Who Could It Be Now? NGD Jaguar Content

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by Synchro, Jul 7, 2020.

1. Stefan87

Stefan87 Synchromatic

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    lol cool, I like to think Aus is a pretty friendly place, would love to head to the states one day but would need months or years there to cover everywhere I'd want to go.

2. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    It seems like a great place. I find the people there very friendly.

3. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    You are right, ive seen some fine pickers playing jags. Here's one of the best.

This kind of playing would surely be on a Tele a few years before.
    And this guy too.

Looks like the same one!
    N' this guy! Watch out now...

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
    emitex likes this.
  4. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    He was a great player. Not a bad sounding axe.

5. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    The second one didn’t appear until I refreshed the page. That was amazing. I love that sound. As good as any Telecaster.

6. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Just added one;)
    I'll stop now, congrats on that cool fiddle.

7. Tadhg

Tadhg Gretschie

Aug 8, 2019
    Qld - Australia
    Umm... That's inaccurate. A Panther isn't a specific breed of cat (given you've referenced the creature), it's almost any member of the panthera family that has black fur. So that could be a leopard (yep, smaller), a jaguar (same size), or even a tiger! A Tiger Panther, that'd be a rare beast! :cool:
    And guitar size? Isn't a Jag 24" scale, where a Panther's 24.6" scale? So that makes the Panther bigger... I can't be sure about body size, but I'd have thought the 16" lower bout on a Panther would be at least close. Especially given your statement about the Jag feeling almost like a toy compared to your 16 & 17" bout Gretsches. :confused:
    You led us up the garden path! :D

But all that's irrelevant - enjoy your new cat. :cool: I do like the trem design on them - I think the rocking TOM design is maligned unfairly. It's either rock the TOM or go roller bridge to get a decent outcome.

8. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I’m glad you added it. That was a great clip.

What an American would think of as a Panther is probably more accurately called a Puma and is a lesser cat, actually more like a house cat than like a lion or tiger.

The Panthera are the big guns of the felidae, tigers, lions, leopards and jaguars, at least one of which has been spotted in the wild, just a few miles from here, which is alluded to in my comments, earlier in this thread. Some school kids took it upon themselves to name him El Jefe, but the wildlife folks just call him the Santa Rita Jaguar. He’s kind of handy to have around. No Trick of Treat in my neighborhood. :)

Tadhg likes this.
  9. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Congrats Mark, a Cool blue!

Weird, a Jag was the first thing I wanted to say, then I started to think. :rolleyes:

10. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    More of a green, but the lighting in that photo wasn’t the best.

I just gave it a little playing session using my Fender Tune Reverb through the Tremor amp. It’s pretty versatile. I was running the gamut, from Buck Owens to Jim Hall and it was doing pretty well with it. It’s more mellow than I would have expected, but it can still get very bright in single coil mode, with just the bridge pickup. The only direct comparison I have experience with is the MIJ Jaguar I had, circa 2011, which was bright to the point of harshness, even after I swapped into Seymour Duncan Hot Jaguar pickups.

At this point, I’m pleasantly surprised by it, although I still have to do some tinkering with the pickup height, etc.

Ricochet likes this.
  11. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Jaguar = cat .....UGH ! I need to go back to A.C.O. School / guitar school ...brush up on a few courses .
    Congratulations , play well my friend

12. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Gretschie

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    Congratulations on your Jaguar. I'm sure you will enjoy it.

13. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Coda:

Sadly, I could not adjust to the sort scale, so I returned the instrument. It is a wonderful guitar and I had set it up quite well. I can’t say enough good things about the neck. It was tremendous.

The bridge pickup was world class, but I felt that the neck pickup was a bit too hot. Because of this, it was somewhat limited, a very bright, very usable bridge pickup and an ultra warm neck problem was that when both pickups were selected, the warmth of the neck pickup overshadowed the bridge pickup, even though the volume from both was well balanced. Had I kept it, I would have gone for a set of Pearly Gates. But, Lord-a-mercy, that bridge pickup would out Tele most Teles.

I would still recommend the ‘60s Mod Jaguar, but be certain that you can be comfortable with a very short scaled instrument.

emitex likes this.
  14. Stefan87

Stefan87 Synchromatic

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    That's no good, well at least you finally owned one, even if it wasn't for very long.

15. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Mark, that is unfortunate. Were you not familiar with 24” scale necks?

16. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I’m glad I got to try it. It’s rough buying when all the stores are closed and you can’t test a few guitars.

Stefan87 likes this.
  17. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I had actually owned a Jaguar, some years back. Perhaps my tastes have changed, but it felt like I was wearing shoes one size too small when I played this one.

18. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Sorry to hear that sir.

19. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I’ll recover. I’ve been spending some time with my G6119-62. It’s a great axe.

JC higgy likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.