Would this detour you?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by cosmicCowboy, Feb 19, 2021.

1. YaDaddy

YaDaddy Gretschie

Mar 16, 2020
    Marietta, GA
    I would’ve passed months ago, but for the right price it wouldn’t stop me after my first experience with solving a headstock break. It’s shocking what can be fixed on a guitar. Gotta build in the cost of repair by an experienced luthier and then some for the unexpected.

My before and after:

65AB5561-E24D-4DB2-84EA-B4EB85E9A3A6.jpeg 87994BC9-97A3-49C3-BC68-2F50E20A3FB0.jpeg 6719B840-F532-4807-A814-A6DDB7946150.jpeg D029B20F-01E9-46DE-A934-4D929EAA4533.jpeg 5EA4C85E-D548-4A36-82DE-CD6DA5EDA21E.jpeg

2. BrianW

BrianW Country Gent

Oct 21, 2014
    Vancouver Island
  3. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

He put felt pads on his C-clamp;):rolleyes:. I think I can see some squeeze out which looks clear - probably super glue. Also just noticed that his shop is conveniently located in either his kitchen or his living room!

BrianW likes this.
  4. BrianW

BrianW Country Gent

Oct 21, 2014
    Vancouver Island
    By the look of the crack being only most of the way through the headstock it looks like it was just possibly pried open a bit and glue inserted. If it is super glue it didn't go very far after squeezing out (to my eyes anyway). Have to wonder how far IN it went. But that's just me.

... and I was also thinking he must be good to be gluing up in his living room ! o_O

Pls note: I am not a luthier or tech, so what I see may not reflect reality.

new6659 likes this.
  5. juks

juks Electromatic

Nov 26, 2020
    Fremont, California
    Pass from me too. I'm not an expert to take that kind of a risk.

6. Trash Kidd

Trash Kidd Country Gent

Dec 14, 2015
    London U.K.
    Definite pass from me... Wouldn’t chance it.

7. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Hahahaha now this is priceless. I have done work on a kitchen table before but this nice clamp set up with whatever he stuck in there is definitely the work of a master of something.

8. fleetwoodPC

fleetwoodPC Electromatic

Nov 20, 2020
    Phila
    ‘Professionally repaired’ means money was paid. I’d rather have it ‘professionally restored’. Yes it’s not a simple repair but you can see on YouTube videos how good these pros really are. And it’s far easier make it look factory with white paint. If I actually wanted that guitar I think 1500 will be fine.

9. PJHoppy

PJHoppy Electromatic

Feb 9, 2014
    London
    I bought an SG with a repaired neck (similar to this Falcon) from a shop on Denmark Street, London and had it for 10 years without problems...until I came to sell it in part exchange for a 6120-55. The shop’s repairman concluded that the neck repair wasn’t solid enough and so I was offered only 2/3rds of the exchange value. Some neck repairs will last well and I had bought from a reputable dealer so would have had some redress if there had been a problem with the neck early on. My lesson from this experience is that if something isn’t perfect, or even if it is, whomever you’re trying to sell it to will knock you down in price.

10. MWR07

MWR07 Newbie

Nov 1, 2013
    Texas
    I'm sorry but if those are pictures of the "after" repair I wouldn't have posted them. Send it to me and when you get it back you won't see a crack. After a few jams with the group you won't even think about it any more.. I'm not bragging but I've repaired shovel handles that look better than that. I am not trying to offend CC just say'n...

Waxhead likes this.
  11. hogrider16

hogrider16 Gretschie

Oct 18, 2017
    charles town wv
    A neck repair wouldn't deter me, but that looks like a really bad neck repair and a really bad neck repair would deter me.

new6659 likes this.
  12. bigjohnbates

bigjohnbates Gretschie

Jun 15, 2011
    Vancouver
    I shattered a neck throwing a hollow body in the air and not catching it while playing a festival a few years ago. A great luthier named Duncan James - who is also great guitarist in a Swiss band called Hillbilly Moon Explosion - was on the bill with us. He took my guitar back to Swizzyland and I met him a week later my neck was perfect. I have since had the guitar repainted (by Rob at Vancouver Guitar Refinishers) and there is nothing to see or feel or worry about. Your call. a0PlPgGa.jpeg
    (Photo is of refinished guitar)

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
    KreepyTeach likes this.
  13. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa Cruz
    Good call

I have no direct experience with broken headstocks but have of course seen a zillion phots of repaired ones and I can’t remember ever seeing a repair that looks as bad as the one you posted.

Waxhead likes this.
  14. rocko

rocko Electromatic

Call me a coward but I won't buy a repaired headstock ever again. I know others who have had luck with those repairs but it hasn't been my experience.

15. Bob Perrone

Bob Perrone Electromatic

Mar 7, 2017
    allentown, pa
  16. Wavey

Wavey Electromatic

Dec 31, 2016
    NorCal
    From the Ministry of Silly Questions: Would the Gretsch Custom Shoppe take it in and replace the neck (for a reasonable price)? The repair should then be impeccable, the history pedigreed, and the instrument itself recognizable since it already has its own message thread on GT.

new6659 likes this.
  17. Runamok

Runamok Synchromatic

Aug 25, 2017
    USA midwest
    Deter, or detour?

Repaired neck —
    1) Who did the repair?
    2) Do you like to gamble? ​

Waxhead likes this.
  18. SAguitar

SAguitar Synchromatic

Jan 17, 2020
    Jack Plate, Oregon
    That would be enough to deter me from purchasing that guitar!

19. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    I get why someone might attempt a headstock repair like this on their own if it were a low or mid priced guitar. But seriously? A guitar of this value should be professionally repaired by someone who knows what they’re doing. And that includes paint repair. These pictures just convince me it’s a hack job and that this guitar would only be worth parts to me. It would’ve been better left un repaired where the buyer could choose to get it done right.

Runamok, new6659, Stefan87 and 3 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.