Worst Concert You Ever Saw?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by drmilktruck, Jan 7, 2021.

1. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    Me too, but they have no gigs either. Right now, going out to see anybody would be good. I'm Covid'd out.

2. ramjac

ramjac Synchromatic

Aug 14, 2011
    Wisconsin
    Shannon Hoon had no idea where he was when Blind Melon opened for the Stones in Ames. Shouted “Hello, Des Moines” into the mic and out came the tomatoes. Played a short but still lethargic set and slunk away. Jagger won the crowd back immediately with what has to be the most accurate and impressive dissertation on the local geography ever performed during a rock concert.

I’d say that Blind Melon was the worst opener ever if I hadn’t seen Jackyl open for Aerosmith.

wabash slim likes this.
  3. Runamok

Runamok Synchromatic

Aug 25, 2017
    USA midwest
    No idea abt the band, but I love opening in Iowa & getting the town wrong.
    You have to apppreciate the foresight it took to bring tomatoes.

4. Runamok

Runamok Synchromatic

Aug 25, 2017
    USA midwest
    Speedicut’s video above:
    btw, this is why you never take the tone film off your pickguard.

& regarding the Tomato Foresight.
    Duh, again: IOWA. They likely bring produce to every concert.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
  5. Chef T

Chef T Electromatic

Dec 12, 2020
    New York
    Did that happen to be in the mid 80’s in the Nassau Coliseum on Long Island? I saw them there and was so excited because they were one of my favorite bands but it was exactly as you described.

6. Chef T

Chef T Electromatic

Dec 12, 2020
    New York

7. Chef T

Chef T Electromatic

Dec 12, 2020
    New York
    That’s a shame. I saw Santana twice. once outdoors in the pouring rain and both times they were amazing concerts. I guess it's nice to know that even master’s can have an off night!!

8. Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser Country Gent

Jan 14, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Well, at least the guitarist knew that you're supposed to put your foot up on the monitor when you shred a hot solo, so at least give them credit for that.

gtttrrr, Runamok and Tony65x55 like this.
  9. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    Ya, it would have been mid eighties but it was in Toronto. It was truly awful.

10. DougieNorrie

DougieNorrie Electromatic

Nov 10, 2020
    Liverpool
    His reputation is that he is a dickhead! lol

Henry and Lefty Adams like this.
  11. DougieNorrie

DougieNorrie Electromatic

Nov 10, 2020
    Liverpool
    David Bowie in Melbourne around 10 years ago. Volume 1. Knew about 4 songs (new album). No drinking allowed. No leaving your seat. Total *****. Kings of Leon were ******* awful, that was at a festival waiting for The Beta Band who more than made up for that shower of talentless cunts.

12. Lefty Adams

Lefty Adams Electromatic

Jul 29, 2020
    UK
    Brian Connolly bless him, doesn't surprise me. It was always the drink.

Ian Jordan likes this.
  13. BohemianLikeMe

BohemianLikeMe Gretschie

Apr 18, 2020
    Prague, CZ
    Strokes and folks, but Sonic Youth were amazing every time I caught them in the late 90s and early 2000s. Definitely one of the better bands from the NYC No Wave 80s live, especially after they got more melodic.

Highroller, MotorCentaur and Henry like this.
  14. Johno99

Johno99 Electromatic

Feb 24, 2017
    Haslemere, UK
    Queen at Wembley stadium. Quite dreadful. Mercury treated the audience with utter contempt and May's guitar playing was inept.
    Support band was INXS. Made Queen look desperately ordinary.

Lefty Adams likes this.
  15. Stewpotb

Stewpotb Electromatic

Apr 26, 2020
    Wolverhampton UK
    I remember going to see a band called The Mac Lads (from Macclesfield, I assumed). It was the first time I saw a band soaked in beer, and the music was atrocious - if music it was.

16. Wozzy138

Wozzy138 Electromatic

Apr 17, 2020
    England
    After 6 months in uniform on The Falkland Islands they thought it would be a good idea to entertain us by sending down.....Bucks Fizz

Theorganmouse likes this.
  17. BohemianLikeMe

BohemianLikeMe Gretschie

Apr 18, 2020
    Prague, CZ
    I think the worst show through no fault of the band I ever saw was the Yeah Yeah Yeahs in the mid-2000s when Karen O came out with some horrible flu, sang "Maps" and then projectile vomited on the first row of people at the Metro in Chicago and left. Thank goodness I was getting a drink at the time. (Come to think of it, if they had refunded the tickets, it would have actually been pretty awesome. But the Metro did not.)

I think one of the most disappointing shows I ever saw was Charlie Daniels at a county fair in PA nigh on 20 years ago. Bad sound. Bad attitude (I mean, I know podunk PA isn't great, but c'mon, it's no worse than anywhere else in rural America). The backing band seemed really out of their depth (which was odd because it's Charlie Daniels, he should have hired a better band), he played like a 6 songs and a 20+ minute version of the "Devil Went Down to Georgia." Just kind of puzzlingly bad, especially in context because that same summer I saw Ray Charles play an amazing set just one county over.

Probably the worst show I had to actually attend though was Jet in the mid-2000s when I was briefly working as an arts and culture journalist. To call them a one hit wonder would be incredibly generous, but their label spent no small amount of money on literally paying people to turn up for their half-a-hit. Punishingly bad, loads of super expensive gear, and they spent most of the show just coked out of their minds being obnoxious. Runner up: Keane. Who were very puzzled that nobody knew about their rivalry with the Darkness in the US and spent most their set time talking smack about a band nobody had ever heard of or cared about at that moment.

MotorCentaur likes this.
  18. EESmith

EESmith Electromatic

Jun 6, 2019
    Plymouth, IN
    Not an opening band, but a supporting band. The Melvins.

19. GoLeafsGo

GoLeafsGo Synchromatic

May 1, 2014
    Ajax Ontario
    Rolling Stones in Philly, would have been late 90's. Should have been decent seats, front row of second level facing stage. Worst. Sound. Ever. Could barely tell what song they were playing. Couple of times you knew there were horns because you could see them playing them, but could not hear them at all. Left early, but stopped in the bathroom first. It actually sounded pretty good in there....

20. HopeB

HopeB Electromatic

Feb 12, 2016
    Atlanta, GA
    Dylan also for me....you’re brave - I was afraid to post that....LOL

new6659 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.