Would you loan your guitar?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Jelly Roll Horton, Feb 28, 2021.

1. Merc

Merc Friend of Fred

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    I met up with my brother for a jam last fall. He told me he was getting his Schecter and small amp back that he lent out because it was a 7 hour drive. When I grabbed the G&L case and big Carvin amp to help him unload, I knew something was up. It turns out he lent them out and the guy was dodging his phone calls. Finally he got a hold of him while we were together. Apparently the guy lost the Schecter and bedroom amp and wouldn’t go into detail. He simply said he lost them and would replace them.

I’ve honestly been burned so many times lending out non guitar stuff earlier in my life. My answer is no on lending a guitar with one exception, my brother.

new6659 and MotorCentaur like this.
  2. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    It all depends on the circumstance for me

3. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
  4. slickfaster

slickfaster Country Gent

Dec 29, 2009
    USA
    Only if I didn’t expect to get it back.... 8C6E0471-9CAC-40AA-910A-0BF81C25F6F2.jpeg

MotorCentaur likes this.
  5. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Gretschie

Nov 18, 2019
    Beaverton, OR, USA
    In the past, I've often had trouble loaning things in general. The things I loan usually end up missing, or it comes back damaged. So I usually don't like the idea of loaning something. Particularly something like a guitar, which I'd prefer not get dinged up as much as possible - I know it's probably inevitable, but I like to be careful with my stuff. I have no control over what someone else might do with my stuff though..

6. JC higgy

JC higgy Gretschified

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    No.

The only person i'd loan guitars to would be my Cuz,cause he's like me with them,he treats them with respect,ya know.
    I've loaned him my Princeton and Music Man amps on a few occasions when his amp let him down at the last moment before a gig.
    I've also loaned my MM amp to his friend for a studio recording,kinda hoped he would've bought it to be honest!:D

I did loan my garden strimmer out a few years ago,still waiting on getting that back,just as well i have 2.:rolleyes:

7. PlumaBlanca

PlumaBlanca Electromatic

Sorry to hear that about all your mishaps. I guess it's like @LA Miles says, "no good deed goes unpunished."

My take on loaning anything to anyone is if you're not prepared to "kiss it goodbye" as the worst outcome, then don't bother loaning out.

Now, that being said I do loan my guitars only to my guitar tech friend, when I'm away traveling for long periods, and the funny thing is they always come back in better shape!

BrianW and loudnlousy like this.
  8. MotorCentaur

MotorCentaur Synchromatic

May 11, 2016
    Seattle
    Fortunately, like HCSTERG, I am Left handed, so the ask to borrow a guitar comes up very rarely.

I've been asked a few times to loan an amp. I'm pretty reluctant to do that too, saying as they are all vintage 60's rigs in good/great condition (they aren't mint, but original grills without rips, minor tolex scuffs on the back/bottom, etc.).

The last person was my former neighbor/ good friend, they wanted to borrow my Ampeg B-18 for a show, I declined.

The year previous, I had lent him my new lawn-mower. He lent it to the next neighbor, who somehow lost the oil cap, neither one of them could be arsed to replace it. Left me sour if you know what I mean.

Other people, with few exceptions, just won't treat your stuff with the care that you do. I think mostly because even if they know the value of something, it wasn't any investment or sacrifice (and believe me, I have sacrificed greatly saving, finding and purchasing the sweet vintage and some new gear that I am lucky to own) on their part that brought that value into their life, even if just temporarily.

And it is pretty dang hard to get someone to pay up for a 3 inch gouge down the neck of you Country Gent, or a punctured speaker and grill.

TLDR; My Left-Handed guitars are too rare and precious to me, to take any risk of loan. I wouldn't loan anything vintage or expensive, or not easily replaceable. Even then it would only be like for a short, finite period, like the weekend.

And I HATE having to go fetch my stuff too. Dammit, you borrowed it, bring it back, and with a 6-pack or something!

new6659 likes this.
  9. Trash Kidd

Trash Kidd Country Gent

Dec 14, 2015
    London U.K.
    No!!!! I’m very funny about my guitars. I don’t even like anyone else playing them...

10. Precise.

11. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    As long as I know and trust the person then yeah, but I am very aware of how my friends treat things so some are a yes and some are a no.

audept likes this.
  12. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I've had people beat on my guitars with me sitting there. I'm not going to let them out of my sight. As Agent Muldar taught us---"Trust no one." I was taught to ask permission first (No means NO!) and if I borrow something, to return it in better/cleaner shape than I got it. Many people didn't get that message.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
    Stefan87 and new6659 like this.
  13. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Never. People who want to borrow guitars too often don’t feel like ones who would take good care of it.

wabash slim, Dumbthumbs and Henry like this.
  14. Gretschmen65

Gretschmen65 Country Gent

May 20, 2016
    QLD Australia
    Yes, I'm with those who say NO!
    I don't keep many guitars but those I keep I cherish.

I wouldn't even lend one. ;)

15. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I was trying to think of the situation, person and guitar in which I would lend a guitar . . . which means, no. I think I would rather buy someone cheap guitar then lend them one of mine.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
    Archtops, Jelly Roll Horton and GlenP like this.
  16. GlenP

GlenP Country Gent

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    Not again. Once bitten.

Jelly Roll Horton likes this.
  17. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    Lent my Gibson acoustic to my buddy who was the worship leader at church at the time. Let him hold on to it for 6 months while he saved up for his next guitar. I got to see it on stage every week. Yeah it came back with strum scratches, but I figure that’s what it’s for. I’d lend just about any of them out to anyone who knows me well enough to have the courage to ask....except the 1955es 295....that one I kind of feel like I owe it to Gibson to keep it safe.

rockinforJesus likes this.
  18. Jelly Roll Horton

Jelly Roll Horton Country Gent

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    I should have done this as a poll, but it seems most are disinclined to loan. Maybe recalling the advice to Laertes by his father, Polonius, in Hamlet: “Neither a borrower nor a lender be."

Archtops likes this.
  19. DangerousD

DangerousD Electromatic

Oct 15, 2020
    Colorado
    My MIM strat...no problem. Wouldn't care much if I even got it back. My Gretsch or my SG...no way.

Duo Slinger and MotorCentaur like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.