Worked a bit to find 80s guitarists using Gretsch, life changing for me.

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by TV the Wired Turtle, Sep 4, 2021.

1. Buckyboy

Buckyboy Gretschie

Adam Ant. Story goes that Brian Setzer gifted him that White Falcon with the gold studs around the edge of the headstock but no idea if that story is true.

79C0BF9B-6F19-4625-AFE4-F3F4DFF0C38E.jpeg

2. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Country Gent

I like Dutronc too but don't know the 2 other ones. I mean: I know the names, I have probably been exposed to some of their songs on radio or tv, but I never actually listened to their music.

3. Tele295

Tele295 Country Gent

These may have been nothing more than props, but they are nice props

4FE0F775-A974-4982-95F4-DCDF5DCAB70A.jpeg 9901A274-44C2-4521-93EF-A6D21EF813B6.jpeg

4. mister rain

mister rain Gretschie

Apr 23, 2020
    new orleans

ya better listen to marco

5. Ando

Ando Synchromatic

Aug 7, 2013
    Seoul
    A bit of fudging with dates for the sake of posting some glorious Gretschen.

Andy Bell on some early Ride

1980s debut with an Anniversary featured in their (early 1990s) 2nd album.

David Schelzel (The Ocean Blue)

And the glorious sound of double-tracked bridge HiLoTron's Anniversary w/modulated reverb

Likewise, another 1980s debut with an early 1990s appearance

Miki Berenyi (Lush) with a 1962 G6129T-1962 DC

Both the Jet and Emma's Jag being not found in live clips hints at they being very much just MV props.

6. Waxhead

Waxhead Friend of Fred

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Heys guys ... can we post real guitarists with real Gretsch and ditch the George Michaels, A Ants and ladies with props :D

Speaking of which here's more 80's Midnight Oil with a Jet into Vox AC30 doing more powerhouse rock. Oh and watch their drummer o_O

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

7. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    Here ya go @Waxhead ... Multiple decades as a Gretsch slinger. Canada's contribution to the discussion.

0006_neil-Liverpool_N3A8623.jpg

8. Waxhead

Waxhead Friend of Fred

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    And a HUGE one too - love Neil :D

mrfixitmi, pmac11 and db62 like this.
  9. j.s.c

j.s.c Country Gent

Aug 19, 2008
    france
    Yeah the others are all almost "poseurs" idiots... ;-p
    I have to confess Neil Young is the worst poseur of rock history but of course I like him a lot.

like that band of mickey mouses : 1989

or these bad dogs d'amour :
    [​IMG]

Poseurs for teenage girls... like the picture of this guy, but it's a '80 pix (and here it's '90 only right?) so I couldn't post here the Wham guy picture with a 6120. But if it gets nasty then I could use it.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2021
  10. Highroller

Highroller Country Gent

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Emma usually played either a Tele or a Strat, and Miki used a 12 string 335-ish Gibson. In fact, that Gibson was pretty central to the band's whole sound! It wouldn't sound like Lush with her on anything else!

I always liked them, but they were never a glamour band, which is the treatment they're getting in that video. I wonder who talked 'em into that one - it's actually sort of disturbing! LoL!

Henry, mister rain and mbkri like this.
  11. mr coffee

mr coffee Country Gent

Oct 7, 2009
    Houston
  12. Highroller

Highroller Country Gent

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
  13. mister rain

mister rain Gretschie

Apr 23, 2020
    new orleans
    miki played an epi riviera 12 string most of her time with lush. think emma played a 70s tele deluxe? might have been a 70s thinline - regardless, it was a natural finish with 2 wrhb’s.

they were great the one time i saw them.

Ando, mbkri and Highroller like this.
  14. mister rain

mister rain Gretschie

Apr 23, 2020
    new orleans
    anyone that thinks robert smith isn’t a technically skilled guitarist hasn’t listened to him actually, you know, play.

15. j.s.c

j.s.c Country Gent

Aug 19, 2008
    france
    I was joking...
    Btw i have to confress i never thought shredders made good guitarists as musicians but just players with good technicial skills

16. Highroller

Highroller Country Gent

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Was it an Epiphone? Could have been - you're probably right. Close to a Gibson! Could have sworn I saw a Gibson logo in some of the old vids, but you know how that goes ... There's a vid of a "reunion" gig they did circa 2016 where she's definitely playing a Gibson. Maybe the Epi was long gone by then.

You're very lucky to have seen them - glad to hear it was a good show.

Miki.jpg

One thing's for certain - it sure wasn't a Gretsch!

mister rain, Ando and drmilktruck like this.
  17. JC higgy

JC higgy Gretschified

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Although i identify him with a Rick 12 ,Ian McNabb from Icicle Works played a few Gretsches back in the day,a mid 60s 6120 was the main one,but he had a Baldwin double cut Falcon too ,among others.

18. heinzman

heinzman Synchromatic

No videos existing, but here starts my: I want a Gretsch Thing! ;-)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.