Whose Guitar Would You Like To Own?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by drmilktruck, Mar 17, 2021.

1. unbridled

unbridled Country Gent

Aug 20, 2008
    Montana
    oneforsorrow, EarleG and drmilktruck like this.
  2. Hoot

Hoot Electromatic

Jun 25, 2019
    Southern IL, USA
    The only reason I would want someone else's guitar would be because of its apparent worth on the market. I'd sell the guitar and buy 10 guitars I really want, and have enough left over to buy a house in the Bahama's.

dougmon and pmac11 like this.
  3. EarleG

EarleG Electromatic

Dec 19, 2013
    Hendersonville TN
    Probably Mike Bloomfield's '59 Les Paul even if just for a month or two. Otherwise Robben Ford's Telecaster or Larry Carlton's ES-335.
    [​IMG]

4. JoeyC810

JoeyC810 Electromatic

Dec 9, 2018
    Dracut, MA
    I love that one!

oneforsorrow likes this.
  5. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

I read in a biography of Mike Bloomfield that he broke the headstock off of that guitar:oops::(

6. azrielle

azrielle Electromatic

Feb 24, 2021
    Lund,NV USA
    While I wouldn't mind having my dad's 1940s made Gibson L7 (or similar) complete with D'Armond "monkey on a stick" pickup that he pawned for a couple hundred bucks in the mid-90s, I'll never be that well-heeled in my remaining years, and besides, I used to hate that thing (because of its size, mostly, it's what he taught me to play on after all). So, that said, I recently acquired a black G5410T Rat Rod through Zzounds primarily because of its "looks". And I lucked out it seems--it is just plain wonderful played acoustically (the difference between it and my G2655 is night and day!). To be blunt, I HAVE the guitar I want, haven't even amplified it yet, it sounds so good without it atmo it's a "why bother" conundrum.

LivingMyDream and drmilktruck like this.
  7. oneforsorrow

oneforsorrow Gretschie

May 15, 2020
    Iowa
    I'd also take his Firebird if it were offered :)

8. oneforsorrow

oneforsorrow Gretschie

May 15, 2020
    Iowa
    unbridled likes this.
  9. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Country Gent

One guitar I wouldn't like to own is Michael Bloomfield's telelacaster.
    Sure that's the one that can be heard on Like A Rolling Stone and the whole Highway 61 revisited.
    But... An idiot once decided to cut it!!!!

BLOOMFIELD_63TELE_05.jpg

new6659 and drmilktruck like this.
  10. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    I wonder if it was for looks or upper fret access. However a double Florentine cut would look cool. I'm sure it didn't affect Bloomfield's playing.

JeffreyLeePierre likes this.
  11. unbridled

unbridled Country Gent

Aug 20, 2008
    Montana
    He is a great guy. His FOH guy is nice, too. (he's the big guy beside me.) I'd been visiting with him before the show and during intermission and he checked with Marty, which is how I got to play it.

After that, I went over and visited with Marty, and he asked how I liked it. I offered him double what he paid for it. (Suzie White sold it to him for $1,250.)

oneforsorrow likes this.
  12. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Friend of Fred

Like some others, I chose my guitars because of what I felt and heard. These guitars are the right instruments for me, just as the star's guitars are the right guitars for them.

So, I wouldn't bother buying a star's perfect guitar. That said, and so that I don't just rain on everyone's parade, I would love to have one of David Gilmour's guitars . . . as long David agrees to give me lessons and a heaping helping of his MOJO. ;) :D

Last edited: Mar 25, 2021
    drmilktruck likes this.
  13. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Another dream guitar would be this one. I have no idea what it is but would take it over any electric.

Teledriver and drmilktruck like this.
  14. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

OHH NOOOOOOO!!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

JeffreyLeePierre likes this.
  15. mr coffee

mr coffee Country Gent

Oct 7, 2009
    Houston
    Years ago when I was cutting my teeth on Bourbon St, I worked as stage hand, roadie, sound man, guitar tech, occasional scrubboard and sometimes fill-in guitarist for Mamou. Steve Lafleur wasn't really famous, but he taught me a lot about musicianship, performing, songwriting, performing, working sound; and he was my friend when I didn't have many. He threw that damned Strat at me enough times, if I could have it I'd like to...

...a pic of me in October 1998 covering for Steve at Patout's with his Strat. Damn, I was a mess, 24 and close to rock bottom.

-m

Attached Files:

LivingMyDream likes this.
  16. michelb

michelb Synchromatic

Mar 27, 2020
    Belgium
  17. oneforsorrow

oneforsorrow Gretschie

May 15, 2020
    Iowa
    I love that! If I recall correctly, the story goes that he had $30,000 in his checking account (having been a part of Johnny Cash's band for some time) and was prepared to get more if he had to but she sold it to him for that $1250. I think he's been about the best steward of that instrument as we could hope for. Man, that guy can play!

18. afire

afire Country Gent

Upper fret access. A lefty bought it from him and that's why the cutaway was added.

drmilktruck and JeffreyLeePierre like this.
  19. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Country Gent

As far as I remember, that was not done by Bloomfield but by a later owner.

EDIT- ooops, confirmed by @afire before I answered.

drmilktruck likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.