Would this detour you?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by cosmicCowboy, Feb 19, 2021.

1. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    I agree 100%

A Duffy Falcon might be a great guitar but that ex broken one is only worth parts on it to me - maybe $200-300.
    And then it would take many hours of your time trying to sell them = not worth the bother imo.
    So in fact it's worth zero to me :eek:

If you bought this Duffy for more than $300 the dodgy repair might last 10 years or 10 hrs.
    Either way you'd never have any confidence in it and neither would anyone else if you tried to sell it.
    And on selling it would always be a problem and you'd always be offered just parts value for it. :D

Merc likes this.
  2. NiterideGuitarist

NiterideGuitarist Electromatic

Jun 4, 2016
    Rochester, NY
  3. Tele295

Tele295 Country Gent

Yes, it would deter me.

4. NiterideGuitarist

NiterideGuitarist Electromatic

Jun 4, 2016
    Rochester, NY
    I just sold a 2001 highly figured Premium Plus Custom Gibson LP that I bought for $1300 from a band mate that played out with it as long as we were together (knowing the headstock was re-glued. Sold it for $1100. New it was worth over $3000 all day. I wouldn’t make a purchase like that. My original intention was to replace the neck (cost factory estimated was over $2K). Pretty as it was, it was a too heavy for me and too expensive to do it right. On the other hand the shop owner that bought it said he liked the neck and was thinking about keeping it himself.

5. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    Look at us! 5 pages about a guitar with a broken headstock that none of us own. I love this place.

L Robbins, Waxhead and Merc like this.
  6. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    In defense of five pages, it is a high end Gretsch with a superb repair job.

7. dspellman

dspellman Electromatic

Jul 4, 2020
    Los Angeles
    It would deter me. In fact, I've never purchased a guitar that had previously experienced a break. There's always another one.

8. Glaw

Glaw Electromatic

Aug 30, 2017
    ca.
    When you dreamed about this guitar did it have a crack in it? I’d easily pass.

new6659 and Runamok like this.
  9. Runamok

Runamok Synchromatic

Aug 25, 2017
    USA midwest
    The C clamp slows down restringing a wee bit.
    Locking machine heads might help.

A profeesional repair on this guitar: did anyone price it?
    Seems to me that would tell one whether $1500 is a “good price” & still requires a desire to gamble for a “dream guitar.”

I call it spending $2000 of slot machine money
    for the rights to a future story — whether its a good outcome, or bad.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
  10. petecarlton

petecarlton Newbie

Feb 10, 2021
    Nottingham, UK
    Hell, yeah!

11. rob batz

rob batz Country Gent

Apr 17, 2014
    Bristol ct.
    Not for me , could never buy a broken guitar regardless if it’s stable or not I couldn’t stand it

12. birddog

birddog Electromatic

Apr 12, 2016
    NC
    Never let your dreams and emotions interfere with your finances...

Invest that money in what you want without the burden of the remorse that could be had wishing you never got involved in the transaction. If the investment for one in pristine condition isn't one you can make...keep the dream. You will be happier.

(Courtesy of a fortune cookie I got once).....(it was a damn big cookie.)

13. gretsch-to-go

gretsch-to-go Electromatic

Oct 2, 2019
    Palm Coast, FL
    Gretsch is Fender, so it would really be a Fender neck as replacement or their refurbished neck replacement.

14. doc538

doc538 Electromatic

Sep 20, 2017
    Massachusetts
  15. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.