Woodwind Trio Anecdote

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by MrWookiee, Jun 20, 2021.

1. MrWookiee

MrWookiee Synchromatic

Jun 17, 2020
    SoCal, USA
    Last Tuesday I met with my trio again. We are there as equals but the brains (and more than 1/3 of the talent) come from the lady who directs us in our local college band. Anywho... she broke out a new concerto by "P.D.Q. Bach" for us to sight read, with me reading the cello part on bassoon. After I apologized for muffing it in a few places she said, "No, you're doing great, but your double-stops leave a lot to be desired."

[Of course I later tried singing the lower note through the horn while playing the upper. It sounded hideous!]

drmilktruck and hcsterg like this.
  2. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I love woodwinds, and especially the double-reed family. I have thought about renting an oboe or english horn and giving it a try.

Now, how about this; a band with a contrabass trombone instead of a bass player?

drmilktruck and MrWookiee like this.
  3. MrWookiee

MrWookiee Synchromatic

Jun 17, 2020
    SoCal, USA
    If you try oboe, expect to spend the first 2-3 weeks just trying to blow a tone through the reed. That might save you a few bucks on a couple of weeks' rental fees. No, I'm not kidding!
    Bass 'bone insead of a bass guitar... cool idea! Depending on genre you would need someone as good as Tom Malone, and Iron Maiden covers would be right out. The relatively recent spate of cellists playing metal on utoob are pretty awesome tho!

drmilktruck likes this.
  4. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Tuba! Good polka bands all have 'em.
    John Entwhistle played French horn.

Jeff67 and MrWookiee like this.
  5. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
  6. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I might try that. Basically, you’re saying that I should just buy a reed and GP from that point? I may well try that, and if it works out, I’ll try renting an oboe, month to month. I’m open to any and all constructive advice.

I’m not at all into Metal, so that’s not a worry. I like Classic Rock, Classic Country and Western Swing, but I like Jazz even more. I’ve always wanted to try bands with unusual instrumentation, such as a Jazz quartet with bass, guitar, drums and french horn, or cello, as the fourth instrument.

I’ve always admired the “chamber jazz” concept, which might include a cello into a jazz group. There have been other jazz groups that have tried unusual instrumentation, with varying degrees of success.

Contrabass trombone, I would think, would add an interesting punch to rock n’ roll. It wouldn’t support a heavy beat, but it would be an interesting bottom end.

I wanted to play English Horn, when I was in school, but couldn’t even find one to rent. I don’t know why, but I love those things.

drmilktruck and MrWookiee like this.
  7. MrWookiee

MrWookiee Synchromatic

Jun 17, 2020
    SoCal, USA
    Yup, start with just the reed if you go oboe. It sounds dumb but those reeds are tiny! English horn reeds are larger so you could probably get away with the horn rental right out of the gate. Ymmv.

I like the way you're thinking as regards alternate instrumentation. Now I'm hearing Cake songs in my head, with the trumpet voice replaced by an oboe...

If you've always wanted to try a double reed, go for it!!! I kinda sorta thought about maybe learning guitar for 40-something years before getting my first one about a year ago (I'm 59). So much practice time lost!

Btw I saw an interview with Joe Walsh in which he said he started out as a kid on clarinet (as did I) but he didn't like that he couldn't play and sing at the same time so he switched to guitar. My own thinking as a horn player has always been that it's cool when you go to the beach or are camping, and someone whips out a guitar or uke, but if someone were to do the same with a horn the reaction would be wth??!! Unfortunately, I tend to procrastinate until the GAS takes hold.

drmilktruck likes this.
  8. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Horns, of all sorts, are wonderful instruments, but they are monophonic, and therefore not well suited to playing chords. :) Even if they could, it’s darned tricky to sing and play a horn at the same time.

MrWookiee likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.