Why The Byrds' Roger McGuinn is one of rock's greatest guitar heroes

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by ZackyDog, Aug 10, 2020.

1. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
  2. Jeff67

Jeff67 Country Gent

Nov 3, 2019
    Crockett, Texas
    That's what I was thinking, but I'd never seen him with his hair like that, so wasn't 100% sure.

3. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    He was definitely influential. I’ve long been fascinated by Folk Rock and Country Rock, and especially the somewhat sporadic comings and goings of Gram Parsons. But McGuinn really did a lot to move the whole scene forward.

Nonetheless, I think that it’s easy to forget the influence George Harrison had, with his Ric 12. I watched a video of the Shea Stadium concert earlier today. IMO, he started the ball rolling.

If it were any color but blue, I’d have sent the money already. But as you well know, my acute azurplectrophobia prevents me from even being in the same room with any plectrum instrument with a blue finish. :)

Just kidding. I need another guitar like I need a hole in the head. Besides that, I just had my truck painted and that’s not a cheap proposition.

drmilktruck likes this.
  4. NervousJohn

NervousJohn Electromatic

May 8, 2017
    U.K.
    It’s a 370-12 (a three pickup 360) with an onboard compressor. Which despite all the hype is a Ross/Dynacomp with one of the capacitors removed.

C5 in the diagram in this page.

https://www.electrosmash.com/mxr-dyna-comp-analysis

I also suspect that a Janglebox applies a switch to this capacitor. Which is an expensive switch....

5. salvatore

salvatore Gretschie

Nov 29, 2017
    Durham, NC
    McGuinn’s solo in “Eight Miles High” was, according to him, influenced by John Coltrane. It struck me back then as a starkly original , evocative , and melodic solo.

As an aside, Crosby’s chunk-a-chunk rhythmic playing at the end of the verses in “Eight Miles High” was provocative and exciting.

McGuinn’s introductions and fills to a few of the Dylan songs he played were influenced from him listening to Bach/ Beethoven, according to an interview he gave that is referenced in Requiem for the Timeless.

He could sing a well as any front man. His playing was solid and organic, though he tended to play single line melodies within the “Coltrane” box almost exclusively.

With Gene Clark’s first-class songwriting , Crosby’s harmonies, and Hillman’s creative bass lines, McGuinn was blessed with top- notch band mates. For two years, The Byrds were international superstars.

He was more of a orchestrator, singer, lead guitar player, and arranger than he was a guitar hero, in the mold of a Jimmy Page, Duane Allman, Jimi Hendrix, or Eric Clapton.
    Their music was more guitar based and focused than The Byrds music.

The Byrds music was raga, folk- rock, country- rock, and psychedelic music that featured harmonies, lyrical melodies, and multi- dimensional soundscapes. Their music was generated around guitars, without the guitar “ hero” element of premiere guitar playing and technique front and center.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.