Who ditched their blacktop filtertrons?

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by 5120mantis, Mar 11, 2020.

1. DennisC

DennisC Synchromatic

May 11, 2017
    Germany
    I replaced mine with a pair of Magnatrons.

Partially, because in this video

they sounded really, really nice - and a sverely bit twangier than any other dual coil pickup I ever heard. In case you're after that, and would appreciate them being maybe a bit over the top regarding twang - they're it! I really, really, really love them, both clean and dirty. They're übercool in a few ways - maybe not everyone's cup of, but mine for sure!

Their build quality and stuff is as you'd expect from TVJ, meaning absolutely flawless. A nice piece of art and reason!

Anyway - if you're after a less extreme amount of twang, classic/plus or Setzer signature may serve you just as well.

I reused the connectors, meaning I took them off the old pickup's wires and did nothing to the rest of the harness so far - no soldering of any inside components, the least hassle imaginable!

Waxhead likes this.
  2. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    so serious man meme.jpg

Ive got a set of blacktops out of my Tim Armstrong Gretsch avail. ? Anyone? AnyOne? Bueller? buellerrrr?

Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
    NJDevil, 5120mantis, DennisC and 2 others like this.
  3. Jelly Roll Horton

Jelly Roll Horton Country Gent

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    I actually like my stock Blacktops on my 5422. With my MXR Carbon Copy through my VoxAC15 or Fender Champ 20 they sound just right for the sound I'm looking for practicing rockabilly.

4. MikeSchindler

MikeSchindler Synchromatic

Feb 3, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    And they charge 250o -3500 for most of these prolines... I would think they should address this with a serious revamp on the bar bridges and radius and with some of the adjustomatics the quality is not good.

5. dmunson

dmunson Gretschie

Dec 19, 2015
    Charlotte, NC
    I have TV's in a couple of my older Gretsches, but the BT's in my 5230 are going to stay there. I play everything pretty clean, particularly the gospel stuff, and I've just had too many compliments on my Jet's tone to make any changes in it.

Wjensen, ZackyDog, 5120mantis and 2 others like this.
  6. Charlie westside

Charlie westside Country Gent

Jul 27, 2018
    Sylmar Califirnia
    I agree. I also use my 5230 for Gospel
    with the BT's in it. Nothing but compliments and good feedback. I'm with you. They're staying.

Wjensen, ZackyDog and new6659 like this.
  7. JParry335

JParry335 Gretschie

Jan 22, 2019
    Scottsdale, AZ
    This is what I did! Supertron in the neck and Classic+ in the bridge. Along with the TVJ wiring harness makes for a world of difference! The blanket came off and it rocks!

8. maverick-tx

maverick-tx Electromatic

Feb 7, 2017
    TX
    I changed mine after about 2 years with them. I looked for a deal and finally found a used set for $100

5120mantis likes this.
  9. nrw_guitar

nrw_guitar Gretschie

Aug 19, 2012
    kettwig
    Does anyone have information on where the Stock Gretsch Pickups are made? I have seached the forum and can't find anything.

Where are the blacktop filtertrons produced?
    Where are the HS Filtertrons produced?
    What about the Super Hiltotrons from the G5622's?

Can we expect that they are made in the same places as the guitar? Are they made by the same supplier in the same place? Just curious.

10. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    That's unlikely, I would expect they are sourced locally to the manufacturing plant though, Korean ones in S. Korea, Chinese ones in China.
    Has anyone ever done a side by side comparison of the Chinese double jet and the Korean version?

nrw_guitar likes this.
  11. Stonepicking

Stonepicking Gretschie

Sep 14, 2018
    Portsmouth uk
    I've kept the Blacktops in my 5420 but I'm just changing them out of my 5422 for a set of Radioshop Radiotrons. Should be back from the shop soon so can't wait to try it out. I played my 5420 out last night and it did sound good!

12. Tg-59

Tg-59 Electromatic

Dec 12, 2019
    Vasa Finland
    I replaced mine with gf-tron classic "hard" pickups. I'm so happy i did the swap, great pickups.

jfassett likes this.
  13. danielfbr6

danielfbr6 Electromatic

Jul 13, 2019
    Ohio
    My G5422T is in the shop now. Swapping the Blacktops for HS Filtertrons. Will report back when it's ready to go.

Hoping the HS Filters add just a hint more clarity. Blacktops were ok just curious mostly.

calebaaron666 likes this.
  14. nrw_guitar

nrw_guitar Gretschie

Aug 19, 2012
    kettwig
    Did you also buy the pickup rings from GFS? How is the quality? They are much lower priced that Gretsch or TV Jones rings.

15. salvatore

salvatore Gretschie

Nov 29, 2017
    Durham, NC
    My 1978 7660 with the Blacktop pickups , for me, has the most complete and the widest range tone of my Gretsch guitars A0872F3C-BEED-410E-8833-208861107970.jpeg , including my 1966 6120.

16. 5120mantis

5120mantis Country Gent

Mar 6, 2011
    nj
    Are the OEM pickups from the 70's ?
    Im talking the modern BTs in a Korean model. I think they're quite different, if not, i stand corrected.

17. Tg-59

Tg-59 Electromatic

Dec 12, 2019
    Vasa Finland
    Yep, i bought the rings and the quality is really good.

nrw_guitar likes this.
  18. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    Still got them on this one :)

4_Horsemen_052.jpg

19. Joey L

Joey L Synchromatic

Jun 24, 2016
    White Plains, NY
    I went with TV Classics. Cut the connector off, soldered connection and used shrink wrap. Works like a charm...love the refined tone of these pick ups.
    18334B4F-98D8-42B9-8D21-D0B57741A205.jpeg

Attached Files:

jfassett, MikeSchindler and Waxhead like this.
  20. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    GOOD FOR YOU!
    I love the HS’s in my Falcon.
    I like them even more than the TV Classics I’ve played.
    You will LOVE the improvement.

I will say I think the TV Classic Plus bridge pickups is better than the regular TV classic BECAUSE it sounds more like an HS Filtertron to me.

danielfbr6 and MikeSchindler like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice