Why no jack innovation?

Discussion in 'Technical Side of Things' started by Bertotti, Jul 17, 2020.

1. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Thinking today I wonder why one of these big makers haven’t embrace magnetic breakaway connectors to finally replace these 1/4” jacks.

Back in Black and thunder58 like this.
  2. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Seems like a no brainer. Are there technical issues?

3. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Could it be patented?

4. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Gretschie

Nov 18, 2019
    Beaverton, OR, USA
    I'm all for innovation, but what do you see wrong with 1/4" jacks? I'm not sure there have been significant problems with them to demand changing to something else.

5. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Ain't broke; don't fix it.

Berington, bhatta, mrfixitmi and 8 others like this.
  6. sgarnett

sgarnett Gretschie

Apr 14, 2020
    Kentucky
    I think the bigger question is why so few embrace jack plates.

7. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Why? That’s more complicated than it needs to be.

Berington and Merc like this.
  8. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    When did that ever stop anything.

Clearly there is no money to be made from it at this point. As soon as that changes it will happen.

Ya, I’m a touch cynical today

AAC32D2A-8A7A-4D23-821C-9E0F97EFBB77.jpeg

9. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    I just realized you meant a magnetic breakaway jack. I thought you meant the magnetic cable that breaks away from the 1/4” jack insert. The magnetic jack would likely drop sales of the guitars. I’m not buying a guitar that requires a specific non industry standard cable to use.

Berington likes this.
  10. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    I think we have our answer! :D

Actually I think wireless is the more likely successor to the standard cable. I'm surprised that hasn't caught on more. Built in bluetooth or other wireless technology.

mrfixitmi, Bertotti and Merc like this.
  11. Hammerhands

Hammerhands Country Gent

Aug 26, 2011
    Winnipeg
    I was just thinking about sockets last night, like Switchcraft 11 or 112BX, why are there no compact sockets, just slightly wider than a 1/4” jack and no longer?

Some basses use XLR cables, which I thought was a perfect idea, until it was pointed out to me that it would destroy a guitar if it was stepped on. I think some have Neutrik sockets.

1/4” jack is more than 100 years old. It's not like those engineers 100 years ago were stupid. I think the Switchcraft 11 is designed so it grounds the input until the ground is connected.

You could make a magnetic converter for 1/4 cables.

Everything will be wireless, like cars with no ignition key. There are a few guitars with blutooth.

Some of those basses have XLR and 1/4, and such dual XLR-1/4” sockets exist, so you could make a 1/4”-magnetic combo socket.

Then you could make a magnetic converter for 1/4 jacks.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2020
  12. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Country Gent

Doesn't wireless mean latency?

bhatta, j.s.c and BorderRadio like this.
  13. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Gretschie

Nov 18, 2019
    Beaverton, OR, USA
    I don't think he meant a wireless connection. I think he's talking about a plug that attaches magnetically. I'm picturing something like the magnetic power plugs that Apple has used for their MacBooks (I'm not sure if Apple is still using these):
    [​IMG]

j.s.c likes this.
  14. dr. love

dr. love Gretschie

Jun 2, 2008
    Texas
    Because even though most of us are always chasing the new shiny thing, it's also usually just a new recreation of old technology. For some reason, most musicians have an “old=better” mentality.

Berington likes this.
  15. HypotenusLuvTriangle

HypotenusLuvTriangle Country Gent

Oct 27, 2010
    Whittier, Ca
    yes, but latency, even on the cheaper $60 range wireless connectors, is still in milliseconds and imperceptible. I’ve ditched my guitar and bass cables for wireless transmitters. Ain’t ever going back.
    Bluetooth does actually have a latency issue and requires an environment for waves to bounce off of. That’s why walking outside and doing yard work wreaks havoc on listening to your Bluetooth headphones. Also discovered that the microwave at work messes with the signal when I turn it on.

JeffreyLeePierre likes this.
  16. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Could be a magnetic connection is not really suitable for critical audio signal.
    A Power connection like on Apples is fine.

A good innovation might be a locking Neutrik but guitarplayers are so conservative, no one wants to see one on a guitar.

Tadhg likes this.
  17. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    If electric guitars had been invented in Europe, it could have been a DIN plug! :eek: Just sayin, be careful what you wish for! :D

JeffreyLeePierre likes this.
  18. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    A mini DIN wouldn’t be so bad. Lots of interesting wiring options, but that’s exactly the problem. Between 20 manufacturers we’d probably have 20 different wiring codes. :rolleyes:

audept likes this.
  19. Floo

Floo Country Gent

Dec 16, 2012
    Elmshorn, Germany
    Some Framus guitars had 3-pin DIN jacks, indeed! Some Dynacord devices also - Iused to own a Dynacord Echocord mini with DIN-connectors, I bet the cables I soldered for this are still somewhere in my box with odd plugs and cables.

j.s.c likes this.
  20. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    In the '60s I had a Klemt Echolette tape echo machine. The inputs and outputs were DIN connectors.

j.s.c and Floo like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.