Would this detour you?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by cosmicCowboy, Feb 19, 2021.

1. capnhiho

capnhiho Synchromatic

Feb 16, 2013
    California
    I’d pass on this one....
    Keep looking!

2. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    mrfixitmi, L Robbins and mbkri like this.
  3. lathoto

lathoto Synchromatic

Apr 23, 2020
    Ohio
  4. bluenote23

bluenote23 Country Gent

Oct 17, 2009
    Montreal, Canada
    Just for the accuracy of information, Gretsch prolines don't have scarf joints. Necks are either one pieces or three piece with a center strip laminate. Sometimes there will be wing joints on the headstock.

As for the guitar, if it were me, I would want a beautiful guitar to be beautiful. So if that break could be repaired invisibly, I might be interested (but I already have a Falcon and 5 other Gretschs so this is only hypothetical) but that would mean much closer inspection by a professional luthier. And I paid $2500 (Canadian!) for my Falcon so, at least for the stingy buyer I am, that is way too expensive for a broken guitar.

new6659 likes this.
  5. hcsterg

hcsterg Friend of Fred

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    No. It would not detour me - at that price, OK ? - even if it was a LH one...

As an example : here is the issue that I had on my Gretsch G400 Synchromatic that I bought from USA via eBay for 700 Euros including shipping. I had that bad surprise when I opened the packaging - I remember discussing about that with member @Andrew Griffin who also owns a G400 IIRC :

[​IMG]

I'll never know if this headstock crack occured during transit or if it was an already done and non-declared damage... So I had 2 possibilites : return and refund, or repair.

I showed this to an amateur luthier friend for advice, and he said that it was quite easy to repair properly, since the crack was neat and even. He carved a special pair of jaws to press the repair and used the adequate glue (TiteBond).

He did the job well except that he forgot to tint locally the crack trace before applying coat and finishing, making the crack trace slightly visible in the dark part of the Sunburst :

Where ?

[​IMG]

There :

[​IMG]

He wanted to refinish to make the crack disappearing and I said "no worry, let it like that, it's fine enough for me". He did not wanted me to pay... :rolleyes:

Note again : my pal is an amateur, not a pro.

So when I read this :
    [​IMG]

And watching the job he has done considering the value of the guitar and the fact that he claims to be a pro :

[​IMG]

A White color is in no way more difficult to finish than a Sunburst dégradé one, right ? Leaving that as is and arguing he his a pro let me doubt more than seriously about the quality of the crack repair he made !

IMHO, this Guy takes you for a fool... :rolleyes:

Indeed, I personally would pass ! o_O

But it's me, OK ? :D

A+!

new6659 likes this.
  6. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    If it's been repaired well I wouldn't be overly concerned if I was getting it well under $2K.

It should definitely have the finish fixed though IMO. It's a whole lot more work to fix a badly repaired break than an unrepaired one.

I'd pass unless I could get it for an absolute steal & get it fixed up right.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2021
    hcsterg likes this.
  7. Back in Black

Back in Black Synchromatic

Jun 22, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    cC,

Not a deal breaker, for me I would have preferred to see the head-stock separate in the case, and the repair performed by me.

At least he did not refinish the neck and disavow the repair, or the break.

Make an offer you are comfortable with, taking a potential re-repair/re-finish into consideration.

Myself, I would not re-break the repair, but would route two grooves, install two oak splines, and refinish all visible damage.

At least its white, and not lime green metal-flake. Refinish the entire back of the neck, be sure to retain SN.

Best,

BIB.

8. Back in Black

Back in Black Synchromatic

Jun 22, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    MB,

In this case the head-stock was not ''completely'' broken off, but held on by the surface wood grain/facing on the front of the head-stock.

The rigidity of the truss rod cover may also had a hand in preventing a complete break.

This happens a lot with LP head-stock breaks, the front facing/surfacing keeps the head-stock from breaking off completely.

Helps in the repair, when the break is closed, the headstock realigns on its own, you just have to make sure that no loose grain fibers/crack debris get mis aligned across the grooves in the grain.

BIB.

9. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    Unless I could have an expert third party assess the repair work, hard pass.

10. JC higgy

JC higgy Gretschified

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Pass.

A pro luthier would never leave it looking like that,it should be invisible.

hcsterg and Bertotti like this.
  11. Shock

Shock Electromatic

Sep 7, 2020
    Minnesota
    IMO it is worth the parts that are not damaged. IMO again, even after repairs it is only worth half value (although I wouldn't own it). There is no money to be made here. I have bought a couple of guitars that have needed work, but it is things like refrets and electronics. You need to have a good foundation to start with. But if you really want it, offer him to just put all the parts into the case, and you will give him $500 take it or leave it. If it was such an awesome deal, why isn't he doing the work himself and making out like a bandit?

This is the only time I have ever heard anyone on here say "Don't buy it." That should tell you something.

thunder58 likes this.
  12. hcsterg

hcsterg Friend of Fred

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Yes, that's it, exactly.

A+!

13. GOOBALL JEFF

GOOBALL JEFF Synchromatic

Oct 1, 2019
    london
    well that's a very rare sight!

14. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    thunder58 likes this.
  15. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Oh , I agree with that 100% . If I was the one who cracked the head stock , I think I would rather just change the whole neck on the guitar rather than repair the damaged head stock is what I'm saying . Yes , there are thousands of guitar players that would swear the " the headstock repair is even stronger than before it cracked / broke " ....it's just not me .

mbkri and Waxhead like this.
  16. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    All joking aside this is a fixable break. But if it was previously glued incorrectly it would be more difficult. Depending on the break location and damage around it I wouldn’t hesitate to just lop off the head and scaf on a new one. Most of the headstock items are salvageable maybe even the binding. But who wants to pay someone to do that. And how many have the skills to refinish it as well as repair it. Think about it many instruments start life with a scarf joint for the headstock no reason a replacement wouldn’t be as good as new when done correctly.

17. mrfixitmi

mrfixitmi Country Gent

Mar 20, 2010
    Michigan
    Tough Call, but I would pass.
    I understand that this is a dream, and you have been waiting for the right opportunity, but another will come along without the headaches. Before, repair process, and after, along with customer feedback will be helpful enough to know if it worth the risk. A well done repair can make the neck stronger than it was originally, however, if the wood had enough porosity, or bad sections, it may crack adjacent to the original break. Without seeing the before repair, with a good view of the grain, and the process that was used to repair it, it is hard to say.

Sorry my friend.

Bertotti likes this.
  18. cosmicCowboy

cosmicCowboy Electromatic

Feb 11, 2021
    Texas hill country
    Thank you all for your advice. Taking everything into consideration and reading all the replies I have decided that this would end up being a nightmare and that is not what I am looking for

Merc, mbkri, Henry and 3 others like this.
  19. mrfixitmi

mrfixitmi Country Gent

Mar 20, 2010
    Michigan
    Cosmic, when these thing cross the paths of our lives, I always remember some sage advice from my Grandmother. IMHO, it has always come to fruition, and served me well. Good things come to those who wait. Don't spoil the dream, keep the dream alive, and you will find another without the worries.

new6659 and JC higgy like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.