Which Wah do you rock?

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by Merc, Oct 13, 2020.

1. Hammerhands

Hammerhands Country Gent

Aug 26, 2011
    Winnipeg
    You don't want to change without having used another wah for a long evaluation period, trust me, I know!

I've got a Morley SLWA that looks a lot like this one, except no switch. I used to use it with a Boss LS-2 so I could blend in some clean sound. I built a true-bypass loop switch and a solo pedal in the same box, the bypass has mini switch that allows a bit of clean signal to bleed through, or it will squeal if you're unlucky.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2020
    Merc likes this.
  2. Gretschmen65

Gretschmen65 Synchromatic

May 20, 2016
    QLD Australia
    Time to "fess up. Never used one.:eek:

Merc likes this.
  3. S. Rock

S. Rock Friend of Fred

I bought a Crybaby so many years that I can't remember just when I bought it. I remember the store I bought it at and I remember it was for a very good price. but dang if I can remember when I got it.

Merc likes this.
  4. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Merc, Waxhead and LivingMyDream like this.
  5. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Friend of Fred

Mine is the CryBaby 535Q. I found it used at a local music store, and had never used a wah before. I didn't realize what I gem I had found until I started started reading about it's controls. It's a great wah, although I don't use it on a regular basis.

20201013_203107[1].jpg

6. Zeek

Zeek Synchromatic

May 29, 2016
    Illinos USA
  7. Misty Mountain Hop

Misty Mountain Hop Gretschie

Feb 14, 2012
    Washington
    I can tell you that dog hair enhances your tone. Trust me I have 6 Labradors that are constantly helping me improve my tone and the taste of my food!

Merc, SpaceCowboy and LivingMyDream like this.
  8. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    yeah that 535Q is the best of all the crybabies imo - good score :D

Merc and LivingMyDream like this.
  9. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    There are some cool wahs here. I have a Mission ReWah Pro. Just rejiggered the board and I am gonna give the H9+expression pedal a try.

Merc and Waxhead like this.
  10. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Might this thread temp you? ;)

Gretschmen65 likes this.
  11. Highroller

Highroller Synchromatic

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    I keep this around because it was my first effects pedal, but I haven't used it in decades. Original early 70's Thomas Organ Cry Baby Wah-Fuzz. The bar across the top kicked the fuzz in, but everything was preset at the factory and you had to remove the back and adjust the trim pots with a screwdriver to change the settings. Maybe OK for a wah, but sorta dumb for a fuzz. LoL!

Anyway, it's kind of an unusual pedal. The pics are from Reverb, but about the same condition as mine - apparently these are worth almost $200 these days!

wtf !!!

wah1.jpg wah2.jpg

Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
    loudnlousy and Merc like this.
  12. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    I have one of these, too. Although I am not sure whether this one is made in Italy or in the UK. All I know is that it was already very, very old and ragged when I got it in the early eighties. So I strongly guess that it is early seventies or older:
    IMG_3006.jpg
    It was a present from a friend who used to airbrush album-art. After getting to know him he told me that he had a bag of guitar-rubbish and whether I was interested to dispose it for him. To my surprise there were some little treasures in there. Among some vintage MXR and Electro Harmonix stuff there was this cool wah. It sounds really vocal and the mechanical range of the pedal is a bit narrower than my beloved Italian Jen CryBaby Super:
    IMG_3002.jpg
    I bought this one in the very early eighties and played it ever since.
    I still got it`s original box, instructions-sheet and bag:
    IMG_3007.jpg
    I became so accustomed to it`s throaty and guttural sound that I found it difficult to get accustomed to any other Wah.
    In fact I searched high and low during the last couple of years to get a proper replacement for it in case it goes defective or lost. But I could not find one like this at a non-idiotic price.
    30 years back I had an identical backup that I foolishly traded for a Watkins Copycat tape echo.

I feel that this special model has nothing to do with any iteration of the CryBaby I ever tried in my life. This one roars and growls like a beast. I was instantly reminded of Michael Schenker`s original solo-voice when I plugged it into my Marshall. (Sadly it did not make me play like Schenker.)
    Although it gives no output-boost at all when activated (in fact I feel that the volume is even slightly dropping) I feel that it carries my tone with a supple compression and elevates it in a nice position in the band -mix.
    I love this pedal so much.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
    Merc, Gretschtim1 and Waxhead like this.
  13. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    You might find this interesting:

Merc and Waxhead like this.
  14. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Cool, I've never seen one of those! I have an old Dunlop GCB95O(O for Octave) somewhere. Basically they crammed a Dunlop Bluebox circuit in a wah. Awesome, so far I've just not been able to find a practical use for it. ;)

Merc likes this.
  15. Lockupyourfatdog

Lockupyourfatdog Synchromatic

Aug 8, 2016
    Everett wa
    I use a Donner vowel! It’s a volume/wah pedal. I got it mainly to use as an on/off switch. As a volume pedal that’s all it’s really good for, but it is a surprisingly fun wah pedal. I have a cry baby too but this one
    upload_2020-10-14_16-53-10.jpeg

Attached Files:

Merc likes this.
  16. Gretschmen65

Gretschmen65 Synchromatic

May 20, 2016
    QLD Australia
    TBH. No.

I've heard some great stuff using wah. But I simply don't play anything where one might be required.

Robbie and Merc like this.
  17. old mark

old mark Gretschie

Had a Morley, gave it to a band called the Original Sins, who used it to record. I use an old Dimebag Darryl Crybaby, mostly for drive and tone...It just blows the sound out of the speakers.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020 at 9:12 AM
    Merc likes this.
  18. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Gretschie

Jan 11, 2019
    Wokingham
    I've got a late 60s(?) JEM Cry Baby, but after giving a quick try I found it wasn't something I particularly want or need to use. A friend of mine reckons it could be worth some money, so I guess I should sell it and buy pedals that I will use. I was given it years ago by a guy I used to jam with; he didn't use it either, so it's probably either seized up or not working in some way. :oops:

Merc likes this.
  19. Robbie

Robbie Friend of Fred

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    I’ve ignored wah pedals for years because I didn’t like what they did to my sound/tone when they were turned off. I’m sure there have been improvements over the years.

Merc likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.