Why aren’t filtertrons more popular?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by bdub415, Jul 28, 2020.

1. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    In fact they are true multi-purpose-weapons.
    Old school clean to modern high gain.

2. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    Not to me; it's the very reason I have played guitar for 36+ years.

3. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I agree. It’s the guitar sound I had imagined since my earliest days playing.

The “Great Gretsch Sound” description goes back a long way in Gretsch guitar history. I’m pretty certain that they were using it in the acoustic archtop days.

BorderRadio, Waxhead and capnhiho like this.
  4. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    ooohh yes, yes!
    [​IMG]

5. TV the Wired Turtle

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    here's summa dat GREAT GRETSCH SOUND, unfreakin deniable Great Gretsch here. It changed the EARTH. Gretsch with filtertrons and a vox ac30

If I liked the beatles which I hate, this would be my favorite song. But its not. Stupid Beatles.

6. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    As absolutely striking this time as it was when I first heard it in 1964. Very simple, but spot on.

j.s.c and TV the Wired Turtle like this.
  7. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    I have a luthier friend in Japan who specializes in period-correct Fender builds. You have probably seen my 1954-spec Tele and Mary Kaye Stratocaster. He is such a stickler for accuracy he also winds his own pickups. When I was in Osaka in 2009 I saw my Mary Kaye under construction, along with a several other guitars. At dinner that night I casually asked in conversation: "In your opinion, which is the best pickup ever made?" Without hesitation, he replied: " vintage Gretsch Filtertrons" :cool:

new6659, Shadowy_Man, Waxhead and 5 others like this.
  8. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Country Gent

Then you wisely choose your friends :)

TV the Wired Turtle and audept like this.
  9. TV the Wired Turtle

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    Amazing for the crappiest band that every existed, I get choked up at how miserable they make me feel. Yesterday, is probably the worst song I've ever heard.

slickfaster and BorderRadio like this.
  10. Alanqa

Alanqa Gretschie

Aug 22, 2019
    Lancashire UK
    I think you have hit the nail on the head. The filtertron is an odd shape and size. Most similar to a p90 or mini humbucker in length and width but much deeper. This makes it an awkward retro fit. It isn’t even consistent among Filtertrons as some mount on the bezel some mount on the body.

This makes it a pain for manufacturers and guitar builders who are set up to route for the 2 industry standards. Strat sized single coils and Gibson style humbuckers.

emitex likes this.
  11. Robbie

Robbie Friend of Fred

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    Gretsch and Filtertrons do Rockabilly better than any other AND they do everything else exceptionally well.

Marv666, audept and Waxhead like this.
  12. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I couldn’t agree more. The tragedy, of course, was that those guys could have contributed so much more to society had they gotten mundane jobs. :)

13. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    That's the thing about paradigms--people announce they 'discovered' something in guitardom because they weren't exposed to it before. If the 'industry standard' is Gibson/Seth HBs and Strat single coils, it's because of those old rigid paradigms during the 'golden age' of electric guitar. Those matter less and less today. I'm not trying to be a contrarian, not trying to say anybody is wrong in their experience, but lets be honest, the thread title is preaching to the choir here :)

FWIW, manufacturers have no problem routing whatever guitar for whatever pickup they choose. Any builder worth his/her salt can route for Charlie Christian pickups, real DeArmond/Dynasonics, and Filtertrons with or without a ring. DIY-ers also have it easy nowadays to mod to Filtertrons/Dynas etc. Vast amount of options from TVJ for one, and there are lots of threads here describing how to do it with less, using simple tools, or a few new mounting products from GFS and Philly Luthier. Saying to be helpful, because I know there are a contingent of players that love Gretsch pickups but rather have boring Strat/Gibson LP guitars (easy now you Gibson-Strat guys :) ). Not for me, I want my Gretsch guitars, foibles and all, nothing else will do :)

calebaaron666 and MTurner like this.
  14. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    At the manufacturer's level, there would be no problem mounting Filters on just about any imaginable guitar. Of course, Gibson isn't about to promote Gretsch pickups. With Fender, it is a bit different, because of their affiliation with Gretsch.

Fortunately, TV Jones provides some great support for mounting their Filtertron style pickups to just about anything,

BorderRadio likes this.
  15. Alanqa

Alanqa Gretschie

Aug 22, 2019
    Lancashire UK
    Another reason may be that Filtertrons are perceived as being weak pickups with low output.

I used to have an arrogant teenage Guitar student who knew Everything and told me my Gretsch Filtertrons were too weak for ‘serious rock’ (EMO apparently). He’d read online that the ohmage was pretty low on Filtertrons and thought that was all you needed to know.

After unplugging his PRS SE I plugged in my Gretsch and Proved him extremely wrong! My guitar was definitely louder.

It shut the little squirt up.

Wjensen, j.s.c, Waxhead and 11 others like this.
  16. Marv666

Marv666 Electromatic

Jul 26, 2020
    Germany
    I´d say filtertrons AND dynasonics :)

17. Marv666

Marv666 Electromatic

Jul 26, 2020
    Germany
    There´s soo much that´s much worse than the beatles LOL

TV the Wired Turtle likes this.
  18. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    Agree re: striking but to my ears, very different than how that same setup/combination (AC30& Gent) would sound in the Abbey Road studio with Neumann U47 (?). My guess, the Albert Hall venue, the mics used there, as well as the amplifiers bleeding into the vocal mics combined with mic'ed amplifiers through the PA system (if that makes any sense).

TV the Wired Turtle likes this.
  19. TV the Wired Turtle

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    I'd say the Beatles are possibly the worst thing to ever happen to music, and if I had a solid collection of their recordings, which I dont... They would be kept in the basement covered in old dirty rags.

slickfaster likes this.
  20. TV the Wired Turtle

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    One reason why they were sick of trying to continue playing live, the crowds were too large and the pa systems and their equipment couldnt sustain anything worth
    playing, let alone being able to hear themselves sing. Or so I've heard, I dont know anything about that wretched band.

ZackyDog likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.