Why did you get a Streamliner?

MrWookiee

Country Gent
Jun 17, 2020
SoCal, USA
Bought my first guitar, a Georgia Green G2627T, with the same deal @Dana Rudd got after watching the SDOTD daily for months. I didn't know what I wanted, other than "inexpensive but not too cheesy" (inexpensive horns being notoriously awful). When I saw the name Gretsch and $419 I made it work, having had no idea how much of a rabbit hole (money pit?) the GAS caused by owning an electric would become. The G2627T does sound pretty good acoustically, especially without the pickguard. I'll update with a current pic later.

Mark W

Country Gent
Jun 6, 2008
Central Florida
Having owned Electromatics and Pro Series I found the neck on my G2410TG to have just enough more depth resulting in increased playing comfort . Plus I liked the natural/amber and the slightly thinner body depth.

giffenf

Country Gent
Oct 26, 2008
Los Angeles
I bought my 2655T because it was a comfy little semi-hollow and I loved the gold dust color. All the ones I’d seen for sale were more than I wanted to pay for a guitar I didn’t reallly need, so I told myself “If one comes on the market for under $400, I’ll bite.” And within a week, one did. I swapped the pickups out for some Guitarfetish Surf 90s, but decided the stock ones sounded better. I let the guitar go because I hardly ever played it once I got it, but it wasn’t the guitar’s fault.

Now I’m thinking a gold dust 2420T would be fun to have, but not what I need to be spending money on right now. Maybe if one comes up for sale for less than $400….

David_GS

Electromatic
Oct 16, 2020
Toronto
I was in the market for a new guitar. I'd always loved Gretsch and I was debating between the 2420T, the 5420T and a Rat Rod. I l loved the finish - Midnight Wine Satin. Based on the price difference, I bought a Spark Amp, a case, a strap and a footstool. I love the guitar and after I joined this forum I got the modding bug, I've upgraded the pickguard, truss rod cover, switch selector ring, and knobs and I'm dropping it off at a luthier to swap out the Bigsby for a V-cut model I found, put in a jack plate and replace the nut. I recently picked up a 5034 TFT as well. 1A6E3CA5-40FA-44D4-8142-7AA5EFED7D6B.jpeg

101dam

Electromatic
Mar 21, 2010
I was looking for either a natural or burst single cut hollowbody, mid 50s with block or humpblock inlays. I had a spruce top 58 Single Anniversary stolen 30yrs ago, and a sunburst Gibson ES 175 I sold when I didn’t need to. I always wanted to replace either, I was prepared to pay a lot more, but was difficult to find anything. Got the 2420 Brooklyn burst with blocks, I was pretty happy with that. Then out came the natural with humpblocks so happily bought one. Added knobs, pickguard, switch and Bigsby to come up with something I’m 100% happy with. Pretty lucky to get exactly what I was after, would’ve loved the bigger bound f holes but I can deal with that.
Had enough dollars left over to get 2 Squier Telecasters and a fishing kayak. 5 years later I’m happy with all of them. Indonesia is making some great guitars.
View attachment 184412
I first got my taste of what a guitar was when I was invited to strum on a Chet Atkins Country Gentleman after I had been playing for about 6 months in 1976 on a Univox hollowbody. I was blown away instantly. My Streamliner started out as a BST 1000 I bought in 1979, and was stolen in 1990. I was discussing the Gretsch /Baldwin buyout with another musician and he said he hadn't heard of it. We got to talking and he told me about a somewhat botched restoration his father was doing to a stock 1968 Streamliner. I looked over the guitar and stored it at my house to try to work it when I got time. Over the years I lost contact with him, but I still had the guitar. I found another Beast like mine on Ebay in 2001, and I've had it for 21 years now. I was looking over Ebay and found a 2017 Center Block jr husk, and thought I'd give the new Gretsch a shot. I'm glad I did, It reminds of that old 6122. These new Gretsch guitars are keepers.

Attachments

• 3 of a kind.jpg
    3 of a kind.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 10
  • C Gentleman1964.jpg
    C Gentleman1964.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 8

Stingray70

Electromatic
Oct 18, 2021
Michigan
I bought my first Streamliner, a Brooklyn Burst 2420, because it was a cool looking guitar that was inexpensive, fun to play and different from all of the other guitars that I had at the time.

I bought my second Streamliner, a Forge Glow 2622 because I was looking for an inexpensive, thinline, 335 style guitar that wasn't made in China. I had my eye on the 2622 for a while, I really liked the style of them but wasn't too excited about most of the colors they currently came in. When I saw the new Forge Glow option I pulled the trigger right away. It played great straight out of the box from Sweetwater, no buzzes or rattles at all. I haven't adjusted or replaced a thing and don't feel any need to.

BobYoshi

Electromatic
Aug 4, 2022
Port Coquitlam
Why did I get this streamliner? I was going for a Gretsch hollow body eversince the Randy Bachman Story but a guy at a local music store pointed out that you have to be more careful with the jack, especially with old, budget conscious models (apparently, the cheaper wood around input jack weakens over time.) So I pursued a different lead on a solid body being sold locally. Price was fair. Simple, clean design, esp for a first electric..did due diligence...plus Gretsch has cred for reliability and workmanship so..

Last edited:

MrWookiee

Country Gent
Jun 17, 2020
SoCal, USA
Bought my first guitar, a Georgia Green G2627T, with the same deal @Dana Rudd got after watching the SDOTD daily for months. I didn't know what I wanted, other than "inexpensive but not too cheesy" (inexpensive horns being notoriously awful). When I saw the name Gretsch and $419 I made it work, having had no idea how much of a rabbit hole (money pit?) the GAS caused by owning an electric would become. The G2627T does sound pretty good acoustically, especially without the pickguard. I'll update with a current pic later.
Update with pic:

Attachments

• 20220814_110252.jpg
    20220814_110252.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 5

twangmanster

Gretschie
Dec 29, 2021
Long Island
Ive always wanted that throaty hollow body tone, open and airy. When I played my 5422 it felt good in my hands. And the price was right, the quality was there as well. But I'll probably trade it for a 6120 one of these coming days. Or maybe just get a 5420. Or both.

BobYoshi

Electromatic
Aug 4, 2022
Port Coquitlam
Why did I get this streamliner? I was going for a Gretsch hollow body eversince the Randy Bachman Story but a guy at a local music store pointed out that you have to be more careful with the jack, especially with old, budget conscious models (apparently, the cheaper wood around output jack *not input, sorry* weakens over time.) So I pursued a lead on a solid body being sold locally. Price was fair. Simple, clean design, esp for a first electric..did due diligence...plus Gretsch has cred for reliability and workmanship so..
Output. Not input.

Lindo

Gretschie
Mar 10, 2019
Derbyshire
I'd never had a Gretsch, and fancied trying one. I ordered a G2655 because of the small size, double cut, semi-hollow body. I bonded with it instantly, and couldn't get over how well made it was, and how nice to play.

I knew it was a keeper, so I upgraded the electrics, nut and tuners, and replaced the Broadtrons with P90s. I holds its own against my other guitars, and I've had several compliments on now it looks and sounds when I've gigged with it.