Who Could It Be Now? NGD Jaguar Content

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by Synchro, Jul 7, 2020.

1. dougmon

dougmon Gretschie

Jan 9, 2013
    California
  2. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    This particular cat species is very wild.

3. afire

afire Country Gent

I didn't need the feline hints. I knew from the get-go exactly what it is...
    [​IMG]

Tadhg, wabash slim, Sabato and 2 others like this.
  4. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    You're such a " cool cat " yourself , I though perhaps it was part of the riddle ( as a play on words ) :rolleyes:

5. johnny g

johnny g Country Gent

Sep 2, 2017
    union, ms
    You got some EP stuff from Graceland. Good job my friend.

6. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    And proudly so. :)

7. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Signed Sealed Delivered, I'm Yours.

6AC694DB-4EDA-4D55-BB9B-F297C844B143.png
    Cat scan process.

D6CED2DB-6E02-437F-B099-980F8E4478B9.jpeg

Last step before final approval.

F37D4AFF-317A-48B5-B124-29993F1D6B81.jpeg

So here it is. A Vintera '60s Jaguar Modified HH. Basically, I wanted a little hot rod with a short scale. The Humbuckers can be used in single coil mode, giving it the right sound for a Jaguar, but the HB mode isn't so bad either.

Up to this point, I have set the intonation and given it a test play. It seems pretty decent, right out of the box. The vibrato tailpiece seems to work well, and the horror stories I've heard about the T-O-M bridge don't seem to be holding true. There will be modifications, if and when needed, but so far, it's pretty nice. The Ping tuners really surprised me, in a good way.

Now, back to the business at hand.

8. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Yeah. Old "E" and I go way back. :)

ishtar likes this.
  9. RG7X

RG7X Synchromatic

Nov 11, 2018
    Los Angeles
    Crazy. I was just looking into one of these. Beautiful guitar. Congrats!

10. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I'm pleasantly surprised. The big attraction for me is the Trem being closer to the bridge, for greater break angle. It seems to work.

RG7X likes this.
  11. Jeff67

Jeff67 Country Gent

Nov 3, 2019
    Crockett, Texas
    I have the same quality control inspectors. They do a great job on guitar cases!;)

12. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Yep. It takes a real pro to do the job right.

Jeff67 likes this.
  13. RG7X

RG7X Synchromatic

Nov 11, 2018
    Los Angeles
    Big time. Plus as you mentioned the scale length which is very appealing for Jaguars.

14. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Congrats again sir!

15. ishtar

ishtar Country Gent

That's surf green? Is there some lighting aspect messing with the hue? Wonderful! Congrats, Mark!

16. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Oh my, how did we not get that on the first try? Lovely. I was really hoping it would go through Abilene (Dave Alvin) - that is one of my favorite songs.

17. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I want that:oops:

18. Stefan87

Stefan87 Synchromatic

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    Congrats on finally getting your Jag, looks good.

19. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    So, I put it on the amp. The pickups wanted to be raised, but that's no big deal. I have it fairly well balanced at this point. Amplified, its surprising. There's a balance between bright and warm. Through a mellow pedal, such as an EHX Soul Food, it's surprisingly mellow, even in single coil mode. Just a bit of drive makes this guitar into a Soft Rock monster. You can drive it harder and get the tones of the Hard Rock era, but I was astounded by how mellow it could get with just a bit of drive to take the edge off.

With nothing but added reverb, the crisp Fender single coil sound comes straight through and the Telecaster DNA proclaims its presence. I will risk being charged with heresy, but Jaguars and Telecasters are actually more closely related than first glance might lead you to believe. In the mid sixties, it wasn't unusual for a Country Guitar-slinger to use a Jaguar. That's probably more what Leo Fender had in mind when he developed it, given his tastes in music.

A bit of Fenderology might be in order. Leo Fender started out making amps and lap steels. He took the lap steel design as a basis for the Telecaster and gave the electric guitar a new voice. The Stratocaster was designed as a replacement for the Tele, but the bridge/tailpiece design gave the instrument different characteristics, which made it another new voice for the electric guitar era. The Jazzmaster was actually designed to be an archtop replacement, but instead came away as yet another voice in the electric world.

The Jaguar came along 4 years later and, IMO, was probably an attempt to get back to the original Fender sound. It was not likely that Leo was thinking Surf Music when this guitar was in development. Surf was really just coming into its own about the time it was released and I would assume that there was some development time involved, so it may well have been conceived in the late '50s or very early '60s, which was before Surf was a thang. There may have been some consciousness of Duane Eddy's sound, but as far as the cranked Showman, 6G15 Tube Reverb (with all the dials at 6) Surf sound is concerned, that probably wasn't the game plan when Leo Fender was crafting this design.

Anyhow, I said all that to say all this; even the humbucker equipped Jag' is a twangmeister of the highest order. It may not have precisely the Tele sound, but it's definitely a favored descendant in the Tele family.

The humbuckers seem somewhat out of place on a Jaguar, and are probably a nod to the Grunge often played on Jaguars. They are strong and will earn their keep if you are looking for a distorted sound. But they are also capable of a strong, clean sound. As full sized humbuckers go, they seem not to suffer from a muddy nature, but retain a nice balance of clarity and strength. Fender calls these the Atomic Humbucker, which would bring to mind images of a brute which melts the grids right out of 12AX7 tubes, but it's actually fairly well behaved.

The transition from humbucking mode to single coil mode does not produce a significant change in volume. This makes the ability to switch back and forth actually useful. My Custom Telecaster FMT HH has great humbuckers that can be split down to single coils, but the volume change is quite significant and switching modes in the middle of a song would require a major change at the volume pot. No such problem with this axe.

One thing that has changed in the matter of newer guitars, is the fretboard wood. Rosewood is restricted and many manufacturers are turning to alternatives. The Pau Ferro fretboard is a new experience to me, but I like it, like it, yes I do. It's a pleasant color, somewhat lighter than rosewood, but quite attractive. The feel is perfect.There is an interesting character to the woodgrain, as well.

Overall, it's an appealing little guitar. Compared to the 16 & 17 inch Gretsch I'm accustomed to playing, it feels small, almost toy-like. It's kind of a fun little guitar to toss around while playing. I could see this being a lot of fun on stage. It may not pass the muster among Surf purists, but I came away with the impression that it is actually pretty decent sounding for Surf. The trem' works as a trem' should and the overall function of the guitar is excellent. It's a versatile instrument, although I don't know that I could coax a credible Gretsch sound from it.

It's noticeably smaller than the average guitar. I like it.

It bends very easily with the OEM 10s, I couldn't imagine going lighter, unless I was possessed by the spirit of Billy Gibbons. :)
    Thanks.
    Nope, Surf Green, to match it's surf-like personality.
    I'm feeling a little cheated that I didn't get to use By The Time I Get To Phoenix". :)

BTW, Abilene is a great song.
    Who wouldn't? :)

JeffreyLeePierre and ishtar like this.
  20. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Thanks Stefan.

BTW, I manage a firewall in Brisbane, so I "visit" there from time to time. Nice folks, on site.

Stefan87 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.