who OWNS or has PLAYED the new Setzer Smoke guitars?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by sanhozay, Aug 22, 2020.

1. jarrodtaylor

jarrodtaylor Gretschie

Mar 14, 2019
    Delray Beach, FL
    I’ve seen people do it with a screwdriver. As usual though, StewMac has the real answer:

The end result is not the same type of edge the Smoke neck has. It’s more like something that would have to be done when they made the neck, not after. Not better or worse, just a different thing. I have plenty of guitars with edges like in the video and they’re all better for it.

sgarnett likes this.
  2. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    Wow a screwdriver.

Thanks for posting that, will check it out when I have more time.

3. MKunie

MKunie Country Gent

Feb 8, 2012
    Vegas,USA
    For me? I was choosing between Smoke and my Falcon LE, Wanted the RB Pickups, and with the attributes that the Falcon has, and I have am Orange 6120-55, It was a no brainer, The Falcon to my needs and compared to what I already have was the better choice. the RB Pickups are more amazing every time I play the guitar! But maybe in the future when tings cool off and I get another job, I will definitely get a Smoke.

G5422T likes this.
  4. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    Sandy Eggo
    It honestly depends on what youre after. Setzer loves the Setzer Sigs that TVjones has implemented on all his guitars over the last several yrs. They are very balanced w a bit more aggressiveness or dynamic focus rather than classics in my opinion, yet I find I really love the nature of the true to early gretsch sound the Ray Butts bring to these guitars. Less "Brian Setzer Orchestra" era and more "Stray Cats" era meets old school Chet Atkins and George Harrison.. Ironically even without wax potting these Ray Butts dont squeal and arent too microphonic even w medium overdrive applied.

5. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Friend of Fred

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    I have RB’s in my 95 6120-60 turned Poison Ivy tribute model, and they are incredible.
    My guitar just has a sound post and it still doesn’t squeal at all, but it gives up the good feedback if I stand directly in front of my amp and conjure it with deviant intent.

6. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    I am interested in this. Got a link to the simple procedure? Right now, it take me about 10 years to "roll my edges" LOL

7. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    Super simple. Takes 10 min.

8. LA Miles

LA Miles Country Gent

Dec 6, 2012
    UPSTATE NY
    Thx for link

9. YourBlueRoom

YourBlueRoom Gretschie

Jan 25, 2017
    Nashville, TN
    I used to have an SSLVO and I've played the Smoke (one at NAMM and another one at GC). The SSLVO is thicker, particular as you move up the neck - mine was .93 at the 9th fret. According to CME the Smoke is .90 at the 9th fret. Though the rolled edges on the Smoke are really nice the neck felt about as thin as any 6120 I've ever played. I've owned and played a lot of 2nd Gen (2004-2014) Setzer signatures and they all varied a bit in thickness depending on the year. None were as thin as the Smoke but my 2013 SSLVO was the thickest of them all. YMMV.

sanhozay likes this.
  10. jarrodtaylor

jarrodtaylor Gretschie

Mar 14, 2019
    Delray Beach, FL
    Interesting. My calipers are reading my Smoke as .98 at the 9th fret, top of the fret without strings. Slightly less from the fingerboard itself, but not anywhere close to .90.

sanhozay likes this.
  11. YourBlueRoom

YourBlueRoom Gretschie

Jan 25, 2017
    Nashville, TN
    I believe measuring from the top of the fretboard (not including the fret) is the standard approach. Most measure at 1st and 12th fret but on a 6120 you have to measure at the 9th fret due to the neck heel.

http://www.crookcustomguitars.com/2012/07/23/how-to-measure-a-guitar-neck/

12. YourBlueRoom

YourBlueRoom Gretschie

Jan 25, 2017
    Nashville, TN
    There are definitely variances from guitar to guitar. You might have just found a special one with a beefier neck!

13. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Remember that the Smoke, other SSigs, and LTV 6120's have a vintage "V" profile.

Depending on playing style, some say that they feel "thin," while they really aren't if measured from fret board to the back of the neck.

The shoulders on a "V" are exactly that, they are thinner on the sides than a husky "C" or "U" shape. Nature of the "V" beast, and FWIW my favorite for my hands comfort.

Bertotti, sanhozay and gretscher09 like this.
  14. TV the Wired Turtle

Jul 25, 2009
    Sandy Eggo
    :^0 mechanical compression of the wood on edges of an expensive guitar neck w a screwdriver wouldnt be my first choice.

15. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

I said Fenders. :)
    I do it on all of my personal players and it works like a charm.

Tele295 and ruger9 like this.
  16. cvr31

cvr31 Gretschie

I also have a 2013 SSLVO. I haven't measured it, but the V neck is "chunky enough" for me, and is very comfortable. In fact, one of the most comfortable guitar necks I've ever played.

I like the Gretsch V necks, but I also like their C shape necks, albeit some are thinner than others. I prefer the ones that are slightly thicker.

sanhozay and G5422T like this.
  17. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Yep, I love a good C or U shaped neck, but it has to have some girth to it.

The Gretsch Vintage V is perfect to my hands. My previous '12 6120LTV and present 6120-59QM necks felt identical.

A comfortable V that I just love to play.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
    sanhozay and cvr31 like this.
  18. sanhozay

sanhozay Electromatic

Mar 17, 2014
    usa
    thanks everyone for the replies! i really love my '14 sslvo but the new smoke has some pretty great features. i purchased my sslvo second hand in 2015 and saved a whole bunch. at some point, i'll cross paths with a smoke for a price that's too good to pass up. setzer has great tone & great equipment and an incredible touch, so i'm not really seeking a specific tone from his career. i just love old 6120's and the new setzer models look incredible. nice work, brian & gretsch!

19. TV the Wired Turtle

Jul 25, 2009
    Sandy Eggo
    sound post gretsch guitars have no peer! :)

20. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Friend of Fred

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    I agree!
    I gots 2 of them!
    633B350C-6474-4CB0-9635-56448D5216FE.jpeg

YourBlueRoom, Stefan87 and G5422T like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.