Why aren’t filtertrons more popular?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by bdub415, Jul 28, 2020.

1. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Friend of Fred

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    I'm not sure if I can think of an original 50s rockabilly song where the guitarist uses Filtertrons.

Scott, new6659, Shadowy_Man and 2 others like this.
  2. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Yeah, when I think classic rockabilly I think of teles, p90s, or dynas.

Scott, Shadowy_Man and BorderRadio like this.
  3. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Live and studio are never the same. I've always said that I don't know a piece of gear until I've played it live.
    They are a study in the high cost of fame. I wouldn't have wanted to be in their shoes. Imagine never being able to walk anywhere without being photographed or hounded for autographs. I knew a fellow in Tucson that sold Paul McCartney a stereo for the home he had NE of the city. He came into the store wearing sunglasses and when another customer recognized him, he asked the owner if he could come back after hours. It would be like being in prison.

As to playing live; it's bad enough when you aren't famous and people aren't screaming and throwing themselves at the stage (or so I've heard from friends that aren't superstars). :) But seriously folks, could you imagine being hit with that wall of noise from screaming fans? I know that I've played many a gig in sub-optimal circumstances and it can get pretty bad.

If the Beatles were using AC-30s and they weren't loud enough, that tells you something about the noise level. An AC-30 is Britain's Twin Reverb and probably pretty close to the same volume; 5.75 dB, all other factors being equal, which is noticeable, but not even a doubling of perceived volume. The onstage volume had to have been insane.

I've played a handful of gigs where we had excellent sound and stage volume was quite low. Man, that is luxury. A 5 watt amp just cruising along in the upper end of its clean range and you could all but hear a pin drop, on stage.

Scott and Waxhead like this.
  4. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Country Gent

Yes you only know the official story. Actually, they had to stop to cure their syphilis :p

TV the Wired Turtle likes this.
  5. Highroller

Highroller Synchromatic

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    LoL! As I recall, the drummer wanted to be a hairdresser. Such a shame he never got to realize his dream.

6. Marv666

Marv666 Electromatic

Jul 26, 2020
    Germany
    It doesn´t matter if they used it in the 50s or not.
    Have you actually ever wondered what they would have used if they had the choice we have today?
    They actually even could have prefered emgs and high gain amps....
    Only thing that matters is what you like as a player

7. Marv666

Marv666 Electromatic

Jul 26, 2020
    Germany
    That´s also what i dislike about some rockabilly bands, only looking back and only copying what has been done hundreds of times.
    That makes some bands sooo unoriginal and boring imo.
    Don´t get me wrong i´m not mocking 50s Rockabilly, i actually love 50s Rockabilly but to me there´s no point in doing the same thing over and over and over again.
    I like artists who keep pushing forward.
    I also take inspiration from 50s rockabilly but i´m not limiting myself, it´s one influence from many different ones.

Same goes for gear and everything, i just see no point in limiting yourself because thats what had been used back then :)

Alanqa, new6659 and JeffreyLeePierre like this.
  8. Shadowy_Man

Shadowy_Man Gretschie

May 18, 2020
    Chicago
    I think just about any low to moderate output pickup can work great for that style.

Marv666 likes this.
  9. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Friend of Fred

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    Having been around the UK rock and roll scene for decades, I'm fairly confident in saying that most audience members listen with their eyes. If a band doesn't look right, it probably doesn't matter much what they sound like- the audience will lose interest in a heartbeat. In the UK a band can barely get a booking unless they use a doghouse bass and a big orange guitar. I blame Brian!

Shadowy_Man and Marv666 like this.
  10. Marv666

Marv666 Electromatic

Jul 26, 2020
    Germany
    That´s a shame! But i wouldn´t blame Brian, i´d blame the purists

Waxhead likes this.
  11. Alanqa

Alanqa Gretschie

Aug 22, 2019
    Lancashire UK
    I really don’t get the hatred for the Beatles here. I know a lot of you guys are into Rockabilly which is fine, the Beatles however did break All the harmonic and thematic cliches that Rock N Roll had got stuck in. Even their early songs had unusual chord sequences.

if it wasn’t for the Beatles we’d all be writing songs in I IV & V or I VI IV I.

12. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    I would not play guitar without Filtertron pickups.

[​IMG]

13. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    I also prefer Singlecoils over Humbuckers every day of the week but F‘trons are something inbetween, like a Telepickup on steroids.

Scott and Shadowy_Man like this.
  14. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    Sorry, double post

15. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    It’s an unfortunate trait, but fairly common, I fear. People allow the visual to outweigh everything else, at times. It’s not just Rockabilly, either.

Indeed.

There’s a lot to what you say. Three and four chord sequences were all you needed for most fifties Rock n’ Roll. They definitely took things a step beyond. Love ‘em or hate ‘em, they changed music forever.

Marv666 and Wjensen like this.
  16. MTurner

MTurner Friend of Fred

Aug 17, 2010
    Clayton, North Carolina, USA
  17. Wjensen

Wjensen Gretschie

May 25, 2019
    Raleigh, NC
    I am just a student of the guitar-misspent my youth learning to be an engineer. Still, they did introduce innovations to rock n roll. I didn't "get" how much they changed pop music until I started studying guitar. On reflection, however, not all of it for the better.

18. calebaaron666

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    I’ll take the Beatles over the Stray Cats any day.
    I think the Stray Cats are weak and lame new wave crap!
    There! I said it!

Scott, new6659 and Pete66 like this.
  19. Marv666

Marv666 Electromatic

Jul 26, 2020
    Germany
    Even if you prefer the beatles, the stray cats are absolutely not weak and lame stuff :)

20. calebaaron666

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    I said “I THINK they are weak and lame new wave crap”.
    My opinion.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.