Who are your influences?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Stan, Apr 8, 2010.

1. Stan

Stan Electromatic

Jan 27, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    I'm just curious to see what kind of musical and influential differentiation lurks within Gretsch players.

My major influences are Link Wray, Jim Heath, Scott Ian, Rick Nielson, Dave Murray and Adrian Smith. Not all Gretsch players but my musical influences none the less.

So who has stirred your musical soul?

2. budman1950

budman1950 Electromatic

Feb 3, 2010
    Dayton, OH
    Well, the guy that got me to pick up a guitar in the first place was Alvin Lee, followed closely by George Harrison. Other major influences were The Ventures and Chuck Berry.

3. OpenMike1963

OpenMike1963 Country Gent

Mar 30, 2009
    Alexandria, Virginia
    I always start with Steve Howe - no one beats Steve in musicianship on guitar.

After that, there are tons of boiler-plate names:
    George Harrison, Jimmi Hendrix, Scotty Moore, Eric Clapton, Frank Zappa, Andre Segovia, Eric Lifeson, Steve Hackett,Jimmy Page, Stevei Ray Vaghn, Nancy Wilson, Steve Miller, Eddie Van Halen, B.B. King, The Edge, David Gilmour, Paul Simon, Bob Marley, Lowell George, Dave Davies, Tom Petty, Kieth Richards, Ritchie Blackmore, Lindsey Buckingham, Chuck Berry, Stephen Stills, Neil Young, Gerry Garcia, ....

(gimme a few, I can come up with more)

If they were in a major act before 1990, they probably count among my influences.

-OpenMike

Last edited: Apr 8, 2010
  4. chicago slim

chicago slim Gretschie

Dec 27, 2008
    Bowling Green, KY
    I've always loved rock-a-billy. So my biggest influences are:

Carl Perkins
    Cliff Gallup
    George Harrison
    Brian Setzer
    Jeff Beck

I've also been greatly influenced by many no-name local players, friends and family.

Jelly Roll Horton likes this.
  5. MacPhisto

MacPhisto Gretschie

Apr 11, 2009
    Kah-lee-faw-nia
    at the beginning, Stephen Stills, Neil Young, Pete Townshend, Chuck Berry. shortly thereafter, Jerry Garcia, Duane Allman, Jorma Kaukonen in Hot Tuna, John Cipollina from Quicksilver. Leo Kottke. Robbie Robertson on the Dylan "Royal Albert Hall" bootleg. Keef's open-G rhythm guitar style. David Lindley, Los Angeles' utility infielder. Pops Staples' use of amplifier vibrato. Joni Mitchell's galaxy of alternate tunings. Richard Thompson. The Edge. Robert Fripp's looping techniques. Bob Mould from Husker Du. Kevin Shields of My Bloody Valentine. Graham Coxon out of Blur. Daevid Allen of Gong. Doug Hopkins from the Gin Blossoms, orchestrating the songs with long strings of octave lines.

6. wpgjazzman

wpgjazzman Gretschie

Nov 28, 2008
    Winnipeg Canada
    In alphabetical order: Chet Atkins, Duane Eddy, Hank Garland and Merle Travis.

7. rockabilly-rebel

rockabilly-rebel Country Gent

Jul 21, 2009
    Derbyshire, England
    Buddy Holly, Eddie Cochran, Brian Setzer, Chuck Berry, Duane Eddy

Jelly Roll Horton likes this.
  8. tyguy

tyguy Synchromatic

Nov 17, 2009
    madisonville tn
    Almost right on for me too.'C ept I'd go with Jimmy Bryant over Duane Eddy although,Duane was a big influence on the bass strings. The Best "TROLL"

9. Brian Damage

Brian Damage Banned

Mar 9, 2010
    Oklahoma
    Scotty Moore, my Dad, My Uncle Butch, Cliff Gallup, Duane Eddy, Merle Travis, Joe Maphis, Luther Perkins (taught me that sometimes simple is more cool than complex), Hank Marvin, Jerry Reed, Brian Setzer, Poison Ivy, Jim Heath...I will stop or else I will ramble on forever. I can just say I have been influenced in some way by every single guitarist I have ever heard. Even the crappy ones.

10. Lee Erickson

Lee Erickson Country Gent

Apr 20, 2009
    Eagan, MN
    I spent most of my early days working very hard on the recordings of Bob Bogle, Rich Fifield, Lonnie Mack and Mike Bloomfield. There's a long list of guitar players that had more historical significance, but these were the guys accessible to me at the time. This was a long time ago, but more than half of my lifetime effort has gone here.

When I jumped to my acoustic phase, Leo Kottke and Willis Alan Ramsey were what I listened to. I developed a hybrid style tho. Maybe the days of watching James Burton on the 'Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet' and 'Shindig' had some influence.

In my old age I've drifted into playing Jazz tunes. I look to Oscar Moore, Joe Pass, Kenny Burrell and Junior Barnard for ideas now.

Lee

11. Duo Gent

Duo Gent Gretschie

Jan 27, 2010
    Louisiana
  12. Brian Damage

Brian Damage Banned

Mar 9, 2010
    Oklahoma
    And you couldn't really ask for a better one. I was listening to Revolver last night and thinking about how damn near perfect George was as a guitarist.

MTurner and Jelly Roll Horton like this.
  13. ishtar

ishtar Country Gent

Jeff Spicoli.

MTurner likes this.
  14. Manic

Manic Country Gent

Dec 5, 2009
    I cannot name specific individuals, just that everyone I listen to in irish trad, blues, bluegrass, klezmer and gospel gives me a little something to learn and enjoy.

Though, I can thank Brian Setzer specifically for my enjoyment of rockabilly. I am a child of the 80's.

15. bobkat

bobkat Country Gent

Jun 2, 2008
    Valparaiso Indiana
    Duuuuhhh, what BD said!:D except for his Dad and Uncle Butch.

16. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    So now that you have that fancy blonde guitar you think you're better than dad & Uncle Butch. :)

17. hotraman

hotraman Gretschie

Mar 18, 2009
    Camas, Wa
    Duane Allman, EC, among others.
    Stephen Stills and Neil Young are my Gretsch influences.
    Also, Vince Gill for country.

18. bobkat

bobkat Country Gent

Jun 2, 2008
    Valparaiso Indiana
    Dad and Uncle Butch made me uncomfortable! Now my Dad and Uncles Glen, Bill, and Woody did show me some stuff. I used to watch Johnny Cash's show and got to see him with Carl Perkins and the whole gang live at the state fair, 10th row in the middle! I was 10 it really effected me. I also saw Buck Owens when I was 8 at the Oregan Davis High school. When I was 12. I went to a concert with my oldest sister at the university and saw Bonnie Delaney and Company with a young Eric Clapton playing guitar. They were very loud! Saw Tex Ritter at the county fair when I was 6 and also shook hands with Dan Blocker, his hand were soft and huge like a big women! I thought that was funny. We also met Dale Robertson once and Arlo Guthrey at the airport. Ran into Tom T. Hall in a Waffle shop in Lafayette In, that was cool. Stood about 2 foot away from Julia Roberts and Nick Nolte while they filmed a movie in Chicago, but they don't play guitar! Julia is real purdy, sort of like the Prom Queen with red hair. If she played a Prom Queen she would be even purdier. Ok time to go to bed Night Night!

Last edited: Apr 9, 2010
  19. mr coffee

mr coffee Country Gent

Oct 7, 2009
    Houston
    Every once in a while, I start to feel a little out of place around here...then I see Fripp, Husker Du and My Bloody Valentine. :)

Anyway...me? Well, I'd have to start with Dad, all my early memories have Dad and his guitar. I remember sitting on the living room floor listening to Doc Watson 8-tracks. Does that mean I should include Doc? Maybe...he's a helluva picker. Anyway, once I got rolling, I'd have to say I'd include Chuck Berry, Eric Clapton, Jimmy Page, Hendrix, the usual suspects...as I developed a little I'd include Hetfield & Mustaine, Svet Am (Guenter Schulz - KMFDM), and later, Jesper Stromblad (In Flames) and such. More recently, I've been looking back to my roots in blues and early rock...

-m

20. spikeskug

spikeskug Gretschie

Jul 23, 2009
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Brian Setzer has been a huge influence on my playing, but I gotta say, it was seeing Chris Cheney of the Living End play at my first show which got me started. Right when I got home from the show I grabbed my lil brother's long forgotten Strat knock off and his "how to learn guitar" book. Haven't looked back since then. Boy am I glad that I have the good fortune of being in the Gretsch community! :D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.