Will I regret selling my "lmtd ed" Gretsch Setzer Smoke?

Echocat23

Gretschie
Jan 4, 2018
Kansas City
I appreciate your situation. I do. Don't sell that guitar. Get it out if the case. Play it until it's normal and regular. I only played my 2000 ssugr(tone-post)for 16yrs. In 2018 I got a 2018 hotrod. And it was great. But it was still alien and not my 2000. Decided to keep the ssugr in its case and only play the 2018. A year later I was better guitar player. Not just for practicing, for playing something else. it is a flawless guitar. I then got a 2019 hotrod(slimmer body, somewhat compound radius and rolled fingerboard) that guitar felt too weird. Decided to keep the 2018 in its case. Got the 2019 setup in c standard tuning and it may be the most rock n roll guitar I've ever heard. It made me a better player, much better. It is a flawless guitar. Do what you need to do, man. the smoke guitar is special. I doubt I'll ever even get to touch one. Keep it. Make friends with it. Hahaha. Thanks for all your work. My billy brain is an always on.

Bertotti

Friend of Fred
Jul 20, 2017
South Dakota
I love it so very much and you've seen my long winded video review about it... but I could get $3500 for it and pay off some bills. It sits in its case, as I tend to only play my 99' SSU and Tiger Jet. I'm wondering if it will ever appreciate
down the line? My 99' SSU is prob worth $800 more than I paid for it in 00' but it was a weirdo to begin with. This Setzer Smoke is a gem that gets a player closest to an actual custom shop build for much much less. I dunno.. I'd really
like to carve a big hole in my $550 car payment that I still have 3yrs on, and I want that gone since I have no other debts. Seems sad to leave such a nice instrument in a case doing nothing.
ps. its only a lmt ed because it seems they are not producing anymore and you cant find many for sale as its the best hand made quality pro line gretsch theyve ever put out it seems
I don’t baby instruments. I would sell the other two and play that one more!

Feynman

Gretschie
Dec 16, 2011
AZ
Like most of us who share this disease, I've been through too many guitars. Several were rare, and a few were one of a kind. A couple of them were "The One," the be-all-end-all GAS killers.

Some were sold out of financial need and others simply to fund the next one.

I was certain on a few of them that I'd regret it, and then...I didn't. It turns out I get over them pretty quickly, and the world has a lot of cool guitars available at all times.

I recently had an opportunity to buy one back that I wanted, and I took it. I'm happy it's back with me, but if it hadn't worked out I'd still be fine.

It's just a guitar. :)

Robbie

Friend of Fred
Jun 17, 2013
Sarnia Ontario Canada
With all due respect it sounds as if you already know what to do. At the end of the day it’s a guitar, sell it and unload your debt. “Debt free” is a far better feeling than having a really nice guitar that doesn’t get played. Besides, sounds like the ‘99 is your main squeeze anyhow.

LesB3

Gretschie
Aug 17, 2021
Philadelphia, PA
Maybe everyone in the gretsch community can do a Nocturne brain rally and all order a mass amount of pedals and amps so Tavo can keep the 'smoke'

I was going to suggest the same. I have an Atomic Brain already, and just got a Fluid Drive (which I absolutely love). I was going to buy the Ubangi next (so I can kick my Rat2 off the board next) but out of stock. I'm interested in that one, as WELL as the Nailhead (which is in stock) so there might be something to that.

I always look at this this way. Things that can be sold for MORE than what you paid for them and that appreciate are ASSETS. You should NEVER sell those (unless you are on the verge of being homeless). Things that end up costing you money or that depreciate should be the things you get rid of first.

How many pedals would we need to buy in order to convince you to keep the Smoke? 20?
I'll buy two (next paycheck!) so you are already 10% there!

Bertotti

Friend of Fred
Jul 20, 2017
South Dakota
I was going to suggest the same. I have an Atomic Brain already, and just got a Fluid Drive (which I absolutely love). I was going to buy the Ubangi next (so I can kick my Rat2 off the board next) but out of stock. I'm interested in that one, as WELL as the Nailhead (which is in stock) so there might be something to that.

I always look at this this way. Things that can be sold for MORE than what you paid for them and that appreciate are ASSETS. You should NEVER sell those (unless you are on the verge of being homeless). Things that end up costing you money or that depreciate should be the things you get rid of first.

How many pedals would we need to buy in order to convince you to keep the Smoke? 20?
I'll buy two (next paycheck!) so you are already 10% there!
I think the Ubangi, now Marquesan? is everything a rat should have been but that's just me, and the Nailhead is fantastic.

wildeman

I Bleed Orange
May 10, 2015
norcal
I'm of the opinion that that particular model Chet will appreciate, and I think it will very fast, as soon as it's not made anymore. You will be bummed if you sell it.

Craig Encinitas

Gretschie
May 3, 2021
Encinitas, Ca
Okay, break out the calculator and a reality check.*

-make your own coffee
-learn to cook
-don’t drink
-get a side hustle

Versus a one time collection of $3,500.

The first three will net you more money in your pocket because they’re a consistent amount of your expenditures. And you get to keep your guitar.

For me, sobering up has straightened out some of my sanity and saved me thousands of dollars a year that…well, let’s face it…I’ve now spent on guitars. 😂

My side gig is auto detailing. Although pending water restrictions in San Diego has me rethinking my washing methods.

What about giving music lessons?

* this was my experience. Maybe you’ve already cut back on things you don’t really need, or can do yourself.

Last edited:

afire

Friend of Fred
Feb 12, 2009
Where the action is!
I appreciate your situation. I do. Don't sell that guitar. Get it out if the case. Play it until it's normal and regular. I only played my 2000 ssugr(tone-post)for 16yrs. In 2018 I got a 2018 hotrod. And it was great. But it was still alien and not my 2000. Decided to keep the ssugr in its case and only play the 2018. A year later I was better guitar player. Not just for practicing, for playing something else. it is a flawless guitar. I then got a 2019 hotrod(slimmer body, somewhat compound radius and rolled fingerboard) that guitar felt too weird. Decided to keep the 2018 in its case. Got the 2019 setup in c standard tuning and it may be the most rock n roll guitar I've ever heard. It made me a better player, much better. It is a flawless guitar. Do what you need to do, man. the smoke guitar is special. I doubt I'll ever even get to touch one. Keep it. Make friends with it. Hahaha. Thanks for all your work. My billy brain is an always on.
That's an interesting approach. If you know that the Smoke is probably the better guitar, but just not as familiar, make it more familiar.

knavel

Country Gent
Dec 26, 2009
London, England
I see used around$3k on reverb so if you can get$3.5k then that favors selling. However, you will lose a chunk of profit again in sales tax unless you manage to score one on Facebook Market/Groups or a forum like this.

TV the Wired Turtle

Gretschified
Jul 25, 2009
Sandy Eggo
Okay, break out the calculator and a reality check.*

-make your own coffee
-learn to cook
-don’t drink
-get a side hustle

Versus a one time collection of $3,500.

The first three will net you more money in your pocket because they’re a consistent amount of your expenditures. And you get to keep your guitar.

For me, sobering up has straightened out some of my sanity and saved me thousands of dollars a year that…well, let’s face it…I’ve now spent on guitars. 😂

My side gig is auto detailing. Although pending water restrictions in San Diego has me rethinking my washing methods.

What about giving music lessons?

* this was my experience. Maybe you’ve already cut back on things you don’t really need, or can do yourself.

good blokes for trying to help, the lot of youzz ! :) :)

turns out yes, I will be selling it..

Last edited:

Bertotti

Friend of Fred
Jul 20, 2017
South Dakota

turns out yes, I will be selling it.. but for a new reason.
yesterday I got a text message from a stranger on my sons cell number that my 19yr son was found laying in front of their beach house w the car doors open and the engine running. He had collapsed after surfing 4 hrs and was found in a fetal position trying to stay conscious and so they put him in the car and drove him up the hill to the Scripps La Jolla urgent care.
He was given a cat scan, full blood and urine panel. Nothing really wrong except higher white blood cell count, dehydration and abdominal tenderness (he said he was in the worst pain in his life cramping and couldnt even dial on the cell phone).
After all day there, they pulled his IV out and released him, and I brought him home w paper work
to see a G.I.

Today after getting up slow and having some watermelon and toast for breakfast, he said he just didnt feel right. By noon he had a head ache and labored breathing w tingling in
his extremities. So I got him in the car and starting driving to the urgent care, but he was starting to get dry heaves and wanted to pass out.
I pulled up to the ER and grabbed a wheel chair to race him inside. They quickly got him in triage as they yelled to a nurse that he was passing out. But then he started talking again
and the nurse said all his vitals test fine, also said the tingling was from hyperventilation... Dr. ordered another EKG and blood panel, chest xray, mono test and heart enzyme test. (he had been backpacking at almost 13,000 somewhere in little lakes above mammoth the week before doing about 30 miles..kid is fit as heck)
Had all those and they said he's healthy plus his white blood cell count was back to normal.

We're back at home at now and he's in bed resting. Guess we keep praying and hope there is not a 3rd ER visit, and we get to his Integrative Gastroenterologist friday morning.
Most of all the expense will be out of pocket, so there will of NOW of course be a sale of a lot of guitar gear.
Life is a roller coaster, Im just glad my family is all together in the house tonight. Nothing else matters. I thank God for the angels that found him and took him to the ER.
So more testing will ensue to figure out whats going on w a teenager in top physical shape, organic only diet, and hasnt been to a hospital since he was 3 yrs old. The doctors
at Scripps medical sure couldnt figure it out and they were thorough.

ps. I had to write this all down, get it out, so I can calm down and go to bed. Im gonna erase this post in a few days, hope thats ok.
My apologies for the drama, I try to keep it at a dull roar unless I'm being a smart ass here and stirring the pot about the beatles. thanks for listening and thanks again for all the input on this
guitar sale, means a lot, every response.
God Bless you guys Tavo! We’ll pray for you!‘re family! Keep you head up !

audept

Senior Gretsch-Talker
Dec 1, 2010
Sydney, Australia

turns out yes, I will be selling it.. but for a new reason.
yesterday I got a text message from a stranger on my sons cell number that my 19yr son was found laying in front of their beach house w the car doors open and the engine running. He had collapsed after surfing 4 hrs and was found in a fetal position trying to stay conscious and so they put him in the car and drove him up the hill to the Scripps La Jolla urgent care.
He was given a cat scan, full blood and urine panel. Nothing really wrong except higher white blood cell count, dehydration and abdominal tenderness (he said he was in the worst pain in his life cramping and couldnt even dial on the cell phone).
After all day there, they pulled his IV out and released him, and I brought him home w paper work
to see a G.I.

Today after getting up slow and having some watermelon and toast for breakfast, he said he just didnt feel right. By noon he had a head ache and labored breathing w tingling in
his extremities. So I got him in the car and starting driving to the urgent care, but he was starting to get dry heaves and wanted to pass out.
I pulled up to the ER and grabbed a wheel chair to race him inside. They quickly got him in triage as they yelled to a nurse that he was passing out. But then he started talking again
and the nurse said all his vitals test fine, also said the tingling was from hyperventilation... Dr. ordered another EKG and blood panel, chest xray, mono test and heart enzyme test. (he had been backpacking at almost 13,000 somewhere in little lakes above mammoth the week before doing about 30 miles..kid is fit as heck)
Had all those and they said he's healthy plus his white blood cell count was back to normal.

We're back at home at now and he's in bed resting. Guess we keep praying and hope there is not a 3rd ER visit, and we get to his Integrative Gastroenterologist friday morning.
Most of all the expense will be out of pocket, so there will of NOW of course be a sale of a lot of guitar gear.
Life is a roller coaster, Im just glad my family is all together in the house tonight. Nothing else matters. I thank God for the angels that found him and took him to the ER.
So more testing will ensue to figure out whats going on w a teenager in top physical shape, organic only diet, and hasnt been to a hospital since he was 3 yrs old. The doctors
at Scripps medical sure couldnt figure it out and they were thorough.

ps. I had to write this all down, get it out, so I can calm down and go to bed. Im gonna erase this post in a few days, hope thats ok.
My apologies for the drama, I try to keep it at a dull roar unless I'm being a smart ass here and stirring the pot about the beatles. thanks for listening and thanks again for all the input on this
guitar sale, means a lot, every response.
Sorry to hear this, Tavo. I hope they find the source of the symptoms and it all works out well for your son. I'm sending all the best vibes I can, I hope they make it halfway round the planet!

loudnlousy

Gretschified
Oct 18, 2015
Germany
I can hear you, Tavo.
Been there many times.
It is far easier to sell something without being desperately in need of money.
You never know then your dentist will ask you for an advance of USD 2.000 for your wife`s new teeth (that happened to me today.)