Why aren’t filtertrons more popular?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by bdub415, Jul 28, 2020.

1. Alanqa

Alanqa Gretschie

Aug 22, 2019
    Lancashire UK
    I hate ‘hate’.

There is something bizarre about being so utterly negative about other musicians.

I don’t like the music of thousands of artists. From Justin Bieber to Michael Jackson. So I don’t listen to them. I don’t mention them and I don’t particularly think about them.

If I were to start ranting about how I thought Rockabilly was derivative, void of harmonic and melodic imagination, sonically cliched and lyrically hackneyed... the powers that be would throw me off this site.

So for the sake of the preservation of peace and harmony, can we lose the inflammatory comments get back to talk about FILTERTRONS as per the discussion, not about how much you hate the Beatles or particular people or flavours of soup that other people here may hold dear.

I don’t want to see this site turn into one of those clique ‘us and them’ chat rooms.

bone, journeyman, ZackyDog and 2 others like this.
  2. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Back to the thread. Filters are very popular at my abode!

20200722_211412.jpg 20200722_213935.jpg 20200713_171902.jpg

A good single coil Tele is a close second!

20200503_143709.jpg

emitex, Scott, calebaaron666 and 5 others like this.
  3. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I agree. For reasons that elude me, this thread seems to be taking a negative turn. There's room for all of us here, but we have to realize that tastes vary. I can find all sorts of negative things to say, on all sorts of subjects, but life is better when I keep it on the positive side.

Truthfully, I don't want to lock this thread, but we need to turn the volume down a bit with regard to the emotional posts.

4. GlenP

GlenP Country Gent

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    I have blacktop filter’trons in my Gretsches, but would really like to swap the open top type covers out for some like that. Not sure if it will adversely impact the sound at all.

5. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Friend of Fred

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Marv666 and G5422T like this.
  6. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Thank you. This one will go from twang to krang too.

It's all up to the player's mood!

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
    calebaaron666 and Marv666 like this.
  7. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA

8. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    they even sound great in a strat!

ZackyDog likes this.
  9. TV the Wired Turtle

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    woman yelling at cat meme.jpg

calebaaron666 likes this.
  10. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    I love filtertron pick ups. Years ago I had a Les Paul deluxe with mini humbuckers and I liked them. Looking back now I think that was Gibson’s way of competing with the filter. Once I discovered gretsch too many years later I fell in love with filters. Most gigs I bring a gretsch with filters and my gold top with P-90’s. Love em both

emitex, ZackyDog and G5422T like this.
  11. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    I have one in a tele
    36F8831F-1B39-4B6A-AD8D-9938BB04FFA3.jpeg

Marv666 and emitex like this.
  12. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I have always been a big fan of the Les Paul Deluxe. It’s a great sounding guitar.

Alanqa and nickurso like this.
  13. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    I agree and I kept hearing people say they didn’t like the mini humbuckers but that was my gateway to filters. I liked the sound of them and the guitar it’s self was a great guitar

14. TV the Wired Turtle

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    bone, Wjensen, Marv666 and 2 others like this.
  15. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    I can too.

20200107_170427.jpg

TV Jones Ray Butts Filtertrons.

Heavenly TWANG.

And my 6120 with Classics. Twang city if you want to.

20200722_211412.jpg

Makes my Tele wonder about its job security for single coil goodness

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
    Wjensen and Marv666 like this.
  16. VictoriaDD59

VictoriaDD59 Gretschie

Feb 26, 2009
    Iowa
    I don’t care for Filtertron loaded Gretsch guitars, I prefer TV Jones T’Armonds in my Duo Jet DSV and 6120 DSW.

I actually prefer the Filtertrons on a Tele. They sound glorious in a Swamp Ash Tele body with some steel saddles tuned down a 1/2 step. Massive and large. I get more compliments on those two homebuilt Teles than anything else I own.

I think the reason I don’t like them on Gretsch guitars is because of the funky switching systems vs standard tone control.

17. texaszag

texaszag Newbie

Aug 27, 2017
    Texas
    I think it has more to do with what we were conditioned with during our teenage years, which were fender single coils and Gibson humbuckers. Gretsch were a niche brand that did not see a lot of popularity with mainstream pop and rock (post Beatles), especially in the 70’s. I tried to bond with my 6118, but in the end to supplement my Fenders I let the 6118 go and replaced it with an LP “clone” (PRS McCarty 594 single cut), which I find gives me a more familiar tone.

To each his own, though.

18. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Good call. During the '70s, Gretsch was not particularly popular in Pop/Rock circles.

19. bigjohnbates

bigjohnbates Electromatic

Jun 15, 2011
    Vancouver
    I think you may need to try some other Filtertrons ; ] Dynasonics are "ok" but here's so much more to be found in a Filtertron.

That said (somewhat tongue in cheek) I like Filtertrons because of the characteristics that make them so much different than a Gibson PAF - lower output, less sustain, more mid-range. When I play my LP Custom (generally for recording solos) I usually roll the volumes off somewhat to get a thinner, cooler sound. I almost want to put the pickups out of phase like Peter Green to give the Gibson more personality. I don't have that issue with my Falcon (ceramic Filtertrons from the 90's) or my White Chicken (TV Jones Classic + Fralin P-90). And all of my P-90's are Bill Fralin's exact copies of the pickup in Eddie Cochran's Gretsch 6120. Actually THAT might be my favourite pickup - especially mixed with the Filtertron.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
  20. malc

malc Newbie

Jun 10, 2020
    Lincoln

I am looking for a Filtertron style pickup that will give me a more full-range, Hi-FI type sound. Sort of 'Chet Atkins Workshop.' I have a Gretsch Broadkaster Players edition, (I think they ought to drop the 'Players Edition' tag as it refuses to stay in tune, even for the duration of one number). I bought it new from GAK during lockdown in the UK, so I was unable to try it. I think the PU's are described as Fulltrons. I can probably manage with retaining the neck PU, but I have already changed the bridge PU to a HS. It is better, but nowhere near what I remember from my first Gretsch Anniversary (bought in 1959) or subsequent ones up to the Baldwin era. I am wondering what members would suggest would be the best choice. The HS did not come with a backplate so I had to remove the one from the Fulltron to get the HS to fit. It took a lot of filing and adjustment to get the holes to line up so I would prefer a PU with backplate fitted and available with gold hardware. I am hoping to sort the sound first before tackling the tuning problems. Any help would be appreciated as I not familiar with modern Gretsch products. BTW, I also bought a Dynasonic DeArmond type PU, which will not fit. Hopefully whatever is suggested would be available in UK or continental Europe.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.