Who else is compelled to change the knobs & add stickers to their SSU, SSL, or SSLVO?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by TV the Wired Turtle, Jun 28, 2016.

1. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Love it! My boy was a googly eye collector when was 2. He'd pick them off toys, art work, stuffed animals, wherever he found them. He had a little stash of several dozen googly eyes in his drawer.

ishtar likes this.
  2. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Friend of Fred

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    You can never have too many black cat stickers. This little dude turns up on most of my guitars.
    P1110826.JPG

heinzman, John C, ishtar and 4 others like this.
  3. Zeek

Zeek Country Gent

May 29, 2016
    Illinois USA
    I have always put stickers on my stuff, then I just started painting them on. So I am a advocate for stickers and paint, I think it personalizes it. I don't seem to like a clean surface, probably why I have 1 or 2 tattoos Lol.

That said I want a clear pickguard to see all of the guitar..... and show off the (soon) paint under it..

Stickers don't stick well to cases though so I painted Gretsch on mine.
    Same on my Epiphone case.

ishtar likes this.
  4. draven07

draven07 Electromatic

Oct 23, 2014
    Singapore
    Just curious how "stain-free" are waterslide decals on lacquer finishes when removed?

ishtar likes this.
  5. Moleng1

Moleng1 Synchromatic

Jul 5, 2014
    Vancouver, B.C. Canada
    The only problem with sticker that I ran into was one of my guitars fading around the sticker, such a bummer as it's a pretty rare blueburst Epiphone dot limited edition.

I had a hula girl and some pink dice knobs on her, decided I wanted her back to stock and when I pealed the sticker off there was a definite ghost pattern of the hula girl there, and still is.

If you hang your guitars and don't keep them in a case I wouldn't leave any stickers on for to long. BTW, the guitar was never hung in a sunny area, always in an area of the house with just normal lighting.

Henry and ishtar like this.
  6. ishtar

ishtar Country Gent

I did this to my Tim Armstrong, which I no longer have....
    [​IMG]
    But my biggest disfiguring was when I put a black Gretsch G on my Martin. I waited to do that until after I fell carrying my tele and smashed both the guitar headstock and my face into the OM-21 Special.... Disfigured my face too. Que sera sera, scar face.... The tele, a parts caster, was no worse for the collision.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Blood on the saddle...

Face healed. Only two strings left scars. Punched a hole through the EIR upper bout back corner....

Got the guitar fixed and threw a G on it.

Would this seem a bit extreme?

r0de0 and Mi-Go like this.
  7. speedicut

speedicut Friend of Fred

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
  8. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    I did stickers in the '60s back when it was cool, before it became kitsch. :p:p:p

Waxhead likes this.
  9. T simmons

T simmons Friend of Fred

Jun 5, 2013
    California
    I feel pretty much the same.

nickurso likes this.
  10. Mi-Go

Mi-Go Gretschie

May 2, 2016
    The Netherlands
    +1

Nice!

ishtar likes this.
  11. Theo 413

Theo 413 Gretschie

Dec 7, 2009
    Massachusetts
    I haven't changed anything on my SSU yet, but if the right sticker comes along...maybe. Also, putting a sticker on a urethane guitar is very easy to reverse without damage to the finish.

12. John C

John C Gretschie

May 22, 2016
    Milwaukee WI
    IMG_4162.JPG
    Been thinking about putting a decal on but im afraid it will ruin the finish

13. rich724

rich724 Gretschie

Apr 16, 2013
    Linden, MI
    I have a green SSU as well and have added tele knobs with green MOP tops. No stickers.

14. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    Sandy Eggo
    cant ruin a poly finish w stickers, go for it!! :) plus its easier to recover if stolen

15. Gotone

Gotone Gretschie

Jan 2, 2012
    Ontario
    The flames the thang for my SSL.

[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

MTurner likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.