Who was responsible for historic Gretsch inlay designs?

Discussion in 'Vintage Gretsch Discussion' started by SunRa, Jan 12, 2021.

1. SunRa

SunRa Gretschie

Feb 7, 2015
    new york
    I have posted on my recent acquisition--a c. 1941 Synchromatic 100, but am now wondering if there is any info on who might have designed the headstock and inlay patterns of such a guitar. The headstock inlay and 0112211513a.jpg 0109211129d.jpg 0109210947c~2.jpg the way it is carried through the fretboard is truly beautiful design.

G5422T, Shadowy_Man, Groutsch and 3 others like this.
  2. SunRa

SunRa Gretschie

Feb 7, 2015
    new york
    Sorry the post got chopped up by the pics. It is the way the headstock design is deconstructed and carried through the fretboard that impresses me.

3. afire

afire Country Gent

I've never heard of any individual being identified as designing anything at Gretsch before Jimmie Webster in the 1950s. The only person I know of that was around in the 1930s would be Duke Kramer, but he definitely wouldn't have been involved in guitar design back then.

4. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    It is some beautiful art work to say the least

MrWookiee, radd and Jelly Roll Horton like this.
  5. Jelly Roll Horton

Jelly Roll Horton Country Gent

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
  6. SunRa

SunRa Gretschie

Feb 7, 2015
    new york
    Thanks...obvious someone thought through this design carefully. Another Gretsch mystery!

7. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Country Gent

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    That is a very well thought out design for sure. Looks great.

8. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa Cruz
    Love the headstock and inlays.

It’s a shame Joe C. retired from Gretsch last year; he would have been a great one to ask.

9. afire

afire Country Gent

With all due respect to Joe, I don't think anybody at the modern Gretsch company would have any idea what was going on 85 years ago. With all the factory records having been destroyed in the 1970s, just about everything we (mostly Ed) know about the early days of Gretsch guitars has been gleaned from the guitars themselves. Dan Duffy was pretty much the last surviving link to the Brooklyn era of Gretsch.

tartanphantom likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.