Who pays to get taxes done?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Bertotti, Feb 9, 2020.

1. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    I pay $400 and my accountant and i spend a couple of hours in her office. I drink coffee and give her the numbers. She asks all the right questions, does all the work and makes the whole thing pleasant. I walk away feeling confident that they were done right, and 100% certain that i saved a LOT of time and angst.
    Our situation is complex and involves international earnings and expenses.
    $400 is an incredible deal from my perspective

Sid Nitzerglobin likes this.
  2. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Yes in your case I would do the same but mine was just a standard 1040 a couple mortgage statements the health insurance hsa crap and proof of health insurance so actually quite simple. When I needed to itemize using someone else made more sense. I couldn’t see co to hit. To pay over 250$ for my needs when 36.95 got it done with just a bit of time on my part, about double the time of me going in and it will be quicker next year since I know have some understanding of the electronic process.

3. Kitvin713

Kitvin713 Gretschie

Jan 10, 2017
    Fresno, CA, U.S.A.
    I’ve always done my own taxes. Even when I worked freelance. Typically I use FreeTaxUSA. It’s cheap and because my returns are simple. I don’t have any problems.

4. pilgrim

pilgrim Country Gent

Jun 15, 2010
    Mississippi
    I pay a CPA and I taught income tax. Never a worry and worth the money.

5. simonhard

simonhard Newbie

Aug 20, 2021
    USA
    Hello. I don't know about you, but I prefer to pay all taxes. Of course, I don't enjoy it. But on the other hand, my faith and my spiritual principles do not allow me not to pay as much as I need. If I could, I would certainly find loopholes like not paying taxes. But even though I always pay taxes, I had problems with the tax service. Once they called and said that I had problems with the Internet receipt. As a result, I had to pay the tax again. Since then, I have always used a service that insures me from such situations and helps to get pay stabs online.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2021
  6. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Since I started the shop business I have for the Fed & State income tax returns. I put in a couple/few hours of legwork ahead of meeting w/ the tax pros, spend ~1-1.5 hours sitting in their office twiddling my thumbs for the most part, & write them a check for ~$100-150.

I could do them myself likely, but I figure given the fairly low cost it makes sense to have professionals to deal w/ the governmental agencies should they feel the need to pull out a microscope on me.

7. panhead6zero

panhead6zero Country Gent

Jan 17, 2015
    The Motor City
    I was in the Air National Guard and one of my fellow guardsmen did taxes. I figured I would rather spend a night on a local Flight and pay him rather than spend the same amount of time muddling through taxes! Tony still does my taxes 18 years later!

8. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I should but I do then anyways. Luckily our tax authorities are honest, as it goes, as they have corrected me in my favor as often as against.

pmac11 likes this.
  9. guitarfarm

guitarfarm Country Gent

I've been paying my accountant a small fortune each year to do mine. While he isn't cheap, my taxes aren't the kind I could do with a tax program. I may wince at his bill each year, but he keeps me around 7% so I really shouldn't complain.

10. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    TurboTax the last 10 years. Before that I did them by hand.

Bertotti likes this.
  11. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Last two years but mine got hung up last year took several months for a return to get processed then there was an issue. I will probably do it again this year though as well.

pmac11 likes this.
  12. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    The company I work for was bought out in December, so I had capital gains for the first time after selling my shares. TT handled it without issue, although I had to get the premium version.

Bertotti likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.