Would you buy more Gretsch guitars if they didn't have Bigsbys on them?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by DHart, Oct 27, 2019.

1. GOOBALL JEFF

GOOBALL JEFF Synchromatic

Oct 1, 2019
    london
    I have been contemplating putting one on this for the longest time
    hahaha i guess not, but a spring must move over time with tension? there must be a settling period? but yeah point taken

2. Tele295

Tele295 Country Gent

If I found a magic Gretsch without a Bigsby, I’d buy it and put a Bigsby on it

(still thinking about the magic Jet that I let get away a few weeks ago)

3. DennisC

DennisC Country Gent

May 11, 2017
    Germany
    I want one. They're cool.

Would buy without nevertheless, if the option with Bigsby means it's a 5 or 7 or alike - and add a 6 myself.

4. DHart

DHart Synchromatic

Jun 26, 2019
    Arizona
    The vibrato from a Bigsby is something that once someone gets used to using a lot, I can see how they might feel at quite a loss without one. Thus, I can see how a lot of Gretsch players would almost insist on having a Bigsby on all of their guitars.

Of course, there is a good bit of vibrato that one can do with ones fingers, hand, and arm too, though it's not quite the exact same effect.

I'm not addicted to using the Bigsby on my G6119T....

...yet. :D (I don't play it very much.)

Last edited: Nov 1, 2019
  5. Parttime

Parttime Gretschie

Dec 6, 2018
    Texas
    A better look at that blonde there would be greatly appreciated.

6. lathoto

lathoto Gretschie

Apr 23, 2020
    Ohio
    I was hoping they would come out with one that two Bigsbys on it.

7. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Hammerhands likes this.
  8. DHart

DHart Synchromatic

Jun 26, 2019
    Arizona
    And, I have done just that with my G6119T.

This might not appeal as much to dedicated Gretsch/Bigsby players, but I would bet that it would appeal to a much broader swath of guitar buyers, in general. Fortunately, I only have to please myself.

Part of the reason that I never bought a Gretsch until now (after decades of playing) is because the Bigsbys always kind of turned me off to the guitars. It's clear that the guitars themselves are of great quality and have fantastic tone!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I like the lighter weight, the clean, less cluttered-up top, and the looks, too.. In addition, the tuning stability is rock solid now (locking tuners and no Bigsby). It would have been nice to be able to buy the guitar equipped this way for $100 or so less money.

I wouldn't mind a Bigsby on one guitar, but it would be nice to be able to buy more Gretsch models without having to pay extra for the Bigsby, and then even more on top of that to buy a replacement tailpiece.

I'm quite happy with my guitars, though.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2020
    Waxhead likes this.
  9. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Looks GREAT.
    Don't know why Grestch don't use those tail pieces more often

DHart likes this.
  10. DHart

DHart Synchromatic

Jun 26, 2019
    Arizona
    I agree, Mister Waxhead. :)

Waxhead likes this.
  11. jdr1014

jdr1014 Synchromatic

Apr 16, 2009
    Orrington, Maine
    Personally I'm not interested in Gretsches without Bigsbys…...

I have Telecasters and Les Paul for non - vibrato playing.

12. Seziertisch

Seziertisch Electromatic

Jan 27, 2020
    EU
    Did you notice a tonal difference between the Bigsby and the floating tailpiece?

13. sgarnett

sgarnett Synchromatic

Apr 14, 2020
    Kentucky
    I don’t use the trem much on either a Strat or Gretsch. When I do, it’s just for light vibrato, not dive bombs.

However, I have my Strat trem floating because I like the feel and tone that way. When I tried several Gretsch models with and without the Bigsby, I liked the feel and tone of the Bigsby version better. That’s not bias in action - I was expecting to like the tailpiece better.

Maybe it’s the spring, maybe it’s the extra mass, I don’t know, but it works for me.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
  14. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Friend of Fred

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    I'd love to see the Caddy tail piece as an aftermarket option, in gold and nickel. Right now they are rarer than unicorn ploppy.

I really want a short one in chrome/nickel, to go on this as it's not quite blingy enough-

rdsp.jpg

15. mister rain

mister rain Gretschie

Apr 23, 2020
    new orleans
  16. mister rain

mister rain Gretschie

Apr 23, 2020
    new orleans
    very sonic youth / robert smith. that sort of playing is why i miss being in a rock band.

17. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I would take two Gretsch’s with a G tailpiece provides I already had a model with a Bigsby. A Penguin and a Falcon but I would have to have the Bigsby version first and lots of cash to do so of course.

18. Crooner

Crooner Friend of Fred

Apr 15, 2009
    Boston
    I love Bigsbys. In fact, I'm not crazy about the recent change to the brand name Bigsbys on the remaining models that have them. I miss the V cutout Gretsch branded Bigsbys. And to quote what Wayne said, if you're nuts over the Bigs, you can easily replace it with a G cutout tailpiece.

If you properly lube your guitar's nut and bridge, a Bigsby will stay in tune as long as you don't dive bomb.

And I do agree with Audept... no tension bar Bigsbys for me.

19. DHart

DHart Synchromatic

Jun 26, 2019
    Arizona
    There may be a very slight change in tone, but so slight as to pretty much go by under the radar.

I would enjoy one Gretsch with a Bigsby, and also one without.

20. BohemianLikeMe

BohemianLikeMe Gretschie

Apr 18, 2020
    Prague, CZ
    No trem = no deal.

I'm excited to own a guitar in the next few months (hopefully) with a Bigsby.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.