White Falcon Rancher Acoustic/Electric String Gauge?

tartanphantom

Friend of Fred
Jul 30, 2008
Murfreesboro, TN
While I don't have a WF version, I do have an earlier Gretsch Jumbo.

I've used the D'Addario EJ19 Bluegrass Hybrid set exclusively for 15 years. The B and high E strings are the same as the EJ16 set, but the wound strings are a slightly heavier, giving it a little more mid-low punch when strumming. I also found that I don't break the G-string (if one breaks, it's usually the first to go due to the thin core) nearly as often with the EJ19 set.

Both sets are phosphor bronze and will have similar timbre voicing and playing life (G-string not withstanding).

compare the set gauges--

EJ16: 12-16-24-32-42-53

EJ19: 12-16-25-35-45-56

mrfixitmi

Country Gent
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 20, 2010
Michigan
On our Falcon Rancher Penguin, due to heavy use we use the Elixir Nanoweb Phosfor Bronze 12-53 product #16052.

And for the 12 string Falcon rancher Jumbo we also us the Elixir Nanoweb Phosphor Bronze 10-47 product #11152. These retain their tone longer than the un-coated strings ,and on the 12 string we were not replacing the high every three weeks when we used the Elixir.

Robert Keyes

Electromatic
I noticed that on my White Falcon Acoustic Electric that the strings are extremely close and when I play lead or strum with a fairly strong but common pick attack it seems to buzz on most frets, it's hard to describe what I mean here but when I strum or pick hard, the strings almost are way too close to the frets especially around where it's joined to the body and even some frets buzz on around the 16th fret. Does anyone have this issue where it seems the set up I got from the shop is super close? Maybe I'll do a video soon to explore this again its really annoying for a guitar at such a price of around 900 dollars plus tax.

Highroller

Country Gent
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 11, 2015
Portland, OR
I've had a regular Rancher Jumbo for years and seems I've tried a lot of different things on it. It does like Phospher Bronze strings over the 80/20 types (harshly bright) and I wouldn't necessarily say 12-gauge sets are your only choice. I use 11-52s most of the time, even 10-47 with OK results as long as you're amped. They're reasonably versatile guitars.

I like D'Addario myself, but it doesn't hurt to try different stuff.

However, that fret buzz issue you mention isn't a good thing and won't go away just by switching strings. Assuming you don't have a problem with the neck, it's possible the bridge is just set too low. You could have a tech look at it, or try shimming it yourself with a small sliver of wood under the piezo. Wooden matches can be helpful for that purpose, you can easily shave them with a razor blade if they're a little too high out of the box.

Congrats, Welcome to the forum, and don't worry. You'll get the set up stuff solved and once you do, you've got a great guitar that'll be good to go for years!

Latest posts