While waiting on UPS for NGD, NDD instead!?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by RRGuitarCo, Aug 14, 2021.

1. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Country Gent

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    Congrats on a great day. Nice score on the drums and the guitar. Enjoy them.

section2 and RRGuitarCo like this.
  2. RRGuitarCo

RRGuitarCo Gretschie

May 23, 2021
    San Diego CA
    Wow I've never seen that Chevy set before, that's gorgeous!!! If I would've known that existed, I would've held out lol.
    When I rolled into the shop this morning, my business partner/BFF had spent a few hours cleaning it up, hand buffing and polishing the chrome as well as finish with some wax n feed.
    I have to say, without the dust and hand prints, this set looks incredible!
    The finish on the wood reminds me of a sweet vintage Tennessee Rose.

Oh it was a fantastic day lol.
    I LOVE the orange finish on your set BTW, it looks incredible!
    I fell in love with this kit all over again today seeing it cleaned up, but now that I see yours, I reckon I may have gotten the wrong color...

thunder58 and section2 like this.
  3. RRGuitarCo

RRGuitarCo Gretschie

May 23, 2021
    San Diego CA
    Hey man, quick question.
    Did your Catalina Maples come with the hole in the front or did you add it?
    If you added it, then what was the reasoning?
    I'm completely ignorant when it comes to drums, and my friend wants to cut a whole in mine but I told him to piss off lol, I like the sound it has already.

4. Highroller

Highroller Country Gent

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Ha - no such thing as a wrong color! They're all good, but thanks.

The hole (which I added, and is known as a "port hole") does a couple things. It allows air to flow out of the drum when struck from the batter side, which slightly deadens the resonance of the drum and helps minimize the "bounce-back" you'll feel in the pedal.

But it also acts as a microphone port. If you're recording your drums, depending on the sound you're looking for, you may wind up wanting your mic waaay into the drum, almost touching the back side of the batter head. The port lets you get it in there without completely removing the head. At the time I had those, I was doing a lot of home recording, so that was a thing for me.

You can buy a wide variety of port collars at your local drum shop or online - they don't cost much and are super easy to install.

RRGuitarCo and section2 like this.
  5. Highroller

Highroller Country Gent

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Oh yeah, it'll also give your cat a cool place to hang out ...

cat.jpg

6. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    If it makes you feel any better, that 57 Renown set costs about twice as much as a set of new Catalina Maples. :)

RRGuitarCo likes this.
  7. Ricochet

Ricochet Senior Gretsch-Talker

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Very nice! Congrats!

RRGuitarCo likes this.
  8. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Here's the best of both worlds
    https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...VTfvICh3fLg4FEAQYAiABEgLT3vD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

RRGuitarCo likes this.
  9. RRGuitarCo

RRGuitarCo Gretschie

May 23, 2021
    San Diego CA
    Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

That's just beautiful! If I ever get good at drums, I look forward to upgrading the set in the future, probably with something like this.

thunder58 likes this.
  10. JC higgy

JC higgy Gretschified

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Congrats RR,nice kit and geet!

I still have my dads old kit,it's not a Gretsch kit though.

RRGuitarCo likes this.
  11. tjkage

tjkage Electromatic

Nov 11, 2020
    Midland, Texas
    great price for that one I bet.

12. tjkage

tjkage Electromatic

Nov 11, 2020
    Midland, Texas
    great rice for that one I bet.

13. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

Congrats and very nice score on the drums! Sounds like a really good deal. Like the little Penguin too, you had a heck of a day.

RRGuitarCo likes this.
  14. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    So now that you have had the Penguin for a few days how do you like it. I have posted my opinion a few times but I am curious of your take on its physical attributes and its sound.

RRGuitarCo likes this.
  15. amp360

amp360 Synchromatic

Oct 21, 2012
    Maryland
    Love my Catalina Club kit. I think I paid $400 for it brand new.

[​IMG]

RRGuitarCo likes this.
  16. RRGuitarCo

RRGuitarCo Gretschie

May 23, 2021
    San Diego CA
    I think it's great for what it is.
    It's a good all around strummer and fingerpicker.
    The Good: Playability, this is SUPER comfy to play and very easy. VERY confortable neck. The fretwork is very clean and overall it's a great little guitar. I've been dragging it all over the house with me this week and have thoroughly enjoyed it.
    The Bad: The fit and finish work is pretty awful, there's overspray inside the guitar and on the fingerboard. Overspray on parts of the sparkle binding, while other parts weren't scraped cleanly. Just a TON of little details. Luckily it was nothing a fresh razor blade, a scraper, 0000 steel wool and some elbow grease weren't able to handle. I mean, it's a cheap import guitar after all, and I've had plenty of electromatics with the same issues so no biggie.
    The tone is where she falls short, it has almost no volume relative to literally ANY other acoustic we have laying around. That's not to say there isn't a beautiful complexity to the sound. I'm pleasently surprised by the low end and great bass tone from the maple box. Thing is, the high side of the tone is super thin and weak. Even a bit nasally at times. It's a great fingerpicker by the nut but when I go up the neck for some chordal melody, it's not as full as I'd like it to be. Overall it sounds fantastic for something I paid just over $300 for and I'm content.
    Like I said before, it's a cheap guitar and most of her tonal pitfalls, are due to the cheaper than dirt plastic nut, ill fitting plastic bridge saddle and plastic pins.
    Over the next few weeks I'm going to take it back to my shop and hand carve out a bone nut and saddle, throw the pickup in the trash(I don't need/want it) and fit some new bone or ebony bridge pins. That should bring some of that brightness back out and really give her a lot of tone and volume that is missing. I'll probably throw a set of grovers on it at some point as well.
    I think this can be an excellent guitar with some love.
    Overall I feel this guitar is a great value for the money.
    HOWEVER, Alvarez has a 000 model like this in their Artist Series for about $100 less and it is a WAY better instrument and value in every way....it just doesn't match my Falcon lol.

Bertotti likes this.
  17. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    My Little Martin is more to my liking and my 000-18Ge blows it away. I bought it on a whim and if someone was looking for an inexpensive guitar this would work well because it sounds good plugged in as well. I find it heavy and think if they lightened up the construction it would sound like a different better instrument. I might let mine go before Christmas if there is a shortage I'll be closer to getting my money back on it. And to reiterate it doesn't sound bad it is to me, a cross between my Little Martin with a Sitka top and a Taylor. I'm not a Taylor guy. All the ones I have tried sound kind of like your description of the Parlour. Not bad but not me. If I didn't have the two Martins I would be perfectly happy with it, but when I can hear them and it, it lacks.

18. RRGuitarCo

RRGuitarCo Gretschie

May 23, 2021
    San Diego CA
    I agree that maybe if it was lightened up it might sound better, but it's a cheap ass guitar. You're comparing it to your hand made American Martin, which in the Penguins defense just isn't fair.
    That's like complaining my G5420 just doesn't sound as nice as my black falcon, I feel that much is pretty obvious.
    If you look at it for what it is, a cheap ass import guitar, then I feel like it's a good instrument and worth the money.
    I have a few other Parlors that blow this away, certainly; but for jamming around the house on a lazy day, she's perfect.
    Are there better guitars for a better deal? Probably, but for the modern Gretsch enthusiast, it doesn't get much better than that sparkly headstock.
    Just sayin'...

Bertotti likes this.
  19. karl1672

karl1672 Electromatic

Aug 9, 2021
    New Hampshire
    Awesome score!

RRGuitarCo likes this.
  20. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I'll counter any comparison is fair when you own both or are considering both, it's only natural to compare. And I agree it is a nice guitar and like I said if I didn't have either of my Martins I would be perfectly happy with this one. But my personal criteria has been driven up, that's on me. I would not talk someone out of this guitar if it was down to the price range you paid for it. I paid a couple hundred more and it is still a respectable guitar but at 500 there are other options that would need to be evaluated along with it. And the pickup works very well at that price point plus the heavier top may feed back less. My Martin is very sensitive to feedback, That can be a pain. So much to think about when buying, personal tastes, what it is to be used for, sometimes the appearance of it, the electronics, etc. Even at 500 it is a nice guitar.

RRGuitarCo likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.