Why Doesn't Gretsch Have This?

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by drmilktruck, Sep 21, 2020.

1. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    I was looking for some Guild parts and came across the Guild Store. They sell all their parts for current models plus gig bags and cases on their website. Many are the same as parts for older models. The prices are good too, Dynas $90.

https://shop.guildguitars.com/?v=7516fd43adaa

I know you can buy Gretsch parts through various retailers but it would be a lot easier to just go to the Gretsch site.

Gregor, CaliforniaSlim and audept like this.
  2. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    I agree, this has been a area needing improvement from Gretsch.

Les Pedals likes this.
  3. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Friend of Fred

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    I checked into the "Dynas". There's good news and bad news. First, I was suspicious of them being true, traditional Dynasonic design, because the polepieces look like polepieces, not actual magnets.

The bad news is that they are not true Dynasonics, which are made in Japan by Tokiwa for Gretsch these days.
    The somewhat good news is that they are not the P90-ish "2K's" either.
    The better news is that they are DeArmond 2000's, like what came in the Gretsch 512x series from 2004 to 2007.
    The downside is that they are not made in USA anymore, but are made by BHK, a Korean manufacturer of OEM pickups, including some Gretsch and Fender pickups. Even though they are made overseas now, the other good thing is that the much lauded "new" DeArmond 2000 is available again.

Top picture-- USA made Dearmond 2000
    Bottom picture-- Guild new "Dynasonic"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
  4. Chmason85

Chmason85 Gretschie

May 1, 2018
    Philadelphia
    Yeah Gretsch should totally have a section of their site with all of these things. Would it be blasphemy to put the guild tailpiece on my jet?

5. tartanphantom

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Forget about that--- just get out the router and install a full blown Floyd Rose setup. :eek::D

Chmason85 and drmilktruck like this.
  6. drmilktruck

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    At least it’s the same letter!

thunder58, capnhiho and Chmason85 like this.
  7. Chmason85

Chmason85 Gretschie

May 1, 2018
    Philadelphia
    Lol that’s what I was thinking!

capnhiho likes this.
  8. Chmason85

Chmason85 Gretschie

May 1, 2018
    Philadelphia
    Hahah I wonder if the custom shop would do a players edition style jet with a Floyd? ‍♂️‍♂️

9. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    What would Gretsch gain by starting that kind of distribution system? Gretsch has so many constantly changing models it would be quite an undertaking.

I admit it would be nice but most of the time I’m looking for aftermarket upgraded parts for my guitars.

10. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
  11. tartanphantom

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    post deleted-- wrong thread.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
    thunder58 and MTurner like this.
  12. Back in Black

Back in Black Gretschie

Jun 22, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    DMT,

I can give you direction to lots of inexpensive parts, if inexpensive is all you're looking for.

Gretsch, Gibson, Fender, Rickenbacker and the list goes on, especially Fender, there are knock-offs for the knock-offs.

But...beware cheap, not always, but in most cases, cheap, means offshore knock-offs, and for your cheap, ''sometimes'', it's buyer beware, and you get what you pay for.

Cheap is full of sacrifices, and personally, I choose not to go there, because, after all is said and done, after shipping costs, after performance disappointment, followed by doing what you should have done in the first place, any perceived saving, has been gobbled up a long time ago.

Best,

BIB.

Rmccamey and thunder58 like this.
  13. drmilktruck

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    I wasn’t looking for cheap, I’m just saying that Guild makes finding replacement parts for their guitars very easy with everything in one place labeled with the models they fit. I I t would be convenient and helpful if Hretsch did the same.

Back in Black and sgarnett like this.
  14. mrcoffee23

mrcoffee23 Gretschie

Sep 23, 2009
    Virginia, USA
    I think all guitar companies should have that kind of parts store, it sure would be helpful. For Gretsch, Adorama has a random but well-priced selection of parts.

drmilktruck likes this.
  15. HypotenusLuvTriangle

HypotenusLuvTriangle Country Gent

Oct 27, 2010
    Whittier, Ca
  16. Stefan87

Stefan87 Synchromatic

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    I personally would love to buy one of the custom shop armrests for my penguin, you know the one that actually fits the guitar properly and looks in proportion to the body.

Don't think I'd be able to buy one of those aftermarket, but if anyone knows if they are available let me know.

drmilktruck likes this.
  17. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Have you tried Reverend Guitars for an armrest ?

Screen Shot 2020-09-22 at 6.24.17 PM.png

Back in Black and Stefan87 like this.
  18. Stefan87

Stefan87 Synchromatic

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    No I have not, that looks very nice, a lot classier then the current ones, from the picture the size looks like it might suit the jet body better.

Hmmm, wonder if they come in gold, could probably get it plated, for $29.00 it may be worth a try, just don't like the two 'tags' where the screw go in but again could possibly modify it.

Thanks for that.

thunder58 likes this.
  19. Back in Black

Back in Black Gretschie

Jun 22, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    H,

First time I've seen that contraption.

My EVH Frankenstein has a surface mounted Floyd without that ''unsightly, my opinion, bracket and locking nut''.

Best,

BIB.

2012_0923EVHFrankenstein0014.JPG 2012_0923EVHFrankenstein0011.JPG 2012_0923EVHFrankenstein0009.JPG

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.