookiee like this.
  2. Ricochet

Ricochet Senior Gretsch-Talker

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    The price is obviously a steal but a couple of observations.

It is in desperate need of a fret dress. While the lack of strings clearly shows of the state of the frets, it can also obscure the fact it has a problem with neck angle. The scratches on the bottom may not be be scratches but the typical glass like shattering from a fall. Since he doesn’t show a full pic that makes me even more suspicious.

Only 2 sales made. I’d thread very carefully.

3. hcsterg

hcsterg Friend of Fred

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    @El Marin :

My 2nd hand 2008 G6119LH cost me 1700 Euros in 2015, with her matching case and paraphernalia.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The previous owner was very careful, and in fact barely played it preferring his Telecaster, so he sold his pristine Gretsch to buy another Tele. Since it was That Great Gretsch I wanted for years, I took the plunge ! :eek: No regrets... :cool:

Well, mine is a Lefty model, so that explain a 1700 Euros price that can be considered a bit high for a RH player...

So IMHO the one you check on Reverb is a bargain at 951 Euros, despite a lower condition - but nothing dramatic finally, looking at the pics - at least for a touring/pro player like you, I guess... ;)

I'M not sure that you would find a better price, or a better condition G6119 for that price, here in Europe o_O - at least in France, for sure ! :confused:

And the 6119 is a cool Gretsch :cool: : I wouldn't part with mine... :)

A+!

4. Archtops

Archtops Synchromatic

Mar 4, 2021
    SoCal
    Too many red flags for my taste. Good luck!

MotorCentaur, Fat Bastid and El Marin like this.
  5. El Marin

El Marin Gretschie

I have asked the owner to post many more pics of everywhere. As a gigging musician, I learned years ago to do my own setup and my own fret dressing

Yes, is a bargain... but as @Archtops says... too many red flags

I can live with the scars, the guitar will be beated to the bare wood as all of mine, so, one more strip to the tiger won't be noticed in some time.

If I could make clear that it works as a guitar, for me a tool, I would go for it...

Marv666 and Archtops like this.
  6. hcsterg

hcsterg Friend of Fred

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Yes, that's true... :confused:

That's a problem I also know - in another way though : due to the scarcity of Lefty instruments, most of the time, I must buy at distance without having the possibility to test the instrument.

I think I've been lucky until now : no severe issue that couldn't be cured satifactorily. :cool:

A+!

7. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    I’m experiencing the same with a 90s Duo Jet.
    Coming from Japan, being repainted, bargain price.
    I know there may be something wrong, but still I’m tempted. I managed to grind on the brakes until now, but darn it’s hard.

I feel you my friend. Maybe it’s the Latino blood.:)

El Marin likes this.
  8. bluenote23

bluenote23 Country Gent

Oct 17, 2009
    Montreal, Canada
    Keep in mind this is a preFMIC Gretsch. So it will probably be heftier than your 6120 with a 5 ply top. I personally like ceramic Filtertrons but you will notice a difference if your 6120 has HS Filtertons. PreFMIC Filtertrons are more gritty, not quite so bell like as HS Filtertrons but they dirty up nicer, if you ask me.

The bridge might be a poorly designed preFMIC roller bridge (not a Space Control, this was only found on certain preFMIC Gretschs) but the base will be good and a bar only costs $40 -$50.

It will have mini pots. I have them in my 1997 Red Sparkle Jet and they have never given me a problem..

Aftermarket prices for preFMIC Gretschs are often lower than more current models as they are perceived by some to be slightly inferior to post 2003 models. If you end up paying $1000-$1200, you could resell it for that but with the cosmetic damage, it might require some patience on your part.

Last edited: May 1, 2021
    El Marin likes this.
  9. El Marin

El Marin Gretschie

My 6120 is a 1990. Also PreFMIC. Best 6120 I have tried, and tried many, that's why is mine... But has TV Jones Classics, brass nut, SS jumbo frets, space control bridge and good electronic. So, being preFender is not a problem to me.

I am holding my horses until the owners answer me

calebaaron666 likes this.
  10. Fat Bastid

Fat Bastid Gretschie

Jan 16, 2021
    England
    No String tension has been on the neck/guitar, so you'd better hope the truss-rod is OK
    and the neck ain't bowed.. There are no photo's of the neck straight-ness from along
    the body to.. Warning signs for me..

11. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    I am quite sure that the shipping costs are not correct/miscalculated. I would check that. It could be done much, much cheaper.

El Marin likes this.
  12. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Friend of Fred

El Marin, I think you are approaching the guitar in the right way. Yes, it's a 6119 Tennessee Rose and they are very nice guitars. I bought my 2011 used so I do know it first hand.

Having said that, as I said, you are approaching it in the right way by asking for more pictures. More pictures are definitely needed, especially one of the missing bridge, just to make sure he has it. You also should get pictures sighting down the length of the neck to make sure there aren't any issues there that they are hiding. The more good pictures they are willing to show, the better the deal might become, but if they balk at certain pictures, that would tell me to move on.

El Marin likes this.
  13. El Marin

El Marin Gretschie

I know. I have sent guitars and amps overseas and cost is almost half of what he is asking (fast and insurance). I take that on count. If I am happy with the answer, I will make a real offer regading that point.

BUT if no answer or no fotos are sent I will just pass

No strings or tension is no problem for a neck with a truss rod neck (if it works properly).

As I said... if no further info is provided, is a big NO

14. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    To me the back looks like it may have taken an impact and the frets kind of look like and a mature tried to level them. Hard pass for me.

El Marin likes this.
  15. Bob Perrone

Bob Perrone Gretschie

Mar 7, 2017
    allentown, pa
    Neck angle is my biggest concern.

El Marin likes this.
  16. El Marin

El Marin Gretschie

No answer, so no action

Henry and Bertotti like this.
  17. SAguitar

SAguitar Synchromatic

Jan 17, 2020
    Jack Plate, Oregon
    There may be a better deal in your future! Rock on.

El Marin likes this.
  18. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    That price is not that good imo (admittedly, from a USA perspective) and why the heck won't they just put string on it?

El Marin likes this.
  19. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Because there are issues? Sure is sketchy

Last edited: May 7, 2021
    El Marin likes this.
  20. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    The condition is pretty bad and refusing to put a $5 pack of string on is very sketchy.

El Marin likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.