Worst Concert You Ever Saw?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by drmilktruck, Jan 7, 2021.

1. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    What is the worst show you ever saw? It could be because the band was bad, the venue was terrible or other reasons.

The one I remember most was Let’s Active in the mid-80s. They played a small club in Providence. Some other band was playing at the Providence Civic Center that night - I don’t remember who it was - which obviously irked Mitch Easter that he had a very small crowd at his show. He made several comments throughout the show, “Don’t you wish you were seeing [ the other band] instead? “People were shouting for them to play Room with a View, but he said, “We’re not gonna play that one tonight.” I understand that the crowd was smaller than he expected, but it wasn’t our fault. We were there to see them and expected to see a good show.

mrfixitmi likes this.
  2. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    It wasn't the whole concert, but half of it. Van Morrison. He wasn't bad - sounded fine, it just was pretty clear he had somewhere better to be. The band and band leader were great. VM would wonder on and off stage, showing up to sing, then leave. The audience must have been a terrible inconvenience to him.

MotorCentaur likes this.
  3. Lockupyourfatdog

Lockupyourfatdog Synchromatic

Aug 8, 2016
    Everett wa
    My brother’s 4th grade band concert of course

Jena, Drifter, mrfixitmi and 6 others like this.
  4. ramjac

ramjac Synchromatic

Aug 14, 2011
    Wisconsin
    I felt the exact same way about Eric Clapton at the United Center in 1998 - the tour supporting the Pilgrim album. I recall being bored throughout most of it and almost relieved that he kept it short.

MotorCentaur and El Marin like this.
  5. rake_ether

rake_ether Gretschie

Aug 24, 2019
    Athens, GA USA
    Crash Test Dummies in Atlanta. My wife at the time wanted to see them, they were not good however the opening band October Project was much better. Soon afterward I dragged her to see Urge Overkill which just may be the second worst show I've ever seen.

MotorCentaur likes this.
  6. Sabato

Sabato Country Gent

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    Somewhere around 1973 my bro-in-law wanted to come to Boston where I was at BU majoring in marijuana and we went to see "Slade" a horrible bunch of fruitcakes in platform shoes and aluminum foil and we left after ten minutes.

7. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Synchromatic

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    In '74 I was stationed in Memphis and got to see CS&N. Huge venue, expensive tickets, lots of people.
    After a couple of songs they introduced him and Neil Young joined them, fantastic!

But they didn't sound great, like they were just going through the motions.
    There were obvious tensions between them and Neil seemed to enflame them. For example, David's guitar needed tuning after each song and Graham got angry and said into the mic "you know they can't hear the difference anyway!" Many, including me, booed him.
    When they shut the mics off between numbers all 4 looked to be arguing. After a little more than 30 minutes total they just turned and walked off the stage. We waited, hoping they'd return but 15 minutes later the lights went up and that was it.
    I checked into getting some kind of refund but they kept the money.

8. Sabato

Sabato Country Gent

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    Couple of things, a few years ago a guy on the Imus radio show said that usually the fans were more intoxicated than the performer, but not so with Van Morrison.
    That withstanding, my wife and I attended Van in Boston and his voice was sweeter than on recordings, he played the sax and sang and it was magical.

Henry likes this.
  9. scrimmer

scrimmer Electromatic

Apr 6, 2019
    North Carolina
    My first gig. Complete disaster.

10. GVDobler

GVDobler Synchromatic

May 15, 2011
    Las Vegas
    Kevin Eubanks (from Jay leno show) played here. About the worst I've seen. Jazz is just not that much fun unless you are really into it. Kevin never spoke to the audience between songs. Called dead air in the radio business. The horn player was cool. He stood there snapping his fingers for an hour and only played a few times, but looked like he was having fun.

2nd worst was Billy Currington. Small venture and his sound person either was trying to destroy his career or was just an idiot. Everything was so loud his hit songs were not recognizable. People want to hear what they bought and played at home. He had a great start on a career, but I think that tour ruined his appeal. Too bad you can't just go up to someone like that and say "your soundman is a moron."

Last edited: Jan 7, 2021
    mrfixitmi likes this.
  11. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

Bob Dylan - there, I've said it. But, the Foo Fighters opened for him;)

T-Bawler and Bertotti like this.
  12. Andrew Griffin

Andrew Griffin Synchromatic

Oct 22, 2015
    During college I worked with a small crew unloading trucks and setting up stages for different bands around the Sacramento area, so I ended up seeing a lot of bands I probably wouldn't have paid to see or even known about. I was shocked by how bad the sound was at a Jefferson Starship concert, whereas a John Denver concert in the same room had the most amazing sound quality. It wasn't a question of liking one style over another, just an observation that the Starship didn't really seem to care.

MotorCentaur likes this.
  13. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    I’m gonna get some hate for this but it was Robert plant a d the shape shifters here in New Orleans. He was arrogant and ignorant to the locals. Some didn’t get that but also whenever he played a zeppelin song he used African folk instruments. I don’t know about anyone else but when I hear rock and roll by zeppelin sung by Robert plant I want to hear electric guitar or possibly and acoustic guitar but not an African banjo. Also when he played plant songs he did them perfectly. I left feeling ripped off

Maxadur, crossthestyx and new6659 like this.
  14. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Friend of Fred

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    I saw legendary punk rock band Wire from the UK a few years back and they were awful.
    They played long, slow and boring songs at low volumes, and singer was wearing a baseball cap.
    He also had an ipad on his mic stand to read the lyrics.
    It was unfortunate.

15. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Part of it was worst it was on the riverfront in Davenport Iowa late 80's. Warrant Ratt and Great White. Warrant was great Great White was great but Ratt came out told everyone how poopy the town was how we were all inbred rednecks and they didn't want to be there plus more derogatory remarks so we boo'd them off stage. Security had to get them out of there before we beat the crap out of them and tossed them in the Mississippi. Warrant came back out and played again, told us how much they loved playing there. I burned all my Ratt stuff after that and never bought another thing of theirs. Saw Rob Zombie last year he was great but Marlyn mansion was before him and he just stinks. I really can't stand his satanic music. He had some of the crowd chanting some seriously demonic crappy stuff. The sound was good but he is not much of a show and yuck. Ratt never really played anything they started had a sound issue then went off on everyone. So we didn't even get to hear their music. Tp bad really because I actually really liked their music before that.

Teledriver likes this.
  16. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I have liked Dylans' lyrics but he just makes my teeth grind when he sings. Not a fan myself.

Maxadur, MrWookiee and Viking Power like this.
  17. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Having worked many, I've come across some real stinkers.
    REM was literally painful. Even behind the speaker stacks the volume affected you breathing and heartrate. Hank Jr was the same.
    Sting waited an hour and a quarter before he decided to honor the audience with his presence. As our audiences were "trained" that our shows began at 8PM on the dot, at least half had walked out and demanded their money back.
    Eddie Murphy was rude but funny. His opener was a totally forgettable punk band that I'd have walked out on if I weren't being paid.
    POCO opened for The Eagles on their first big tour. Poco had the audience truly fired up. The Eagles were a letdown. Technically excellent, but absolutely no energy. Basically, "Just give us our check and we'll be on our way." Poco got the encore.
    Gary Puckett (one hit wonder) had enough ego for ten headliners.
    Less than a month after Stevie Winwood left to join Traffic, we had a Spencer Davis Group show. An electric 12 string does not replace a screaming Hammond organ, and no one had a voice anything like Winwood's. Audience left in droves.
    One of the worst was Bob Dylan in the early 2000s. The entire group wore odd Stetson style hats, and Dylan never touched a guitar. He played a keyboard at times, while bent at the waist and faced the keys. Totally lifeless show.

18. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Country Gent

May 14, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    Well, I hate to say it, but BB King. I went to Peter Frampton's Guitar Circus at the Greek Theater back in 2013 pretty much just to see him. He played maybe three songs the whole night, and one he let Frampton lead on. He literally just spent the whole night talking. I mean, I love you man, but that's not what I'm here for.
    I'm glad I stayed for the Frampton part of it, that was actually pretty damned good.

MotorCentaur and Maxadur like this.
  19. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

That's what I saw as well. It looked like the band was constantly trying to figure out what song he was playing as he launched into them. It was like a great band backing up a terrible singer on an open mike night. I think he did two verses of "Like a Rolling Stone" before I could tell what song it actually was. Unfortunate after waiting about 40 years to see himo_O

mrfixitmi, Maxadur and wabash slim like this.
  20. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    My worst ever was Aerosmith. Deafeningly loud, no, I mean unbelievably loud. Distorted too. Totally unlistenable. To make matters worse, the band just sucked. Loose as a goose, out of key, out of time and we were out of there. After 6 songs we had to leave. It was that bad. I had a headache for three days.

Taco Cat, CalicoSkies and Maxadur like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.