Would you do this?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by StJohn, Jun 2, 2017.

1. StJohn

StJohn Country Gent

Jun 5, 2008
    North Louisiana
    This is my second Golden Anniversary, and I love it, but it has its small issues. I love the other 6120 pretty much as it is, except I'll probably but a zeroglide nut in.
    I actually like the Gretsch pickups more than the Classics, so I'm thinking I'd eventually like either t-armonds or t-90s in it. The two small issues are, for one, the guy who had it before apparently put wax not only on the body, but hardware too. I've got most of the residue off, but the only piece that was really affected was the Bigsby. However, the strap pin screws are rusted, and there's some spotting on some of the other hardware. I know it happens with gold, but it's been made a little worse from the wax. Additionally, at some point the hinge on the Bigsby shifted. I fixed with a small washer.
    So, when I started thinking about changing pickups, I thought about changing the hardware over to nickel, starting with a Gretsch V cut Bigsby. I'd go on and change switch tips, knobs, bridge-was going to upgrade anyway-and tuners, along with a zeroglide as well. I love the looks of gold top les Paul's, and I think it gold with chrome hardware would work here as well.

Whatcha think? IMG_0518.JPG

2. Ricochet

Ricochet Senior Gretsch-Talker

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Fwiw I like it as is, and I'm not even a huge fan of gold hardware.

3. heinzman

heinzman Gretschie

I think you have a love over gold... C3PO... so why changing to chrome ????
    Do both of the high E-strings touch the Bigsby handles ??? Or is it only a perspective thing ?

4. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    It would look good I think...probably not as good but good.:)

5. StJohn

StJohn Country Gent

Jun 5, 2008
    North Louisiana
    funny thing is, I'm not a gold fan at all, but I do like gold guitars! Here's the story of how I came across Gretsch and the GA in particular. I was in a rut playing, and saw the Danny Gatton/Robert Gordon episode of Austin City Limits. He was playing a lot of early Elvis, and he had an ES-295. It blew me away, so I started learning that kind of stuff while looking for an ES-295 (Travis picking on a Charvel Pro Mod just didn't feel right!). Of course the Gibson one was outrageous expense and the Epiphone ones at that time were somewhat sketch. I was in a music store and saw the GA hanging. Tried it and fell in love. It went home with me the next time I was in there. I had it for a couple of years, but had to sell to raise cash-divorce stuff. I regretted having had to let it go, but I found this used one for a good price so all was right with the world again!.

heinzman likes this.
  6. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Friend of Fred

I'd have a hard time switching out the gold hardware for the nickel, but then I do like gold hardware. It's not on all my guitars, but I do have a few with gold hardware, and I wouldn't change it.

7. StJohn

StJohn Country Gent

Jun 5, 2008
    North Louisiana
    oh, and the main reason I'm changing is functional. I don't know if that Bigsby is going to hold up over the long haul. I feel like it's under a lot of pressure to stay in the right position with the washer-without it, the bend in the hinge wants to pull it toward the treble side. I'd also like some other tuners, as I think there's some slippage in the tuners on it-and if I did that, I might as well go for locking. Really though, I don't want to add holes, so if I can't find a direct fit, I'll probably get newer versions of the same. I don't know if the original owner oiled the gears or if he waxed over them too, but there's a couple that seem to slip. I try to imagine the gold v cut Bigs on the other guitar on the GA, and it just seems like too much for some reason, but I like the idea of a nickel one on there. If I do that, and the tuners, I may as well do the knobs too, which wouldn't be much more. I'd keep all the original parts of course, but keeping a player stock doesn't really interest me if I can improve it.

blueruins likes this.
  8. Ricochet

Ricochet Senior Gretsch-Talker

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    So if I'm reading you right you're really after a ES-295 vibe.
    Why not fit 2 cream dogears. You've got the Filters covered?

Rob Williams likes this.
  9. StJohn

StJohn Country Gent

Jun 5, 2008
    North Louisiana
    I am leaning heavily to T90s over T-armonds...don't want to dogear it cuz I don't want to hack the guitar up. Yep, filters are covered. And you're right on the 295 vibe.

10. StJohn

StJohn Country Gent

Jun 5, 2008
    North Louisiana
    not the same guitar, but you can get the idea with this pic I think: gold and silver.jpg

11. StJohn

StJohn Country Gent

Jun 5, 2008
    North Louisiana
    this one may be a little closer gold 6120 silver.jpg

12. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    Looks very nice to me.

13. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Friend of Fred

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    A few years ago I had a gold FSR Annie from Cream City with chrome hardwear and a B6C. It looked a bit anaemic so I put gold pups in for a bit of contrast. Nice guitar, but huge frets so off it went. In hindsight I should have got a fret job.

14. JC higgy

JC higgy Gretschified

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    I say customize it to your liking sir!

But i'd put a pair of cream dog ears on there cause they look cool,and it would then be hacked and i'd have to keep it,maybe even put a cream floral guard on there too.....or maybe that's too much!:D

Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
  15. MTurner

MTurner Friend of Fred

Aug 17, 2010
    Clayton, North Carolina, USA
    If it's the same guitar I'm thinking of, it was fantastically gorgeous!

16. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Friend of Fred

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
  17. MTurner

MTurner Friend of Fred

Aug 17, 2010
    Clayton, North Carolina, USA
    Yep, that's it. I don't even like gold guitars, but I like that one.

18. StJohn

StJohn Country Gent

Jun 5, 2008
    North Louisiana
    That looks great, and pretty much made my mind up for me

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.