Who Is Using AmpliTube Live?....

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by GreatGretsch, Jul 12, 2020.

1. GreatGretsch

GreatGretsch Country Gent

Jun 25, 2008
    Pittsburgh suburbs
    Who is using AmpliTube or other simulated amp for live shows? What do you like/dislike? What tips do you have to share?

l just played my third live show (solo) using AmpliTube. I’m actually very happy with my sound/tone/feel! My setup is fairly simple...Guitar>interface>iPad>Bose L1 and a Blueboard foot pedal to choose amp/effects settings. If playing a larger club, I feed a powered PA speaker from my Bose to fill the room.

I use two amp simulators; a 57 Deluxe and a Deluxe Reverb. The only effects I use are delay and reverb. When setting the AmpliTube amps up, I compared (A-B’d) them to my actual amps. They sound is eerily close! Maybe since I don’t use a lot of effects is why it doesn’t sound processed… Not sure, just my theory.

2. JT19

JT19 Gretschie

Nov 28, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    I have no plans to play live anytime soon... but I recently ordered an IK Multimedia AXE I/O Solo interface specifically because it came bundled with AmpliTube Max and Ableton 10 Lite. I'm hoping to do some basic home recording, strictly for my own entertainment.

Still waiting on delivery, but hopefully it lives up to expectations.

I was impressed enough with the AmpliTube demos that I don't own an actual amp at the moment. As long as I can get reasonably close to a clean Fender Blackface tone, I'll be happy. Having access to multiple different Fender sounds is a huge plus, as is having models of the VOX AC30 and Roland JC-120.

Glad to hear that you find the models to be fairly good. Like you, I use minimal effects. Reverb almost always, with touches of delay and tremolo. And I play clean 95% of the time.

GreatGretsch likes this.
  3. GreatGretsch

Jun 25, 2008
    Pittsburgh suburbs
    I’m fairly certain you will be happy with those amp models...keep us posted

4. GreatGretsch

Jun 25, 2008
    Pittsburgh suburbs
  5. JT19

JT19 Gretschie

Nov 28, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Great playing, and nothing wrong with that tone, either! Never would have guessed it was software instead of a real amp.

Now I'm really excited to get my hands on AmpliTube. I've been playing my G5420 acoustically for a month now... can't wait to run it through some amp models!

GreatGretsch likes this.
  6. JT19

JT19 Gretschie

Nov 28, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    I've been using AmpliTube 4 for a little more than 6 months now (just at home... I don't perform any more), and I'm absolutely thrilled with it. Getting the AXE I/O Solo interface bundled with AmpliTube and Ableton Live is probably the best $250 I've ever spent on music gear.

Obviously, playing through little desktop monitors (Mackie CR3-X) is going to feel very different from playing through an amp with a pair of 12" speakers... but the amp models are fantastic for noodling around in my home office. I mostly stick to the models of the amps I've owned and loved (Fender Twin, Vox AC30, Roland JC-120), but it's fun to have all the other models at hand to play around with, too.

I've always been a guitar-straight-to-the-amp guy, with reverb being the only effect I used most of the time (unless the amp had tremolo built in, and then I'd only use it sparingly)... so for me, it's been a blast to have all these effects at my fingertips as well. I can see why people get addicted to tweaking their pedalboards. I can't speak to how well these models replicate their real-life counterparts, since I've had such limited exposure to using them, but they sound very impressive to me.

And I LOVE the visual interface of the software. It's just so aesthetically pleasing (and intuitive to use) when you're tweaking buttons and switches just like you would on the real gear.

It also doesn't hurt that I can get the tones I like without ever having to worry about disturbing anyone else in the house... which means I can play at all hours of the night--something I could never do with a real amplifier.

I'm also very encouraged to know that I could run through a Bose system or a small PA instead of using a traditional amplifier with good results if I ever wanted to play with other musicians or perform again.

GreatGretsch likes this.
  7. GreatGretsch

Jun 25, 2008
    Pittsburgh suburbs
    I’m happy you’re enjoying AmpliTube too. It appears we are very similar with keeping our rigs simple and minimal. The controls being tweaked like a real amp is a nice touch, although I wish they were a little less sensitive.

Give me a slap back or a little reverb and I’m set to go. That’s all I use for my live shows, whether it’s using AmpliTube or an amp. The most important part of this equation is having an amp that is dynamic. It must be able to clean up with a light touch or backing off the volume knob. The AmpliTube Custom Deluxe does an amazing job at duplicating my real Deluxe.

Using AmpliTube through the Bose or other array systems works great for my solo gigs. Because the array is behind you, the mix you hear is exactly what the audience hears. If you get the opportunity to plug into one, I believe you’d be impressed.

8. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Well I was impressed with your playing!

GreatGretsch likes this.
  9. Ricochet

Ricochet Senior Gretsch-Talker

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I love Amplitube on my iPad but I’ve only used it as a practice tool.
    How long can you play with a full charge?

10. GreatGretsch

Jun 25, 2008
    Pittsburgh suburbs
    It doesn’t drain the battery much, although I always keep it on a battery powered charger during shows and put it in airplane mode to avoid distracting messages or possible calls. I’m sure it would make it through a whole evening, but the iPad is getting older. I don’t like taking chances :)...

I am currently looking into some of the amp modeling pedals available. If I find one that sounds as good as AmpliTube , I will replace it to free up app usage. The Atomic Firebox looks promising. It’s simple and has great reviews. The Warus ACS1 and Strymon Iridium are also contenders. NUX has a new modeler coming out also, the MG-30.

Ricochet likes this.
  11. mr coffee

mr coffee Country Gent

Oct 7, 2009
    Houston
    I've dabbled with Amplitube for recording on my laptop when I'm away from home, but never thought much about trying to use it in a live setting. As far as tone goes, I was pretty well able to nail my usual saturated 6505+ sound. Would I send it out that way? Probably not, I'd most likely reamp the DI tracks. Live is another thing entirely, though - the audience mostly doesn't pick up on the subtleties that we hear, or think we hear, in the moment as performers. As long as I felt confident and comfortable, no real latency issues specifically, I'd probably run it live.

=m

12. GreatGretsch

Jun 25, 2008
    Pittsburgh suburbs
    For live solo situations, AmpliTube is fantastic! I will use it periodically with my band. I prefer using an amp with the band.

13. razzer10_4

razzer10_4 Newbie

Wednesday
    Spain
    Little late to this thread. While I don't gig I do jam with family members. I used to play through a Yamaha THX amp but the room we now used sort of swallowed the volume (I blame the drummer!). Until the pandemic hit I was using Amplitube 4 (have since moved up to AT5 Max). It's the same setup I play at home: guitar/interface/Microsoft Surface Pro/Crate 150 PowerBlok (into the effects loop)/ passive PA speaker. At one point I tried using a Soft Step peddle to engage/disengage effects but the two together just became so complicated to program that I gave up.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.