White Falcon Jr. (Wildwood Exlcusive) vs. White Falcon Players Edition

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by acousticplays, Nov 14, 2016.

1. acousticplays

acousticplays Gretschie

Jan 31, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    If you were choosing between two White Falcons, which would you choose, and why?

The Wildwood Falcon isn't a real "Jr" as per say, but the slightly smaller body and shorter scale sounds like it would be a bit more comfortable to play.

https://wildwoodguitars.com/product/JT13062757/gretsch-wildwood-exclusive-g6136t-white-falcon-jr/

On the other hand, the new Player's Edition White Falcon is also very appealing, with the string-through Bigsby and also shallower body than a normal Falcon.

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item...+2401501+805&gclid=CMCNnLeCqdACFQgIaQodIEwFVQ

Both come with Filtertrons, the B6 Bigsby, and all the appointments that make a Falcon, a Falcon.

2. Dead Roman

Dead Roman Country Gent

Dec 22, 2015
    Texas
    Personally, I dig the big body of a falcon. I play rock, the charm of playing a hollowbody is its not easy.

3. DaddyDog

DaddyDog Country Gent

Sep 18, 2011
    Mississauga, Canada
    Too close to call.

Note: locking tuners, pinned rocker bridge, and mud switch on the PE Falcon. Not so on the JR.

4. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Let me say I'm not a fan of any Jr Gretsch--no disrespect at those that have em and like em, but to me they look like they got caught in a shrinking ray-gun experiment. The proportions are all off.

So, like the Tele purist I tend to be, if you can't rock the sometimes uncomfortable big body, then get a Jet, a 5422, something else, because that Cadillac of a headstock commands 17 inches, and a longer scale is part of the sound. Just my 2 cents. :)

Uniblob likes this.
  5. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    Long story short, the players edition has the much better specs and better bridge.

audept likes this.
  6. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    +1 !

7. fender62custom

fender62custom Gretschified

Mar 3, 2012
    Helidon, Australia
    +2

8. acousticplays

acousticplays Gretschie

Jan 31, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks for the input everyone!

Another factor that it comes down to is price:

I called Wildwood Guitars to speak to them about their model, and they said the lowest they can do on that particular Falcon is $2,350.

On the other hand, I have not yet seen the Players Edition Falcon dip below $3,000 (which I'm sure is because not many have been sold yet and are being listed on the used market).

I do already have a jet, so if I ever needed that smaller body, it's always right there. It's just always been a dream to own a Falcon, and I guess there's just so many variations that it's kind of hard to pick!

BorderRadio likes this.
  9. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Contact Rocky at Streetsounds NYC.

10. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Lol!

11. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    A penguin?!?! ;)

BorderRadio likes this.
  12. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    A Penguin is a weird gray duck. He just waddles off into the sunset....

A Falcon swoops in for the kill...:D

acousticplays and Henry like this.
  13. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    But a Falcon can't swim ;)

Let me add the Panther, which is super versatile without the huge body depth. And it has much better high fret access. Maybe not that impressive form the audience perspective, but definitely from the player's perspective.

Henry and BorderRadio like this.
  14. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Even if one is diminutive they will become larger than life with a proper White Falcon :D Some may not be a fan, but they can't deny the Gretsch goodness (ceramic Blacktops no less):

C30, C60, C90, Go!

Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
  15. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    Who's a fan of that should get a Billy Duffy Falcon, but after trying it out and comparing it to the red special edition TVTAFR, I found the later to be the much better guitar and bought that.

And this red Falcon comes pretty close to the white players edition regarding specs ... TVJ Classics versus HS Filtertrons and True-Arc versus Rocking Bar bridge.

Attached Files:

16. acousticplays

acousticplays Gretschie

Jan 31, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Mmm...those hump inlays.

Remember, Greg Koch is a pretty big dude...that "Jr" doesn't look that much smaller than a full 17'' Falcon I think.

17. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    I dunno man, "Gristle-Tone" Koch makes that Jr look like a tiny Penguin, and obscenely large f-holes....:D

acousticplays likes this.
  18. acousticplays

acousticplays Gretschie

Jan 31, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    His hands are just too gigantic for any guitar he picks up! :D

BorderRadio likes this.
  19. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit

BorderRadio and Aymara like this.
  20. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    It's noticably smaller ... somewhere between Falcon and Les Paul I would say.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.